I've been lurking in the shadows soaking up what bits of knowledge I could from you guys & figured it was about time I said hello to everyone.

I'm still getting my feet wet in Saiga territory, but after seeing a Saiga-12 in person at the Police & Fire games last June, I knew I had to add one of these to my collection. The LEO who had it was all too happy to show it off & talk about all the modifications he had made to it, and I can tell you the only thing I didn't like was handing it back to him. Of course, now that I'm at the point to make a purchase, the stock of Saiga-12s have gone bone dry, but that's OK. I'll just keep reading & learning, pick up an accessory or two, and with a bit of luck I'll be ready to start making it "my Saiga" when it arrives.

Beyond that, I wanted to say thanks to all the folks who have made this place what it is. The information here is incredible, and while it would still be possible to go this project alone, it would be much, much more difficult without all the ideas & experience here to draw from.

I've been lurking in the shadows soaking up what bits of knowledge I could from you guys & figured it was about time I said hello to everyone.

I'm still getting my feet wet in Saiga territory, but after seeing a Saiga-12 in person at the Police & Fire games last June, I knew I had to add one of these to my collection. The LEO who had it was all too happy to show it off & talk about all the modifications he had made to it, and I can tell you the only thing I didn't like was handing it back to him. Of course, now that I'm at the point to make a purchase, the stock of Saiga-12s have gone bone dry, but that's OK. I'll just keep reading & learning, pick up an accessory or two, and with a bit of luck I'll be ready to start making it "my Saiga" when it arrives.

Beyond that, I wanted to say thanks to all the folks who have made this place what it is. The information here is incredible, and while it would still be possible to go this project alone, it would be much, much more difficult without all the ideas & experience here to draw from.

welcome to a " Newbie" from a " Newbie"...

Yes... this is a great forum... good, kind, genuine folks... with a minimum of the psudo-testosterone charged B.S. found on so many other "gun" forums... I think, likely, to our current set of moderators...

have you any other experience with variations of M.Kalashnikov's venerable design...?

built like a tank.. designed by a tank mechanic...!!

Hey gunhack,

Actually, this will be my first bit of experience with the AK design, but I do own a Baikal O/U that I shoot a lot of clay events with. Not a showpiece by any means, but you have to admire how Russian companies know how to build a functional weapon around a simple design, that, like you said, is built like a tank. I have no doubt I will be just as impressed with the Saiga-12.

The Saiga project looks like it will be more involved than anything else I have done to date, but for me, a weapon isn't right until its modified and customized it to fit you. I may end up tapping into some of the skills of others for some things, but for the most part, the Saiga design seems simple enough I can accomplish most of what I need to do. In any event, it looks to be a fun and rewarding project.

And I agree on the temperment of the forum. It's a comfortable atmosphere with people looking to help where they can...much like the folks at the local range I shoot at.

BTW, I love the kalashnikitty ;)

Hey gunhack,

Actually, this will be my first bit of experience with the AK design, but I do own a Baikal O/U that I shoot a lot of clay events with. Not a showpiece by any means, but you have to admire how Russian companies know how to build a functional weapon around a simple design, that, like you said, is built like a tank. I have no doubt I will be just as impressed with the Saiga-12.

The Saiga project looks like it will be more involved than anything else I have done to date, but for me, a weapon isn't right until its modified and customized it to fit you. I may end up tapping into some of the skills of others for some things, but for the most part, the Saiga design seems simple enough I can accomplish most of what I need to do. In any event, it looks to be a fun and rewarding project.

And I agree on the temperment of the forum. It's a comfortable atmosphere with people looking to help where they can...much like the folks at the local range I shoot at.

BTW, I love the kalashnikitty ;)

Where in Florida? As you can see I am on the run but I am in Florida.

Hey well come to the forum fellow Floridian, by the way you are like

one hour or less away from Chris butler shop ( AK- USA ) home of the best

AK-100 clones on Fort Myers, and about 45 minutes from manatee gun club

1000 meters rifle range, any way be cool and enjoy your new toy.

http://www.manateegunclub.com/index.html

here is a link just in case you dont know were is the 1000 meter range just in case you want to try any other

toys that can reach out there.

Vjor.

Edited by vjor

flg8r - I don't get up that way all that often, but I have been to some very nice ranges in that area. What do they run on Thursday eves...trap, skeet, 5-stand, sporting clays?

vjor - If you shoot at Manatee, I'm sure we've bumped shoulders at one point or another. Great range, great folks, so the 45-min drive doesn't bother me a bit. And I will be shooting the 1000yd range soon...just waiting on my Rem 700 which should be ready in Nov. If you see a some guys with a lot of guns taking up two or more tables each (usually with at least one Kel-tec PLR or SU-16 in the mix), drop by and say hi, it's probably us ;)

Roger that on AK-USA. I've got the site bookmarked...always nice to have a good gunsmith within driving distance.

flg8r - I don't get up that way all that often, but I have been to some very nice ranges in that area. What do they run on Thursday eves...trap, skeet, 5-stand, sporting clays?

vjor - If you shoot at Manatee, I'm sure we've bumped shoulders at one point or another. Great range, great folks, so the 45-min drive doesn't bother me a bit. And I will be shooting the 1000yd range soon...just waiting on my Rem 700 which should be ready in Nov. If you see a some guys with a lot of guns taking up two or more tables each (usually with at least one Kel-tec PLR or SU-16 in the mix), drop by and say hi, it's probably us ;)

Roger that on AK-USA. I've got the site bookmarked...always nice to have a good gunsmith within driving distance.

Thursday nights at the WAC is Action Shotgun...6:30pm... usually a move and shoot course with metal poppers and swingers. Hernando Sportsmans Club runs a pistol/shotgun action shoot on the second saturday of the month, usually 4 or 5 stages. Come on out and give it a try...most run benelli's but that will soon change :killer:

Thursday nights at the WAC is Action Shotgun...6:30pm... usually a move and shoot course with metal poppers and swingers. Hernando Sportsmans Club runs a pistol/shotgun action shoot on the second saturday of the month, usually 4 or 5 stages. Come on out and give it a try...most run benelli's but that will soon change :killer:

Now those are worth a trip! I can't think of a better way to work out the kinks of any modifications you make, and I have a few customized weapons I need to do just that with. I'll probably drag a couple of "sickos" I know along with me, but I'll give you a heads up when we get an outing together. I'd love to get a peek at what you did with your Saiga.

Kind of far for me, 2 hours or more, must of the time I hit markan park, like

10 minutes from my home in broward county, but I have not hit the range

to often this days, got the fishing fever for peacock bass and large mouth

spend must of my weekends chasing them on the canals all over

the county, plus some snook here and there.