Mounting your S12 for HD

Okay, so now I have my S12 converted, plenty of magazines....but how do I translate that into the practical? I want to have it handy and quickly accessible, but I have kids from 4 to 17, so it needs to be secured.

What are you guys using to keep your home defense shotgun ready for use? Pics and links are always appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

Hello, Navy87Guy

I'm in the fortunate position of having three sons who are old enough to know better, (and I take them to the range and wear 'em out regularly) along with grand kids who are too young to know better. (Less than a year)

So, I just keep my HD tools strategically dispursed around my house and two-car woodshop.

I pity the sucker who thinks he can kick my door in! And, with three German Wirehaired Pointers in the family, don't even fantasize about sneaking up.

I keep one S12 bedside, and one is in the wife's living room.

Sorry, not much in the way of mounting goes on at my house. Hmmm, that didn't really come out right.... :unsure:

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

I never have much trouble finding a weapon at my house....

That's ok and all but... where's the saiga-12? :lolol: Just kidding. Is that really your computer room? There is some very nice stuff stash in there. A whole lot of dream guns. Love the mini gun on the shelf and the...., and the...., and the...., and the......, and the......, and the......, (takes another deep breath) and the....., and the......, and the......!!!!!!!!

Okay, so now I have my S12 converted, plenty of magazines....but how do I translate that into the practical? I want to have it handy and quickly accessible, but I have kids from 4 to 17, so it needs to be secured.

What are you guys using to keep your home defense shotgun ready for use? Pics and links are always appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

In Jeff Cooper's book To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth he talks about double barreled shotguns being stored on shelves above door ways. They are out of sight but instantly ready. It is a little different with the lack of springs to wear out and the time you could leave it there without swapping mags.

The good thing is that it could be in a central location in the house, easily accessible and out of reach of the little fellas.

Thanks!

Jim

In Jeff Cooper's book To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth he talks about double barreled shotguns being stored on shelves above door ways. They are out of sight but instantly ready. It is a little different with the lack of springs to wear out and the time you could leave it there without swapping mags.

The good thing is that it could be in a central location in the house, easily accessible and out of reach of the little fellas.

That's a great idea! I'm gonna tell my wife we are decorating in early Jeff Cooper. She might go for it in the bedroom. :)

I have a G22 in a spring action safe with the finger grooved buttons mounted under the bed frame, A Saiga 12 in a upright safe in the closet with it being one spin off the final number, and a low powered flashlight to see. and a G27 located in the kitchen cabinets above the fridge. there are edged weapons in every closet and in various locations around the house. My goal is never to be more than two large steps away from something.

If I had Bobs stash I wouldn't worry, if someone broke in and saw all that, they would shit themselves and run! :eek:

Somewhere I saw a corner mount -- I think it was made by Knoxx but I can't find it anymore.

I hadn't thought about the "one number away" idea -- although that won't work it if gets bumped. I have my pistols in safes with electronic locks, so I'm a few button pushes away. I also have a gun downstairs in the hall closet in a Homak spring-loaded safe.

The S12 is still kicking my butt, though...secure and easy are hard to find together!

Jim

I never have much trouble finding a weapon at my house....

Desk.jpg

My brother showed me this photo this morning, and I have to call photoshop. There's no way Bob would have a live round in an MG sitting there. Also the shadow under the minigun doesn't seem quite right. Please tell me I'm wrong, because that's just a freaking awesome arsenal if it's real. :super:

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/hprajani/phun/1167850001208.jpg

Acer

Edited by acer_saiga308

I know this is blasphemy but if the SHTF I'm grabbing my Scattergun Technologies pump gun first and the ammo dumping saiga as a backup. I love my saiga but failure to feed=dead as is on any semi auto weapon in my experience other than a glock or an ak rifle. My saiga sbs shoots great but it does have a minor hiccup once in awhile. A pump gun always feeds and I've never seen a malfunction. Just my .02.

I'm curious...for those who are keeping a saiga for HD, as I am, how is it stored?

1. bolt closed on a live round, safety on

2. bolt closed on an empty chamber (safety off)

3. bolt locked back, magazine in

4. magazine not inserted, stored next to gun

I ask because of the classic "shotgun shell gets deformed" problem with number 2, and number 1 I guess too. Right now I keep a slug as my first round and I do the second scenario. I just check up on it from time to time. I would do the third scenario (bolt locked back) but the idea of it somehow failing and slipping off and chambering a round with the safety off gives me the heeby jeebies.

And re the initial post, mine is stowed in a bedroom closet.

Edited by EustaceLufgren
I know this is blasphemy but if the SHTF I'm grabbing my Scattergun Technologies pump gun first and the ammo dumping saiga as a backup. I love my saiga but failure to feed=dead as is on any semi auto weapon in my experience other than a glock or an ak rifle. My saiga sbs shoots great but it does have a minor hiccup once in awhile. A pump gun always feeds and I've never seen a malfunction. Just my .02.

This was my thread, so I feel free to go a little off topic! :)

There's a body of research that shows that pump shotguns have more failures to feed in high stress situations than semi-autos because of the human tendency to short stroke under stress. I know it seems like the opposite would be true, but a lot of people seem to tend the other way.

Everyone has to use whatever makes them comfortable!

Jim

My approach is simple. I keep a magazine inserted with a metal hull shell on top, the chamber empty and the safety off. It requires me or someone who knows how to chamber a cartridge and doesn't deform the ammo. I generally load at least one less than the maximum magazine load to take things easy on springs and such.

Edited by 1911
My approach is simple. I keep a magazine inserted with a metal hull shell on top, the chamber empty and the safety off. It requires me or someone who knows how to chamber a cartridge and doesn't deform the ammo. I generally load at least one less than the maximum magazine load to take things easy on springs and such.

Those metal hulls don't deform at all? I might have to get a box of those.

I'm usually closer to the AR or the Mossberg than the SAIGA for HD anyway :ph34r:

I've been waiting patiently for a metal hulled factory buckshot load...anyone got any sources? I know AIMsurplus was supposed to get them eventually.

Right now the only metal hull load I know is a birdshot load...I'd rather have something more stout for that first shot, in home defense.

I count the birdshot as a warning shot, followed by #00 Buck, followed by Slugs. Being a very reasonable guy, you have the option of saying "Uncle" at any time. Of course, this scenario follows 7-8 rds of flying ashtrays to be sure you are paying attention. :)

I've been waiting patiently for a metal hulled factory buckshot load...anyone got any sources? I know AIMsurplus was supposed to get them eventually.

Right now the only metal hull load I know is a birdshot load...I'd rather have something more stout for that first shot, in home defense.

You can easily take out the plastic plug in the front and replace the birdshot with some buckshot. reinsert the plug, and hit it with just a touch of superglue or wax and your in there. The bird shot steel hull seem to be a little hotter than reagular walmart cheapos as well.

"Is that Part of a DShK along the bottom of the screen? "

Possibly a PTRS Russian anti-tank rifle. As they are well over six feet in length, it wouldn't fit in the gunrack without hitting the ceiling. If the photo is real, then someone has an extremely serious gun collection and I will have a new folk hero!!