How gun friendly is Northern VA?

Hello everyone. I already have an x39 and a .223....and I recently ordered a S12 (it was only a matter of time).

I am considering to move to nothern VA. How gun friendly is this area? I read another post on some gun laws about shotguns with folding stocks and drums which may affect the S12. In particular, I am interested in participating in IDPA, USPSA and 3gun matches. Are there places to go for these type of events? What do ya'll think?

Wooofad -

You're coming to the right place. NoVa is a great area for shooting sports (not to mention the NRA National Headquarters is here!)

There are several monthly USPSA matches in short driving distance to NoVa. I shoot the matches down in Fredericksburg which are always excellent. Usually 7 stages and 150+ rounds per match. There are at least two other matches a month in the MD-VA area, not to mention matches down toward Richmond (less than a 2-hr drive). There are 3-gun matches in MD and down in the Richmond area, as well as tactical shotgun matches down in Norfolk (less than a 3-hr drive). Here's a link to the VA-MD Section page with all the info. I know the NRA range runs IDPA -- but I don't play that sport.

No concerns about your S12 here in the Commonwealth - you're good to go in whatever configuration you want.

PM me if you have any specific questions about the area.

Jim

Wooofad -

You're coming to the right place. NoVa is a great area for shooting sports (not to mention the NRA National Headquarters is here!)

There are several monthly USPSA matches in short driving distance to NoVa. I shoot the matches down in Fredericksburg which are always excellent. Usually 7 stages and 150+ rounds per match. There are at least two other matches a month in the MD-VA area, not to mention matches down toward Richmond (less than a 2-hr drive). There are 3-gun matches in MD and down in the Richmond area, as well as tactical shotgun matches down in Norfolk (less than a 3-hr drive). Here's a link to the VA-MD Section page with all the info. I know the NRA range runs IDPA -- but I don't play that sport.

No concerns about your S12 here in the Commonwealth - you're good to go in whatever configuration you want.

PM me if you have any specific questions about the area.

Jim

Thats great! Thanks for the prompt response. My move will likely come in August '08, so I am not quite ready with any specific questions, but your post has quelled some of my fears. It looks like there are fun times to look forward to.