Magwells for Saiga-12, stick mags and drums!!!!

Wait, let me put on my flame retardant suit first.....there.

Call me a heretic, but I worked hard to get away from Saiga-specific mags and to be able to use any AK mag on the street (figuratively or literally!) in my Saiga AK. As appealing as the idea of a magwell and drop free mags sounds, I'm not real keen on the idea of having to modify my AK mags to make it work. Right now I can grab any mag and throw it in either of my AK's. Having something that only works in my Saiga doesn't really motivate me. I don't object to making the mods to the gun itself irreversible (hell, I already cut off the tang!) but I don't like the idea of it needing special mags.

I know -- if I don't like it I don't have to install the mag well. Just consider this a vote in favor of a magwell that works with any standard mag.

Jim

I thought I remembered seeing this, MikeD said "I think I know how to make it where we won't even have to remove the front mag catch, still working on it." Post #37 on the Saiga 12 Forum thread about Rusmilitiary, Mags & Magwells. So it may be entirely possible for you to keep your mags bone stock. The other thing I think about is the fact that I sincerely doubt that I will find any Saiga 12 mags laying about in any kind of scenario. Perhaps you are thinking of AK rifle mags? No flame retardant suit necessary, just asking. :)

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I remembered seeing this, MikeD said "I think I know how to make it where we won't even have to remove the front mag catch, still working on it." Post #37 on the Saiga 12 Forum thread about Rusmilitiary, Mags & Magwells. So it may be entirely possible for you to keep your mags bone stock. The other thing I think about is the fact that I sincerely doubt that I will find any Saiga 12 mags laying about in any kind of scenario. Perhaps you are thinking of AK rifle mags? No flame retardant suit necessary, just asking. :)

Sorry, I should have clearer in talking about the extension from the S12 to other Saigas (as MD mentioned as a possibility in post #15 above

About the .308, I am going to look into the other saigas as well to see if a magwell would be feasible.

I agree 100% that S12 mags won't be found on the street during the next Katrina! For the S12 (and the whole shotgun family) it's a no brainer! My comments were meant to be directed at future versions for AK's.

Thanks for pointing out the confusion!

Jim

Here are some pics of the magwell installed. The mags go in very smooth. It is very nice. I'm telling you, a whole new world. This is going to make thing so much quicker to reload. Mags will drop when release is hit. An extended mag release will be key. I will also shoot a video showing just how easy it is. I will be making to different versions, one will be just for stick mags and the other will be for sticks and drums. There will be some very good and key improvements on my 2 models over the factory version. I meant to take some pics of the factory mag made for the magwell but forgot. I was thinking more of the importance of showing that it can take other mags. But I did mean to take some of the factory mag for it along with the difference in the follower. I will take some and also one of the original Russian 8 installed. Hope you like the pics for now. Better will come, including videos.

post-2662-1189910682_thumb.jpgpost-2662-1189910712_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

Can you tell us something about the installation procedure? Will it require welding? If not required, is it preferred to weld? The point of my questions is to figure out if these mags wells will be mostly new builds or if they can be retro-fitted on to existing conversion without having to redo the finish.

Thanks,

-J

Hi Mike,

Can you tell us something about the installation procedure? Will it require welding? If not required, is it preferred to weld? The point of my questions is to figure out if these mags wells will be mostly new builds or if they can be retro-fitted on to existing conversion without having to redo the finish.

Thanks,

-J

1liter is correct. No welding required. You shouldn't have to refinish your saiga after installation, unless your dremel gets away from you.

Sorry, know I'm new here, but I'm going to need to beg my boss for a raise.

Damn you Mike, taking away the reasons against buying a Saiga 12...

I empathize with your sentiments entirely. I just bit-the-bullet and ordered one of Mike's drums (and I don't yet own an S-12!!!)... and will be on the bandwagon with everyone else when Mike's magwells become available.

:super: ... :super: ... :super: ... :super:

Sorry, know I'm new here, but I'm going to need to beg my boss for a raise.

Damn you Mike, taking away the reasons against buying a Saiga 12...

I empathize with your sentiments entirely. I just bit-the-bullet and ordered one of Mike's drums (and I don't yet own an S-12!!!)... and will be on the bandwagon with everyone else when Mike's magwells become available.

:super: ... :super: ... :super: ... :super:

:super::super::super: Did I mention that once all these parts are available, reloading a saiga-12 will be faster than reloading an AR platform! It's now no longer a matter of if, but a matter of when (very soon!) :devil::devil::devil:

I'm a little lost, and sorry if this sounds like a dumb question..

But if you modify an AK mag, taking off the little lip thing like you seem to have to do for the magwell to work..

What is holding said mag in place?

Also, might be a while before I can afford the spare money to buy a Saiga 12, as roomate clearly pointed out to me, whenever I have extra money, something comes up to take it, or I've forgotten a bill..

Also.. Another silly question, possibly already answered, and a little off track.. I thought shotguns were limited to 10 rounds.. How can you make a 20 round drum without having that sweet sweet 200 dollar NFA tax stamp to label it as a DD?

I believe that issue of magazine capacity was hashed out pretty good in previous threads that you could prob find using the search function. More that one person here has stated that the BATFE told them that they can us a S-12 mag with 20 rounds........

Edited by cscharlie
I'm a little lost, and sorry if this sounds like a dumb question..

But if you modify an AK mag, taking off the little lip thing like you seem to have to do for the magwell to work..

What is holding said mag in place?

Also, might be a while before I can afford the spare money to buy a Saiga 12, as roomate clearly pointed out to me, whenever I have extra money, something comes up to take it, or I've forgotten a bill..

Also.. Another silly question, possibly already answered, and a little off track.. I thought shotguns were limited to 10 rounds.. How can you make a 20 round drum without having that sweet sweet 200 dollar NFA tax stamp to label it as a DD?

The magwell itself is holding the mag in place.

What ever you do you should get a saiga-12 even if you can't afford to do anything extra to it and only run your 5rd mag, even if you have to sell other guns to finance it :angel: !

There are MANY misconceptions on the round capacity for shotgun question. Also any shotgun with a drum isn't a streetsweeper. A streetsweeper is basically a revolver shotgun that holds 12rds. The tax stamp is only required for 3 shotguns; a USAS-12, Striker-12 and a Streetsweeper. The Striker-12 and Streetsweeper are the same gun. The Striker was made in South Africa and the Streetsweeper is an American made version of the Striker-12.

It is true that there are many other threads on the subject and would be best continue the conversation there. You can find them in the Saiga-12 section mostly and chances are find answer to other questions you have on it. It will give you insight into both sides of the argument.

Oh yeah! Welcome aboard!!! :super:

I just bit-the-bullet and ordered one of Mike's drums (and I don't yet own an S-12!!!)

...........heh, heh, heh, heh, heh................ Gary....Gary....Gary....Gary !!!!!!

Yea, I know Jeaux..... You said it first! 'Ole Gary will be pick'n himself up an S-12 sooner or later.... :lolol: .... :lolol: .... :lolol:

Mike, Would it be possible to use your Magwell and on a 12C with the folding stock with the factory Saiga 12 retaining latch?

Good question. I don't have one to compare it to. Could you post a pic of the retainer. Please make the pic a straight shot of the side and try to include the entire well area in the pic.

Hi Mike,Finding this thread has saved me from selling my s12 to help fund a vepr(http://www.guncity.co.nz/12ga-russian-ak47-style-shotgun-new-xidp163288.html) so thank you for saveing me two weeks pay!!!!

Do you know if your magwell will work with the vepr mags?

Your in NZ? The magwell will work with the mags pictured. One thing about those mags though is that they go in so tight they don't drop free when you hit the mag release. I am sure though you could sand or shave them down to get them to drop free. Also, was those mags originally 8rd but blocked for the NZ market?

Hi Mike,Finding this thread has saved me from selling my s12 to help fund a vepr(http://www.guncity.co.nz/12ga-russian-ak47-style-shotgun-new-xidp163288.html) so thank you for saveing me two weeks pay!!!!

Do you know if your magwell will work with the vepr mags?

Your in NZ? The magwell will work with the mags pictured. One thing about those mags though is that they go in so tight they don't drop free when you hit the mag release. I am sure though you could sand or shave them down to get them to drop free. Also, was those mags originally 8rd but blocked for the NZ market?

I am in the south island of New Zealand. Im glad that the vepr mags will fit as it looks like there wont be any more 7rnd saiga mags imported for almost a year.I have not taken one of the vepr mags apart but I asume that they are a 8rnd body with a block inside as are the 7rnd sagia mags. A big + 1 for the idea of being able to use the saiga mags with no mods to the mag as the idea of cuting up a $200 mag just makes me shake.