Magwells for Saiga-12, stick mags and drums!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike,Finding this thread has saved me from selling my s12 to help fund a vepr(http://www.guncity.co.nz/12ga-russian-ak47-style-shotgun-new-xidp163288.html) so thank you for saveing me two weeks pay!!!!

Do you know if your magwell will work with the vepr mags?

Your in NZ? The magwell will work with the mags pictured. One thing about those mags though is that they go in so tight they don't drop free when you hit the mag release. I am sure though you could sand or shave them down to get them to drop free. Also, was those mags originally 8rd but blocked for the NZ market?

I am in the south island of New Zealand. Im glad that the vepr mags will fit as it looks like there wont be any more 7rnd saiga mags imported for almost a year.I have not taken one of the vepr mags apart but I asume that they are a 8rnd body with a block inside as are the 7rnd sagia mags. A big + 1 for the idea of being able to use the saiga mags with no mods to the mag as the idea of cuting up a $200 mag just makes me shake.

I pretty much have desided against trying for a magwell that takes un modded saiga mags. The verp mags will work fine in it though without mods. What type of mags do you have to be exact? I might could make a small exception for you since you don't have a cheap mag souce there and do a mod to the magwell for you that will make it take original saiga mags. It would have to be specific though, either the 5rd or 8 (your 7 I think) and they wouldn't drop free when the release is hit.

Mike:

Let me rephrase that. I'd sure like to see a photo of one of the magazines that you modified out of the gun. I'd be real curious to see the front lip of the mag and the rear screw area of the 10 rounder.

Thanks,

LEO

I'll try and get you one soon. I am planning a new 10rder that will be magwell ready though. It will also come in an original lock format. It will be a one piece design as well ( no screws).

Mike:

Let me rephrase that. I'd sure like to see a photo of one of the magazines that you modified out of the gun. I'd be real curious to see the front lip of the mag and the rear screw area of the 10 rounder.

Thanks,

LEO

I'll try and get you one soon. I am planning a new 10rder that will be magwell ready though. It will also come in an original lock format. It will be a one piece design as well ( no screws).

*GROAAN* Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, one piece.

Mike

Can you enlarge the opening to kind of funnel the mag into position not too too much but a bit more of a flare might help us competitors out a lot and make the design stronger.

Well I wasn't going to mention it just incase someone else was working on one but staying low key about it. I thought it might help give me an edge. This is one of the improvements I was talking about. Not saying I'm a step ahead of ya, just stepping with ya! Got you boys covered. Any other hints what comp guys might like. I think I have it all covered but you never know. :super:

Mike

Can you enlarge the opening to kind of funnel the mag into position not too too much but a bit more of a flare might help us competitors out a lot and make the design stronger.

Well I wasn't going to mention it just incase someone else was working on one but staying low key about it. I thought it might help give me an edge. This is one of the improvements I was talking about. Not saying I'm a step ahead of ya, just stepping with ya! Got you boys covered. Any other hints what comp guys might like. I think I have it all covered but you never know. :super:

OOPS, guess I goofed on that one, but your right it will be a selling point. There are after market funnels for ARs and pistols, having one on a shotgun just makes sense.

Mike

OOPS, guess I goofed on that one, but your right it will be a selling point. There are after market funnels for ARs and pistols, having one on a shotgun just makes sense.

It's no problem and not a big deal. like you was saying the concept has been used over and over and It wasn't like you exposed a secret or anything like that. The flare will make a big difference in the amount of side to side off ness you can be. I had mentioned the flare to 1911 and Kmoore and they both seemed to think it was the ticket as well. I am very excited about the magwells!

Mike

It's no problem and not a big deal. like you was saying the concept has been used over and over and It wasn't like you exposed a secret or anything like that. The flare will make a big difference in the amount of side to side off ness you can be. I had mentioned the flare to 1911 and Kmoore and they both seemed to think it was the ticket as well. I am very excited about the magwells!

Mike:

Please indulge me if this has been addressed before, but. . .to make the AGPs or factory mags work in your well, does the front mag hook/tab need to be removed, and what else, such as various ridges, needs to be removed?

Thanks

Mike:

Please indulge me if this has been addressed before, but. . .to make the AGPs or factory mags work in your well, does the front mag hook/tab need to be removed, and what else, such as various ridges, needs to be removed?

Thanks

All the mag mods are slightly different. You have to remove the front mag catch on all of them. The AGP need the screw under the front catch removed and it's rib ground down. I took a sodering iron and welded the seam of the bodies together in that area.

I'll provide instrutions on how to mod each type of mag with the magwell.

I've desided that a new 10rd mags need to be made to go with the well. Some people aren't going to want to do their own mods and this should make things easier for them. I also plan to have the new mag in a version like the original mags for those that don't want a magwell.

Why are there no magwells on the website yet? I only see the drum for sale.

The reason I haven't listed the magwell or bolt release on my site yet is because I am swamped with emails as it is right now. I figured I would wait to list them on the site until I am closer to releasing them. I listed them here because most of the users here can answer their own questions on them from my posts. I am sure that a lot of people that visit my site but don't read the threads here would all be full of the same questions and it would make it hard to answer them all individually by email. I am hoping that by the time I do list them on the site that the drums are shipping and that the inquiries on them have cooled a little so I can handle the influx I am sure it will cause.

mike how about using themag well for the 2 round mags? will they work also.. sometime i use the saiga for turkeys along with all the other applications and how much do you think the wells might be bal park?

You can mod both the short and long 2rd mags for the magwell. Also Azkamidaka is correct that I am hoping to sell them for around $50.

Mike,

I hate to ask the already asked question, but do you have an approximate date when the magwells will be available? To the nearest month would be good enough for me.

JT in Indy

Hey Mike, Same question as above and are you accepting pre-orders on the magwells?

• 2 weeks later...
Mike,

I hate to ask the already asked question, but do you have an approximate date when the magwells will be available? To the nearest month would be good enough for me.

JT in Indy

Hey Mike, Same question as above and are you accepting pre-orders on the magwells?

Sorry guys, I must have over looked the questions. I am hoping the magwells are done by spring. They are a much simpler project in comparison to the drum. Also I already have much of the research and preparation done from the drum that I won't have to repeat with the magwells.

As far as preorders... At this time I wasn't going to take any preorders for them. I might start taking preorders after my drum is shipping. Also I doubt I will be charging a deposit on any of my future items. I promise though everyone here will have an advanced notice before I do start taking orders on them.

Hello, Mike

Ditto on S12 pre-orders, and also a nomination for S-.308 model as well!

I'd like to pre-order two of the S-12 wells....

Respectfully,

guido2 in Houston

I do plan to look at all the saigas to see if a good magwell can be made for them.

I have three Saiga-12s', I will buy three mag wells.

I will not buy a drum.

What is your market survey for drums?

You will sell a mag well to every Saiga 12 owner. (Aint' it fun to give my opinion when I have no stake in the outcome, wait a second, I need a magwell for all 3 of my Saigas' to whip my competitors in 3-Gun matches.)

You will sell a drum to 1 of every hundred Saiga 12 owners. (How can I know this? I don't. I do know that I can't use a drum in competition). The Europeans can use a drum in their Action Shotgun matches (Action meaning "run and gun") But can I load two magazines faster than 1 drum? Would I speed load a drum? Would I drop a beta mag? No and No. I am not going to drop a $300+ drum.

Obviously, my opinion is that you "pump out" the mag wells.

Wishing you success in any event.

Go mag wells.

Hello, Mike

Ditto on S12 pre-orders, and also a nomination for S-.308 model as well!

I'd like to pre-order two of the S-12 wells....

Respectfully,

guido2 in Houston

I do plan to look at all the saigas to see if a good magwell can be made for them.

I have three Saiga-12s', I will buy three mag wells.

I will not buy a drum.

------------------------------

But only 1 in 1000 Saiga owners shoot competition :unsure: Some of those drum buyers will buy 2 or more because they know what they may be worth down the road aways,always good to look towards the future$ Plus there just damn fun and cool to have :up:

Edited by Pointer