What's a reasonable stash of ammo?

hell I have only 5 five firearms and almost a thousand rounds split 5 ways, most of that being .22LR. I consider myself grossly understocked, except for my .40 S&W, which i have about 200 rounds for. I agree that too much is never enough

Ever hear the news when some loonie goes off the deep end and shoots some place up, like Virginia Tech? Ever notice that the news enunciates the amound of ammunition he had stored as sort of a direct corrolation to how off his nut he was?

"The police recovered over a THOUSAND rounds from his apartment in Soho" -or wherever..

Edited by dayan inikhaton
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would save up as much as i can afford to get when i can get a good deal and DO NOT to let any1 know you got it (need to know bases and no1 needs to know). you never know if a new law will be passed to stop all/most ammo sales (then prices will go through the roof for what can be got,thats Y if your not in the NRA you need to be in it) or the war gets bigger or goes on for another 5-10yrs (the supply drys up) a large amount of ammo is in the eye of the beholder some1 sitting on 50,000 rnd would think that 5000 rds is a small amount where your buddies only buying 20 rnds would think a 100 rds is WAY to much. i always go with the theory its better to have to much than not enough.

i would save up as much as i can afford to get when i can get a good deal and DO NOT to let any1 know you got it (need to know bases and no1 needs to know). you never know if a new law will be passed to stop all/most ammo sales (then prices will go through the roof for what can be got,thats Y if your not in the NRA you need to be in it - absolutely, member #15239075) or the war gets bigger or goes on for another 5-10yrs (the supply drys up) a large amount of ammo is in the eye of the beholder some1 sitting on 50,000 rnd would think that 5000 rds is a small amount where your buddies only buying 20 rnds would think a 100 rds is WAY to much. i always go with the theory its better to have to much than not enough.

That's exactly what worries me - with most likely either Billary or Rudy in the White House it looks like the disarm-the-sheeple faction will finally get what they want. With the Fed gutting the economy and endless war to keep the machine going (very Orwell 1984-ish -- we've always been at war with Eastasia...), I don't see prices going down or availability going up anytime soon. In light of what's going on I think I'll definetely take the advice of those of you who have suggested a "don't tell" policy with regards to ammo, since the security of the police state requires you to report all 'percieved threats' - or said another way, to spy on your neighbors. My stash "adjusted for inflation" will remain where it is :ph34r:

I can't believe what huge thread my question has sparked :eek: Thank everyone for responding, this has really opened my eyes and I definitely don't feel like the only one anymore. I'm going to continue to stock up as money/space permits. If nothing else maybe I can use it as currency in the new barter system that develops when the dollar finally becomes totally worthless :killer:

THANKS ALL!!

well quite a few people believe that something BIG is coming. Every forum I belong to, ranging from videogames to politics to law enforcement to graphic design, ALL have a growing number of people referring to Orwell, Police State, and some sort of Mad Max near future.

I think the 'ineptitude' of the federal government during the Katrina/Rita disasters have given these people something tangible to relate to. government weapon confiscations, security contractors operating as police, nearby food and housing just out of reach and not for everyone, and Scenes of police barracks under seige by militant criminals *the ones who's addresses weren't registered as having firearms.*

10k of each caliber is a good start

I currently have about 200 rounds of 150gr SP and 400 rounds of 150gr FMJBT tucked away in milsurp ammo cans and I guess I consider this my 'base' supply - when I fire rounds out of this supply I replace it ASAP. I spent many years in the Army so for me a combat load is 270 rounds and a day at the range for my company was about 10,000 rounds. I have a couple of guys that I hunt with that think my 600 round stash is "kinda excessive and a little paranoid." Their way of doing things is just to swing by Wal-Mart on the way out to the range and pick up some rounds.

I was just wondering, am I just a crazy gun nut to have all those rounds? Should I have more? What do you guys typically keep on hand? I don't think I'm that strange for having an ammo stash (ammo costs are going nowhere but up, after all) but I'm the only one I know that normally has this many rounds. So am I weird? (my wife says yes, but she likes me that way)

I currently have about 200 rounds of 150gr SP and 400 rounds of 150gr FMJBT tucked away in milsurp ammo cans and I guess I consider this my 'base' supply - when I fire rounds out of this supply I replace it ASAP. I spent many years in the Army so for me a combat load is 270 rounds and a day at the range for my company was about 10,000 rounds. I have a couple of guys that I hunt with that think my 600 round stash is "kinda excessive and a little paranoid." Their way of doing things is just to swing by Wal-Mart on the way out to the range and pick up some rounds.

I was just wondering, am I just a crazy gun nut to have all those rounds? Should I have more? What do you guys typically keep on hand? I don't think I'm that strange for having an ammo stash (ammo costs are going nowhere but up, after all) but I'm the only one I know that normally has this many rounds. So am I weird? (my wife says yes, but she likes me that way)

MIn 2000 rounds in the event that the system breaks down like in New Orleans you need to hold out about three weeks, not only ammo but food and water

as well. Always be ready to take care of your own you can't depend on the goverment. You have to decide if your gonea be a sheep or wolf.

JWarren is a forum member who bunkered down during Katrina and had to go out armed when he was buying fuel. I think he had several mags for the saiga and maybe several more for a handgun.

I'm glad you brought that up. Actually, Katrina is what taught me MOST of the lessons of how "comfortable" I was.

Since that time, I've changed quite a bit in my life and perspectives.

When Katrina hit, I was woefully unprepared in terms of firearms and ammunition. While I had some hunting rifles, my only Self-Defense firearms was a Century SAR-1 and a Glock 19. I had approximately 160 rounds of 7.62x39 and a 50 round box of 9mm.

AS SOON as able, the first thing I did was go to get more ammuntion. No Luck. It seems that the authorities BANNED the sale of guns or ammunition in any store that was actually open. Take note of this, guys. If you DO need to get something, it won't be available even if the store are open. That was a real eye-opener for me.

Thankfully, I didn't need more ammuntion than I had. We did have to defend our property 3 times from looters who were attempting to steal our fuel and/or generators. But what I had was enough. It could have easily been far less than I needed if the looters had decided to stay and fight it out.

We did indeed have to remain armed whenever we left the property. I found that the Glock was best suited for that role since it was easily concealable if you had to be in public. Typically, one of us stayed with the vehicle if there was something valuable in it. That person kept the SAR-1 handy. Whoever was out kept my Glock.

Since that day, I've made gains and had setbacks. I had added a Vector AK-47 underfolder and a FAL to my collection. Then, in December 2006, our home was broken into while we were at work. I lost in total 6 firearms-- including the FAL and the Century SAR-1. I didn't have a gunsafe because we were living in our "hunting camp" while getting the major part of the restoration of my house completed. I was concerned that a heavy safe would not sit well in that raised camp. And I really didn't relish getting it up the stairs. Dumb move, I know.

Now that we are out of our hunting camp and in our home, I did get a Gun Safe. If you don't have one, I highly recommend it being your next purchase.

The firearms collection is slowly growing back. After the robbery, all I had left was the Vector underfolder and Glock 19. Now, I have a Saiga 308, a RIA 1911A1, Ruger 10/22, Finnish Mosin Nagant M28, the Vector AK-47, and the Glock 19. Soon I'll be adding a Saiga 7.62x39, a Saiga 12, Saiga .223, and a Stoeger NFA Short barrelled shotgun. That should hold me for a while.

In terms of ammunition, I VOWED I'd never be in that situation again. I keep at LEAST 1,000 round per firearm of ammunition-- meaning each firearm has 1,000 rounds to shoot. My goal is to get to at least 5,000 per firearm. (why, oh why, didn't I get more SA .308 when I could?)

On a side note, is Wolf EVER going to be shipping .308 again? Everywhere I look, it is sold out. It may be an excellent time to start reloading-- which I plan on starting eventually.

-- John

I just got five hundred rounds of Wolf .308 from Cabela's that I had ordered back in the spring. I don't know if they've got any on hand, or just filling what orders they had.

As far as my ammo stash, in common military calibres (9mm, 45ACP, 308, x39, 223), I generally keep a minimum of 1k each. For some of my other calibres (10mm, 357, 38, x54R, 22, 12ga, 38 super), I don't keep much on hand at all, unless I've found a really good deal.

I went ahead and bought 5k more of the Golden Tiger ammoman had at $179/k delivered. I know I'll be shooting it up, so I stocked up.

My stores of ammo are probably more than one might need. I simply find a good deal and take advantage of it. I also tend to over-prepare in the hopes that I'll never wish I had done more when/if crunch time comes. While I'm not the paranoid type, the thought of being unarmed, by virtue of running out of ammo in a SHTF situation, is terrifying to me.

There is some heavy collusion between ammo suppliers in this country suddenly. Prices have skyrocketed from bullshit claims of lack of supply raising prices. China is using up copper and brass, sure. They didn't buy every pound of it in the world and cause ammo factories to shut down though. This lack of supply is just price fixing, surplus military .308 from an African country is 60 cents a round? Did the copper supply effect the supply of 30 year old African ammo? Why is it that non-military type .223 costs $55 a round? It must be the 2 grains of copper jacketing that made the price triple.

I bought a CETME and one battle pack of SA when I got it. I fired it one day, a year ago, and haven't fired it since. I have one pack of 20 rounds for the thing and a pack of 20 tracers. You're only supposed to feed it 7.62 NATO and no commercial .308 Winchester. I can't wait until I find ammo for that gun, the ammo that until 6 months ago I considered the 2nd most common rifle round in this hemisphere. I guess we must have fired all of the millions and millions of rounds in supply around the country and China made the price of copper go up exponentially so that the tiny amount needed to make ammunition made the total cost per round triple. It couldn't just be suppliers gouging us, could it? Impossible.

I think that the cost of metals is only part of it. Of course the war going on has an effect, but what we are seeing recently is the result of panic buying. And the ammo suppliers are only doing as any of us would, and charging what the market will bear.

Dr What, you are not alone in your assessment of reality. It may seem like it, but you are very wise to stock up on as much ammo as you can, and do it as quickly as you can. Ammo is not going down in price, and will only be more valuable in the future. Whatever your spending now, think of it as investment capital, because that is what it is.

Don't tell your buddies, friends about your stash either. I know sheeple, and I know that when times get ruff, they will think its your civil duty to supply them whatever they need that you had the foresight to see that they did not if you have it. Why should your fire insurance pay for their house burning down?

If anything, a box of 22LR will purchase much when TSHTF in a barter economy, not to mention common rifle and pistol calibers.

My take on it is at least 5,000 rounds for your MBR. 20,000 various kinds of 22LR, 2.000 for your pistol, per pistol, and if you have a bolt gun for distance, 1,000 rounds minimum. 500 slugs for the shotgun, and about 250 rounds of buck shot should do.

Does that seem wacko? You bet it does. That is because like you and many others, us wackos can see the turbulence on the horizon and act accordingly instead of existing in denial like the rest of the disinformed masses. The sheeple simply cannot deal with it, and anything out of their perception of reality is conspiracy theory right wing wack job psychobable. Once you start acting like a cow in the herd, you start thinking like one. And when the Gov steps in, they will treat you like one, too. Hotel Katrina anyone?

Just keep your stash quite, and take the grey man approach. Don't deny yourself and your immediate family food, water, basic medical supplies, and alternate heat for an extended period when the lights go out. Stock up on that as well.

Your not Wacko, the sheeple are.

Here is one of my favorite quotes. I can speak from experience that it is so true.

"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in their struggle for independence." -- C. A. Beard

Heres another I like:

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. This gives exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball are too violent for the body and stamp no moral character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walk."

-Thomas Jefferson

My personal philosophy is that the 'average' person (sheeple as MacMan puts them) aren't very bright. You just have to look at what people are doing in the news or at work or at school.

If doing like everyone else - the best you can ask for is what the average is... what you see in the news, work, school, etc... not a very bright future/successful life.

I think one can do MUCH BETTER than the average if you only do the OPPOSITE of what the majority does...

For example, average american likes credit cards/debt. pay cash. average person does interest only mortgages, do the opposite and finance fixed. The average person frowns when they find you have a gun - do the opposite and buy AKs. Likewise, even the "average person with a gun" will buy 1-2 boxes on the way to the range when they feel like shooting. I say stock up a lot with as much as you an afford.

i'm new at this...so i don't nearly have the stash you guy do. since i'm a strugging student with a family, i can only afford to buy 1-2 boxes for every box i shoot at the range. Luckily i shoot every week or every other week.

hopefully the stuff hitting the fan doesn't hit the fan yet until i can secure a bigger stash...

1 BIG safe for the guns and 1 BIGGER safe for the ammo, I shoot all I want, and store all the rest. which is only 1 bullet per gun. "Honest officer, I ONLY have 1 bullet per gun in THAT safe". :):):):) Buy a GPS, learn to use it and pray that the "stuff" will never be needed. If it's not needed, do as I'm going to do, leave my kids the coridinates in my will, so they can search for "daddies money that he's buried, because he didn't give it to us when he was alive". Enough is NEVER enough, don't mean to offend any of the ladies here, but ammo is like nookie, you can NEVER get enough, but one day, it may be worth more $$$$$$. :):)

Termite

I usually have about 1000-1500 rds on hand at any point in time, Right now I just finished reloading a few hundred rounds of 38 so it's probably more like 2000 now.

• 2 weeks later...

I think whatever you feel comfortable with. Right now I have 300 rounds per handgun and 600 rounds for my Saiga. I will probably stockpile about 1200 for my Saiga which is a 7.62x39. I plan on purchasing a 308 Saiga soon and will keep on hand about 600 to 800 rounds for that one.

i have a few pistols for sometime now but just recently started getting into rifles. in the last month or so ive picked up a saiga 308, mini 30, ar-15(RRA), and a rugar 10-22. i didnt expect to get bit by the rifle bug so bad cuz i only bought a 12 rifle safe. so after joining some forums and reading on every site about what if SHTF. so this made me stock up on some ammo and my safe quickly filled up. so it got me think about safe storage, easy access to additional ammo and something cheaper then another expensive safe. so i came up with buying a Job Site Box you know the kind to lock up tools and stuff. by like rigid or greenlee. around $200, can be locked and bolted to the ground and can take a beating if the house falls down on it. so how do some of you guys store ammo? i just dont like the idea of leaving ammo in a wood crate on the floor in some room

I have one neighbor that I occasionally apprise of some of the changes to my stash. Today, she told me she hopes that, if my house is on fire, that I run in and carry the ammo out. I informed her that the non-AP rounds were no threat.

Damn it though....there's not much I can do about the AP stuff and there's no way any one person could carry all the ammo out. :ded:

Maybe I'll hafta just carry out the AP stuff. That might be doable... :angel:

i would say i have about 250 rd of 30.06 and 7.62x54r, 1000 rds x39, 223, 9mm, and 250 of 38 and 357. Plus 400 12 ga and 300 20 ga.

oh and about 30 assorted bricks of 22 lr to feed my 7 22s for the next many lean years of fatherhood....