Bolt Hold Open Release, Manual or Automatic!

EDIT on 08-17-2010 to add: Bringing this one back to life, view post #16 below!!!

original post and timeline follows

I've done it again! I've designed something that will release the bolt from the locked position. Whether your BHO open is Jeric's automatic or a factory manual this will work either way. No more grabbing the bolt carrier to release it. This with the magwell is going to be a great combo! That's all I want to say for now and don't want to go into the design or specific function yet. It is simple, reliable and will be low cost. Coming to a Saiga-12 near you!!!!! :super:

Is this new lastest and greatest only for right hand shooters to keep their hands on the grip?

when you two get all your goodies together it would nice if there was a package deal for the ultimate saiga 12 upgrade.

Jeric LRHO

Jeric mag release lever upgrade.

mag well

this newest bolt release mystery.

Any thought of making a mag well for the x39 rifle or do you know who makes one already for a price as reasonable as you are projecting for your s12 product?

Is this new lastest and greatest only for right hand shooters to keep their hands on the grip?

when you two get all your goodies together it would nice if there was a package deal for the ultimate saiga 12 upgrade.

Jeric LRHO

Jeric mag release lever upgrade.

mag well

this newest bolt release mystery.

Any thought of making a mag well for the x39 rifle or do you know who makes one already for a price as reasonable as you are projecting for your s12 product?

The release will be the users choice with 2 different choices of position for each side. Left handers will have the same conveniences as right handers.

I haven't reall ylooked into magwells for rifles yet.

• 1 month later...
Where can I buy the last round BHO? I have the factory manual one now.

Jeric on the forum makes and sells them. His girlfriend is have a baby this week so he might not be able to get back to you for a week or so though.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't really looked into magwells for rifles yet.

I'd really like one for 7.62x39. That would be sweeeeeet.

I going to be looking into magwells for all once I clean my plate a little. Not promising success or anything but will give it a damn good shot.

for the .223 mag adapter just copy the Galil one... except, make the top flat, make the adaptor a bit longer, and spin the release 90* so it is straight up and down instead of horizontal.

here's a cheesy photochop of what I'm getting at.. of course it looks a bit fugly.. but I'm sure others can do better.

post-4346-1194466808_thumb.jpg

Edited by MD_Willington
for the .223 mag adapter just copy the Galil one... except, make the top flat, make the adaptor a bit longer, and spin the release 90* so it is straight up and down instead of horizontal.

here's a cheesy photochop of what I'm getting at.. of course it looks a bit fugly.. but I'm sure others can do better.

How easy do those go on? Do you have to do any mods other than just hooking to receiver mods? I don't think you could go wrong with it using AR mags that's for sure. It seems you kind of have it thought out already. Why don't you look into it as a project for yourself? It will be awhile before I'll be able to even start pursuing it because I have so many other things I want to complete first. Did you know that I tried to suggest and pushed making a saiga-12 drum to a few other companies? I even offered to help with the design for nothing in return for myself other than the opportunity of buying some!

As they are made right now, the UA adapters, you have to use some dremel-fu to fit them in a Saiga. That's why I was thinking that an adapter that was made for a flat receiver would make more sense... no dremeling the receiver..

dyi has a thread where he does that, here's the link:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...12&hl=daddy

Note he also has to machine the inside of the receiver to get it to fit.

Now if someone came up with one of those that had a built in feed ramp, then that would be the cats @ss !

MD_Willington, that last photo is just a mag holder/vertical grip for AR's correct, not an actual magwell?

And Mike, if you have friends over at ORF, talk with them about the UA magwell, they've been putting quite a few of them on the market for Galil's and retrofitted (changed the spec) on one of their early sets of prints for the Galil receivers that they sell to accomodate the magwell option on their latest Gen receiver.

• 2 years later...

Bringing this one back to life!!! Never thought a bolt release would be worth producing without a LRBHO on the market. Well!!!! It looks like we are getting ready to have one! Tom Cole from Cadiz Gun Works has a absolutely great sounding design for one. It will work on all sticks and drums WITHOUT modifing your mags! I talked to him and it sounds like it would be a sintch to make my bolt release design work with it.

My bolt release can be worked from either side, right or left. It can be set up to use your finger or your thumb to release the bolt. However you like. You can make it operate true ambidextrous, same on both sides. Or you can make it right or left hand specific. Meaning you can make your trigger finger operate it from one side and your thumb from the other. The release is a simple ingenious design if you don't mind me saying so, lol. And super easy to install.

Anyways, I am offering the design to Tom to go with his LRBHO. I wanted to make sure it worked with his design so what better way. I'm sending him some pics of it tomorrow with details. Should be fine together. Cant wait to see the duo on the market. Been a long damn time coming!!! Just look at the date of the first post in this thread, almost 3 years ago!

Don't everyone start blowing Tom up over LRBHOs and bolt releases. He will post the info he wants to on his LRBHO. I know A LOT of you have been dying for a set up like you saw in my one video on youtube and you are very close to getting an even better set up because Tom's LRBHO will also work with drums (and the coming double stacks)!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike my Saiga needs a massive upgrade I also need to buy a drum, I talked to Tom's boss Vicky today and discussed what I need. It's getting late. Have you given any more thougth to the mag well or some such divice if you know what I mean.

Mike my Saiga needs a massive upgrade I also need to buy a drum, I talked to Tom's boss Vicky today and discussed what I need. It's getting late. Have you given any more thougth to the mag well or some such divice if you know what I mean.

Man, I am ready to pounce on this! Keeping my fingers crossed that Tom will have an announcement soon!!!

LB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...