My First S-12 Conversion - SBS pics - How did I do?

I tried to quote the replies, but that button does nothing for me.

anyway, re: the charging handle. I dont think that's a project that I would attempt. My welding skills arent that good. No big deal if a sight pops off, but I think I might need the charging handle.

and re: does it run....well, that depends on the ammo. It doesnt cycle #7.5 shot, but it does cycle #4 shot and of course 00 buck. I need to pick up a variety of birdshot between 7.5 and 4, and see what will run. I would have been happy if it only cycled buck, anything else is a bonus IMO.

I tried to quote the replies, but that button does nothing for me.
This forum is different, in that you need to hit "Two" buttons. First click the "Quote" button in the post you want to quote, then go down to the bottom of the thread and click "Add Reply" (not Fast Reply).

No, I made the top piece for the handguard. It's mild steel with tig welded tabs on the sides and one in the front. The front is contoured to the shape of the gas tube, the 4 front tabs are drilled and tapped. I drilled a little into the Tapco handguard so I could countersink the screws.

I first made it with 7 holes, but it looked too much like an Erector Set piece, so I made a slit through the center of all the holes and welded some bar stock in between them. That left me with 14 goofy looking half moons. So I cut out the bar and welded up three of the holes. After having two versions that looked like crap, I'm pretty happy with this one.

Edited by anjan9