Trying to remove the sight so I can fit a quad rail

I just took of the front and rear sights on my Saiga 12 in order to install an Ultimak rail system.

Front sight has two flats on it and unscrews. I used a small set of pliers with a flat nose.

Rear sight is to be driven out to the right. (Muzzle end pointing away from you.) I'm pretty sure that the dovetail on the rear sight has a slight taper to it. At first I tried a brass punch like the instruction said, but the brass absorbed too much of th impact. (Too soft) I then put Electrical tape on the trunnion to keep it from getting scuffed up and used a 1/3" diameter steel punch. Started off with a 5lb mini sledge and then switched to a 3lb deadblow and the brass punch when the sight started moving.

If it's a rear V- notch type, and a hammer and punch don't get it, then I go straight to the angle grinder and make a relief cut all the way across it and collapse the site with a pair of vise grips. Some of those pistol like rear sites are basically ceased in the dove tail.

Edited by cscharlie

Hello

You can also just dremel off about 1/16" from each side of the sight, it will then fit into the groove cut in the top inside of the Halo. To me, the advantage there is that you still have sights if for some reason you remove the Halo.

For the Ultimak, obviously you must slide it out. I, too, had to perform "dremellition" on mine to get it to budge.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Old carpenter's saying...if it don't work...your hammer ain't big enough! :haha:

I've knocked out a bunch of them (from right to left) and never had a problem. Penetrating oil is your friend, so is heat if necessary...

There are also some more key things to consider when fitting a Halo quad rail.