Interested in Saiga

So as you can read in the title, Im extremely interested in the Saiga. Ive been searching the forums for some information and it is helpful.

I do have a few questions tho.

The main reason I want the Saiga is for the all around use. I can take it out and have fun shooting. It seems to be able to sub as a hunting rifle. And it seems easily converted.

So here are my questions.

If I want a gun to take down deer and possibly hogs. Should I got with the 7.62 or .308. What ranges?

If I want to make it a better hunting gun, Ill need a new trigger and scope?

The RSA triggers seem to be the one, and can someone recomended a better than average scope? PSOV?

Also are these easy to install without to much machining.

Basically, tell me which is better in what regards and why.

Thanks in advance.

-frig

1. 308

2. Yes

3. Posp 8X42 at eastwave.ca - $164 shipped.

4. Yes. You can buy a Tapco G2 trigger for $33, it's excellent with a little grinding and polishing.

The rest of the information you seek is subjective and you should do a search. In fact, there's a very recent post dealing with the hunting rifle application. Just scroll through the threads.

308 is probably the better hunting round. It has much more energy. Just take a look at the 7.62x39 as compared to a 308 round and see the difference, more case capacity = more energy.

The 308 also has a better stock trigger than the other models that use the transfer bar. If you convert the trigger keep in mind that you will also need to relocate the trigger guard and add a pistol grip. Some of these things can run into a little money unless you find some deals.

Good luck

i got a saiga cause it came in a 308, there arnt many 308 AKs out there. the 7.62 is very common. the 308 ammo is a bit more expensive to but the 308 is my prefered round. if you want cheap ammo just get a 10/22 for practice. when i go hunting i would take my saiga .i would leave my AK at home. if i was to get an 7.62 AK i would look into getting an MAK or NHM (AK) around my area used ones in pawn shops go for around $400 - $450 no trigger job needed .only thing u might want is to change the stock/ handguards if you want to change the look