7.62 vs .308

Ive been searching the forums for some information and it is helpful.

I do have a few questions tho.

The main reason I want the Saiga is for the all around use. I can take it out and have fun shooting. It seems to be able to sub as a hunting rifle. And it seems easily converted.

So here are my questions.

If I want a gun to take down deer and possibly hogs. Should I got with the 7.62 or .308. What ranges?

How hard is the recoil with each?

If I want to make it a better hunting gun, Ill need a new trigger and scope?

The RSA triggers seem to be the one, and can someone recomended a better than average scope? PSOV?

Also are these easy to install without to much machining.

Basically, tell me which is better in what regards and why.

Thanks in advance.

-frig

I cannot speak specifically to the Saiga .308 because I don't own one. I can tell you that the .308 cartridge is a much better hunting cartridge for deer and up. I wouldn't have a problem using a .223 for up to coyote sized game, beyond that I would go to a .243 because I live in Texas and our deer aren't that big. A .308 would allow you to hunt Elk, Mule Deer or about anything on the North American Continent. It does kick considerably more but it doesn't take but one well placed shot. Your call. When you talk about hogs, javalena can be taken with either and Russian Boar I would definately want a .308 or slug gun.

Ive been searching the forums for some information and it is helpful.

I do have a few questions tho.

The main reason I want the Saiga is for the all around use. I can take it out and have fun shooting. It seems to be able to sub as a hunting rifle. And it seems easily converted.

If I want a gun to take down deer and possibly hogs. Should I got with the 7.62 or .308. What ranges?

If I want to make it a better hunting gun, Ill need a new trigger and scope?

The RSA triggers seem to be the one, and can someone recomended a better than average scope? PSOV?

Also are these easy to install without to much machining.

Thanks in advance.

-frig

Edited by 1911

Thanks in advance.

-frig

Welcome!...first you said you wanted the Saiga for 'All Around Use' - To me That says 7.62 right off the bat. I like the 16" for that role. Accuracy is not really an Issue (16") to 100 + yds. (scope or not) is fine IMO. In that range you'll be able to take down Ferrel Hogs and Deer. The 7.62 doesn't have that much recoil...a bit, but you can shoot all day and not even feel it the next day...now .308 I suspect (I don't have mine yet!) would be another story.

The .308 is obviously going to drop bigger game more easily. but for Texas Deer and Hogs..I suspect the 7.62 will do just fine...(haven't hunted yet...just got mine in july) (all though...we can hunt Hogs here 365 days w/o even a license!) (and w/ 30 rd mags! - not that I want to).

The .308 w/ scope will definately reach out further w/ killing power, even out to 600 yds. (you'd need a great scope to use the capability) I'd opt for the 20" barrel model for that.

Killing power on the 7.62x39 is really only good to about 300 yds. at best.

The decision: 1) Price for the gun (.308 obviously more)

2) Ammo cost (.308 alot more)

For 1st All-Around Rifle, I Personally would choose the 7.62 - over the .308 or the .223 Period.

2nd Rifle is the Decision - .308 or .223, depending on you needs.

Either Way, You will not go wrong with a Saiga - cost + performance and convertability....go for it!

The 7.62x39 is a great shooting gun that has minium recoil. I plan to use the Wolf 154 gr. soft point ammo/bullets and hunt hogs and deer in Texas. The . 308 will work with larger game, bear/elk/etc, but you will have the trade off of more recoil.

I own the7.62 rifle and really like it. It has adequate power and hits with authority, ammo is as cheap or cheaper than most caliber, mags are reasonable priced and easy to find. Just a good caliber to own.

Edited by jbremount

I have both a Saiga .308 and 7.62X39. I like both kinds, but I would have to give a slight edge to the 7.62X39. Here are some of the pros and cons to each:

Pros:

considerably more powerful

probably a bit more accurate

better selection of ammunition available for hunting

Cons:

more recoil (still not bad though)

more expensive ammunition

slightly harder to field strip (due to larger bolt)

in most cases, an optics mount will need to be removed for field stripping

less ammo capacity

harder to get high capacity magazines

strange trigger pull (many people hate it) unless you convert the gun

no 5 round magazines available (only a factor for hunting in certain states)

7.62X39

Pros:

less expensive

less recoil (recoil is basically negligible with these as far as I am concerned)

less expensive ammunition

easier to field strip

no need to remove optics mount attached to the side rail to field strip (at least I don't need to, and I have a low mount)

larger magazine capacity

easier to get high capacity magazines

better factory trigger (if you are not going to convert)

easier to find with a skeletonized stock from the factory (which I like)

definitely fine for deer out to 200 yards (with a scope)

5 round magazines are readily available (a major factor for hunting in some states)

Cons:

perhaps a little less accurate (still more than good enough out to at least 150 yards)

a bit underpowered for use on a large boar (nothing that proper shot placement can't overcome)

Overall, I would advise that you get the 7.62X39 as an initial all-around gun. It will be more fun and less expensive to shoot, and it is good for hunting as long as you keep its limitations it mind. Where I hunt, most shots are within 150 yards, so the range limitations associated with the 7.62X39 are not a factor for me. Anyway, if you are going to be shooting much farther than 200 yards at an animal a Saiga probably is not the best choice in any chambering.

As far as barrel length goes, a longer barrel will result in a slightly higher muzzle velocity and more energy delivered to the target. It might be worth it to get all the power that you can out of the cartridge for hunting purposes. On the other hand, a longer barrel means more weight and less ease of handling. If you prefer the look of the longer barrel and want to hunt with the gun, I would go with the longer barrel. If you haven't already done so, check out the 7.62X39 long barrel special on the Russian American Armory website.

As for making a Saiga 7.62X39 better for hunting:

Put a decent scope on it using an optics mount attaching to the side rail. Either get a quick release mount or a high mount if you want to be able to use the iron sights as well. I have a UTG mount (available at Gilbert's guns and Midway USA in both quick release and "fixed" versions). One great thing about this mount is that it allows you to easily mount a tactical light system as well (great for hunting hogs at night, which is legal in Texas). Also, this mount has a rail configuration that allows you to mount pretty much any kind of optical sight you want to on the gun.

If you are not going to convert the gun, don't worry about putting a new trigger group in. I simply applied molybdenum disulfide (moly) dry lube from Sentry Solutions to the bearing surfaces in the trigger group and the factory trigger is just fine for me now.

Edited by hogdog

well, I listened to all your advice. and thanks for it.

i was so so gonna buy the 7.62x39 and do everything you recommened.

...........but that was until i saw this: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=19572

I couldnt resist and sent out for the .308.

Im trying to convince my brother to buy a 7.62 x39 because he wants a gun as more as a novelty.

I wanted the .308 to turn some heads and thats what that gun is gonna do. Now all ill need is a scope and im game.

Im in texas so the mag limit doesnt matter. ive found some cheap 100 rd a box surplus ammo for 35 bucks.

Im fucking stoked! Im glad to be apart of the Saiga community. (When I recieve my gun)

thanks again

-frig

well, I listened to all your advice. and thanks for it.

i was so so gonna buy the 7.62x39 and do everything you recommened.

...........but that was until i saw this: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=19572

I couldnt resist and sent out for the .308.

Im trying to convince my brother to buy a 7.62 x39 because he wants a gun as more as a novelty.

I wanted the .308 to turn some heads and thats what that gun is gonna do. Now all ill need is a scope and im game.

Im in texas so the mag limit doesnt matter. ive found some cheap 100 rd a box surplus ammo for 35 bucks.

Im fucking stoked! Im glad to be apart of the Saiga community. (When I recieve my gun)

thanks again

-frig

Frig, welcome to the forum. So you decided on the .308 ...Good choice, I like the 7.62 or .308. Not sure why I would need a .223. I Love my 7.62

- great all-around rifle in 16"! For my sniper rifle out to several hundred yds. I'm going with the 22" .308 w/ Dragonov Stock - then adding good scope and bi-pod. Prob. just leaving her stock w/ the 8 rd. mags.

BS012

Frig, welcome to the forum. So you decided on the .308 ...Good choice, I like the 7.62 or .308. Not sure why I would need a .223. I Love my 7.62

- great all-around rifle in 16"! For my sniper rifle out to several hundred yds. I'm going with the 22" .308 w/ Dragonov Stock - then adding good scope and bi-pod. Prob. just leaving her stock w/ the 8 rd. mags.

BS012

Yes Im stoked about it. I like the sniper rifle look and thats what I plan on using it as. I wanna reach out and touch something at 300+ yards. I think once I figure out a little more about saigas and how they work ill get a X39. I was thinking about making it look like the SOCOMII. I really like the look of it, and I think turning a saiga 7.62 into one is a pretty easy conversion since you dont need a pistol grip.

-frig