Pro-Mag 30 rounders....Opinions? Reviews?

I've actually got a couple Orlites myself, but I've held off on doing the bullet guide mod even though I've got the kit. Procrastination is a wonderful thing. I come to find out that Bulgarian waffle mags will work without installing a bullet guide, so I've planned to buy some of them to see. For me, less work = more fun. Any experience with the Bulgarian mags? Pros, cons?

Who say the Bulgarians not need a feed ramp, I have few and still need a ramp

and yes galils orlites my favor flavor on my .223 but the orlites and the Bulgarians are

pretty good mags both have metal inserts on the lugs, promags are all plastic even the lugs

dont use stuff with plastic lugs, they may dont be there when you need the mag the must.

But is always the guy that say that the promag here and there is the best

and here and there, bla bla , bla.

I use stuff that is going to be there when I need it, but is your choice or what you get.

My 2 cents worth of nothing.

By the way I may use AR15 mags on my .223 but not sure yet, still have a shit load of

orlites I got cheap.

In few the promag is like a cheap version of the Bulgarian mag.

Edited by vjor

Bro is not that is cheap, the Orlites and Bulgarians are cheaper, just that

I have seen the plastic lug on the mag brake on two mags

just by hitting a bench, not even hard or been drop, making the

mag useless real quick.

Dont take it wrong, I dont try to look down on you or the stuff you use

just trying to help not to get something that may give you problems latter

on.

Edited by vjor

FWIW, since several people reported sucess w/o a feed ramp, I ordered several different types of magazines over the last two weeks. Pro-mag .223, Bulgarian 45rnd and The Galil orilites.

The Bulgarian fit after a little filing, no-go on feeding w/o a ramp. It's still a little tight; I need to do a little more shaping before it's good to go.

The Pro-Mag fit out of the box, no filing. It's got some side to side play, but I doubt it will be a problem (as long as I don't use it for a handle). Also a no-go for feeding w/o a ramp.

The Galils should be here today, I expect they'll fit fine after shaving down that front rib.

End result: I've got a Dinzag ramp on order, and I'll have several spare mags that will work (in a pinch) sitting at the back of the safe.

Yeah, man, that's good to know. I'm glad you picked up a couple different mags to check them out. I ordered Dinzag's bullet guide and 2 Orlites awhile ago, but they're still just sittin' around waiting to be installed. I kind of wanted to go with a less instrusive way of hi-cap in the .223, but it looks like the Orlites are definitely gonna need a feed ramp also. It looks like Dinzag's feed ramp is the way to go. Now if I could just motivate myself to install it...

Yeah, man, that's good to know. I'm glad you picked up a couple different mags to check them out. I ordered Dinzag's bullet guide and 2 Orlites awhile ago, but they're still just sittin' around waiting to be installed. I kind of wanted to go with a less instrusive way of hi-cap in the .223, but it looks like the Orlites are definitely gonna need a feed ramp also. It looks like Dinzag's feed ramp is the way to go. Now if I could just motivate myself to install it...

I ordered the feed ramp just so I could buy a milling vice for my drill press :smoke:

Even though is seems intrusive, there's no reason you couldn't remove the feed ramp and return to using stock magazines (at least not one that I can see...).

Edited by Cavediver

I ordered the feed ramp just so I could buy a milling vice for my drill press :smoke:

Even though is seems intrusive, there's no reason you couldn't remove the feed ramp and return to using stock magazines (at least not one that I can see...).

It only takes about 10 mins. to install Danzigs feed ramp using a hand drill. Dont forget to lock-tite it in after you test for function. And I also used a dremel to make my factory mags work with the ramp(about 5 mins. a piece).

Edited by sks_sniper_clone
It only takes about 10 mins. to install Danzigs feed ramp using a hand drill. Dont forget to lock-tite it in after you test for function. And I also used a dremel to make my factory mags work with the ramp(about 5 mins. a piece).

Hand drill???

Hand drill!!!!

Blasphemy! :lolol:

I figured I could get away with a hand drill for most of this conversion. However, I've got a small drill press (and a new vice :angel: ) that need to justify their existance...

I'm hoping to do the PG and stock conversion this weekend. With any luck, the guide will be here sometime next week, and I'll be shooting the week after.

So I took a chance and bought a $30 Promag 30 rd. Magazine for my .223 and it cycled freely. It seems nice, just a bit too loose in the side-to-side play.

What are your experiences?

ProMag's are what they are. Which is to say a cheap (NOT inexpensive) copy of OEM magazines.

When people want to buy magazines, they seem to be price point sensitive, rather then wanting a quality product.

Since it is hard for most companies to say they are better than OEM, they go cheap.

Cheap springs, cheap followers, cheap magazine bodies, cheap, cheap, cheap.

Nothing wrong with cheap, if it works.

This is where the ProMag's, Triple-K's, National Magazine's fail, in performance.

Buy the Bulgy's or Israeli Orlites. If you like steel mag's, buy the E-German or Yugo 5.56 mags. Hell, buy AK-74 mags and mod them to use 5.56 before using ProMag's.

Hand drill???

Hand drill!!!!

Blasphemy! :lolol:

I figured I could get away with a hand drill for most of this conversion. However, I've got a small drill press (and a new vice :angel: ) that need to justify their existance...

I'm hoping to do the PG and stock conversion this weekend. With any luck, the guide will be here sometime next week, and I'll be shooting the week after.

Yeah, hand drill. I have a drill press and vise but they are out in my shop and it was late. I was in my liveing room with the guide in one hand and the gun in the other. And it was only one hole.

I have a ProMag (.223) and while it functions, there are some gripes I have with quality and fit.

They (as already mentioned) rock from side to side. And not just a little, but a pretty generous sway.

I have addressed that issue by attaching (with glue) one metal plate on each side of the magazine. The fit is much tighter and the side movement has been minimized although still some exists, but maybe my expectations are too high. I tried to make it look somewhat stock by trimming the plates that I attached to fit right to the edges of the magazine and rounded them off a little bit. i also painted them semi-gloss black to achieve close match to the finish of the magazine.

Since, I have ordered a Bulgarian magazine in hopes that is a much better fit without any modifications to it.

So after all that babble I just went through, I am trying to say that, Yes, you can use the ProMag, but there will always be the thought in the back of your mind that you should have gone with a better quality mag.

Well a Pro-mag is what ~ $16 + shipping online...

Now gunthings.com has E-German ak-74 magazines for $12.50 + shipping... add a robarm follower for $5.99+shipping and it is still a better deal than a promag... YMMV...

& at least you can kludge up the front of an ak-74 mag to make a feed ramp on the mag since the front has a metal insert, if you don't have the feed ramp installed...

Well, little do you know just a couple of hours after I wrote the above post I received my Bulgarian mag.

When I first tried to insert it into the rifle, as you can probably guess it wouldn't fit.

Then I remember reading something about having to modify the magazine in order to fit.

After a little bit of trying to figure out why is it not fitting I started filing away.

I guess I could have gone the easy route and tried to find some instructions on this site before going crazy with the dremmel and the file, but I guess stubbornness prevailed.

After about 1/2 hour of careful filing and test fitting, I finally heard that sweet "click".

The mag was in and ROCK SOLID.

Absolutely no rocking in neither direction.

I don't think there is a more bluntly obvious difference between good and bad fit as there is in a ProMag (bad) and BG mag (good).

Yes, there is some modification needed in order to the BG mag to fit, but it is well worth the minimal labor in comparison of just getting the cheap (in every sense of the word) ProMag.

Another thing worth mentioning as far as difference between both mags is that the BG one is lined up with metal underneath the polymer unlike the Promag, which is only plastic.

Now gunthings.com has E-German ak-74 magazines for $12.50 + shipping... add a robarm follower for $5.99+shipping and it is still a better deal than a promag... YMMV...

is there a web page to order from? and are the follower's US made.

muttman2

Well a Pro-mag is what ~ $16 + shipping online...

& at least you can kludge up the front of an ak-74 mag to make a feed ramp on the mag since the front has a metal insert, if you don't have the feed ramp installed...

The problem with Robinson, is that they KILL YA' on the shipping.

So, getting several and/or going in with somebody is the best course.

Or, just using a Dremel (inside the top of the mag body) to raise the follower to were it stops just short of a 1/4" higher. And, bend the front of a metal follower straight, or, melt a plastic one a little to do the same...

And you will have a .223 mag (that is reliable and feeds a full loading).

26095mags_AK74_modified_-1.JPG

Edited by lollygagger

It seems this whole "hi-cap for the .223 Saiga" is a personal preference thing. I just installed the feed ramp from Dinzag and have flawless feeding from 2 Orlite Galil mags. It was seriously one of the easier gunsmithing things I've done. It literally only took 15 minutes and I used (dare I say it) a hand drill! I just went slow, and it still didn't take long. And the mags? You barely have to take any plastic off them for them to fit nice and snug. Just like an 1/8 of an inch off either side at the front and it was like they were made for each other.

I personally like the bullet guide better than any other solution, because it seems to be more permanent than the other "fixes." And now that I've got the guide installed, I can buy any number of Orlite mags, or .223 AK mags for that matter, take literally just 2 minutes to shave 'em to fit and I'm golden. No fuss, no muss.

That's peace of mind right there. Thank Dinzag! :up:

Edited by Maniac Jack

I agree.

While there may be some reason to work out a "guide" IN a mag to make feed...

The placement of a bullet guide in the action is clearly the better choice for most.

Beyond that, specific mag choices is a pretty personal thing. Me, I like vareity (and tinkering on the mags when needed).

Dinzag can take the current ak-74 followers and modify them for you I believe, he and several others posted a "how to" to make your own followers from existing ones.

here is the phone number for robarm I have 801-355-0401

I really wish that some one will get a couple of those things and copy them in metal or plastic, since no one else seems to carry them...

or go the guide route, it is easy enough.

I've played around with some different .223 / 5.56 mags in my Saiga and eventually decided on the Bulgarians as my mag of choice. First ones I tried were the LEO 35 rd steel Galils but that turned into a waste of time. Sloppy side to side play and they don't feed at the right angle without serious mods. Never tried the Weigers but I heard they were a little sloppy side to side also. Heard about how easy the Galil orlites were to make work but never got any because after I tried the Bulgies there was no need to look further. Very easy to mod (requires only slight fitting of the body) and they fit ROCK SOLID with absolutely no slop and feed 100% in my gun. Orlites are cheaper but I don't mind paying for good quality. Dinzag is the man with the bullet guides. I used one from Kvar and had to modify it to work in the Saiga. Dinzag's guide fits right in on both style trunnions (flat or round depending on which one you have) and comes with all you need to install in a few minutes with ...yes....a hand drill. It would take more time to set up a cross slide in the drill press than it took me to do mine on the pool table by hand. I can appreciate the feeling of getting use out of good tools though...

Promag...naaa no thanks. Got a couple of the clear ones for my x39 just for kicks but I prefer proven military mags.

Also if anyone is interested I have a few of the Bulgie clear (smoke) mags left for sale that are already modded to work in the Saiga. PM me if interested.

Man you guys are going to a lot of trouble to file and fit a 30 rd mag! Go to www.jocoemprise.com

You will find a .223 30 rd mag that fits and functions perfect with no modifications what-so-ever

But...they cost $50.00

Worth it to me for 100% reliability and no fitting to function!

My $.02

Mick

Man you guys are going to a lot of trouble to file and fit a 30 rd mag! Go to www.jocoemprise.com

You will find a .223 30 rd mag that fits and functions perfect with no modifications what-so-ever

But...they cost $50.00

Worth it to me for 100% reliability and no fitting to function!

My $.02

Mick

To me it's no trouble at all to spend five minutes modifying a perfectly good military mag to work even better. For $50 you can almost buy two Bulgie mags and spend ten minutes making them fit better than any mag you can put in a Saiga .223. The Galil's are even cheaper. :smoke:

So I took a chance and bought a $30 Promag 30 rd. Magazine for my .223 and it cycled freely. It seems nice, just a bit too loose in the side-to-side play.

What are your experiences?

I got a promag 223 for my Saiga made in 2006 & it would not work at all. It fit & locked in but would not cycle. I'll stick with the factory 30 rounders. They are not cheap but they damn sure work. And the factorys fit great in my gun.