12 Gauge Rio Armored Slug

Those look nice, the descriptions on those pages are pretty vague, but from the looks of it they're upgraded Brenneke style slugs with a giant copper "jacket". Might make a good bear load. Too bad they only ship UPS or I might be tempted to order some.

looks a bit like a discarding sabot encasing a .50 caliber bullet. be nice for taking out those trouble engine blocks at close range I bet.

Nah, it is not a sabot. Just a breneke style slug possibly with a coated or hardened tip of some kind. May be more designed to catch the human eye then do any real damage. As said before, they are plenty vague and offer no real details on the slug.

we need a "Mythbusters" but just for firearms. see if .177 MACH2 hollowpoints really work and such lol

This week on Gunbusters, the new pintle-mounted Ruger 10/22 MG-42 mod, big news or a load of dummys?

Trigger cranks. We asked what the ATF thought about them, but everyone we talked to had a different story. This Week, is ANYONE in charge over there?

Gyro Jet guns? are they coming back?

I just ordered $500 worth of ammo from that site this past week too. I would have gotten a box of these, and told you guys how well they pass through a single layer of paper at 50 yards. Important information.

I can tell you that .22 magnum shotshells out of a 1" barreled derringer spread to a mans entire chest/head/neck at 15 feet though. Gotta love weird shit.

Here are pics of me destroying one shell to see what its made of. Haven't fired any, just took one apart.

Pic 1; the box,

Pic 2, hull cut and bent away to show slug and tailpiece in situ.

Pic 3, slug/tail removed as a unit, powder dumped out. it looks like flake powder, and most are in squarish shape but some are really odd shaped. unknown significance.

Pic 4, tried to get close-up of the odd shaped flakes

Pic 5, slug. lead painted with easily-flaked-off gold paint, hard tip and well-affixed plastic tail. upon pulling and twisting, it became apparent that the plastic was affixed directly to the hard tip somehow.

pic 6, different angle

pic 7, from bottom, hope you can see a little metal pinhead sticking out. turns out that is the base of the hard tip

pic 8, lead flayed open, even though the lead was not adherent to the plastic, i had to destroy the lead to get the core insert out, so it wont fall apart if that's what you're worried about

pic 9, tip/steel insert like a screw with a mushroom head, screwed into the plastic base. it is not-pure steel as it is only mildly magnetic. but it is much harder than lead.

pic 10, full length shot of the insert

pic 11, insert stuck lightly to a kitchen refrigerator magnet

Hope this was interesting!

C-

post-208-1192072689_thumb.jpg

post-208-1192072700_thumb.jpg

post-208-1192072710_thumb.jpg

post-208-1192072720_thumb.jpg

post-208-1192072733_thumb.jpg

post-208-1192072749_thumb.jpg

post-208-1192072765_thumb.jpg

post-208-1192072778_thumb.jpg

post-208-1192072788_thumb.jpg

post-208-1192072799_thumb.jpg

post-208-1192072809_thumb.jpg

Rio Armored slug construction is not that radical looking at the pictures. A standard foster-type slug, copper-washed with an attached plastic base as a flight stabilizer of sorts. The hard (steel?) spike and nose cone are similar to rifle bullets such as Remington Silver tips and Bronze tips as the hard nose drives back and enables expansion of the soft lead slug upon impact.

It is screwed in.

The little ridges on the smaller diameter portion of the plastic tail stick up under the skirt of the slug and prevent it from rotating (easily anyway) while assembled. But after the lead was removed, the insert screwed in and unscrewed out very easily.

I doubt it makes a performance difference between the screw threads and any ridge type arrangement, since even at a slow rate of twist (*) of say 1-in-25 inches, a point on the outer circumference (jacket) of a .72 caliber projectile going 1500fps will rotate around in a complete circle 180 times in 1 second. I doubt it will "screw in" that fast, so they probably act just like ridges anyway.

C-

(*) I have no idea how much spin the brenneke wings impart in a smooth barrel. my math is just for example.

Ooo.. My bad, thought the spike thing was screwed in but those are just little ridges..

Suppose then it would just squish back and deform the lead then.. Still a wicked round..

Amazing pics, much appreciated. Think it would go through 2 ballistics gel blocks back to back?

Who knows? Probably no one.

Who wants to know? ME! And probably everyone else here.

Anyone know where we can get some?

Hrmmmm...The Bear thinketh.......

Edited by BlackBear

Holy crap!I've never priced ballistics gel before.

Three blocks of that stuff and I'd have enough for my new Walther!

Still, I could probably get a few friends to go in for it, it would be great to see how these and a few other things act.

Holy crap!I've never priced ballistics gel before.

Three blocks of that stuff and I'd have enough for my new Walther!

Still, I could probably get a few friends to go in for it, it would be great to see how these and a few other things act.

Yeah wow I didnt know it was that much either. I always thought it was just a big vat of orangeish jello or something.