If I buy an LEO Saiga 12c, what do I have to do?

I have it on good authority that you need NOTHING for this shotgun to be legally owned by civilians as it is. Convincing your FFL is another story.

922® restricts the assembly, as it already comes assembled it is legal because there is no more AWB.

www.atf.gov/firearms/saw-factsheet.htm

"Specifically, there is no longer a Federal prohibition on the manufacture, transfer, and possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices."

So, since this shotgun WAS covered under the AWB, it WAS unavailable to civilians and it is marked with the LEO markings. Now that there is no more AWB, refer to the quote above and you have your answer.

What about new Colt AR-15's that say LEO? Those are for sale to civies right now and are an identical analogy.

***I copied and pasted these remarks(except 1st and last paragraph) from another website, so I cannot take credit for the words...thanks M&J***

I looked up what 922(l) states....here it is:

922(l) Except as provided in section 925(d) of this chapter, it shall be unlawful for

any person knowingly to import or bring into the United States or any possession

thereof any firearm or ammunition; and it shall be unlawful for any person knowinglyto receive any firearm or ammunition which has been imported or brought into the United States or any possession thereof in violation of the provisions of this chapter.

Exactly.

It says imported IN VIOLATION. The shotgun was legally imported, therefore it does not apply.

It says possession of an illegally imported shotgun. Again, the shotgun was legally imported therefore it does not apply.

It is trickily worded for sure, but it is the way they see it. But to be safe you probably should install the parts anyway.

How are you guys going to buy them if this is the case? Do you think the people selling them are going to install these parts for you? Of course not.

The funny thing is I somewhat agree with you guys. But the point from someone infinately more knowledgeable in these matters made a hell of an argument which I gave here.

The tricky wording says it all. You didn't import it, nor did you modify it, nor where any of the two previous points done illegally. That excludes it from the violations.

If you take your last statement to be the defacto truth, then we can't own them at all!!!! Please explain that one?

see right here:

"and it shall be unlawful for any person knowinglyto receive any firearm or ammunition which has been imported or brought into the United States or any possession thereof in violation of the provisions of this chapter."

"or any possession thereof IN VIOLATION OF THE PROVISIONS OF THIS CHAPTER"

You did not violate the importation part, therefore the possession part does not apply.

Edited by infidel

I am a civilian gun owner who simply wants a Saiga-12c for myself. The majority feel the parts are needed, some think not. I'm a regular at AK.net and AR15.com, as well as several others. I have a unique name for most of them.

If you agree with the translation USMC gives, then nobody can own this version of the Saiga...which is why I disagree after hearing both sides of the argument.

Regardless, I did say it would probably be best to put the parts in and forget about it. I just wanted to provide another opinion of the vaguely written law. I'm still going to try to get one for myself before I resort to a regular conversion.

I think this part of the link is interesting:

"Law enforcement officers and police departments may now sell or transfer semiautomatic assault weapons to persons who are not prohibited from receiving firearms."

It was legally imported which excludes it from 922(l)

illegal possession is not a factor because of 922(l) being satisfied(imported legally)

being a LEO gun excludes it from the parts rule

This would in effect be grandfathering, just like what happened in '94.

But once more...put the parts in to be safe, I plan to if I am fortunate enough to find one when I am ready to buy it. Better safe than sorry.

Well all are good arguments, but my FFL would not transfer the 12C to me without buying and replacing the 4 parts. Hell it took 10 mins and anothe 5 mins to grind off the hammer and disconnector. A small price to pay for such a weapon($450+transfer fee)

The 12C was imported legaly, but we civies cannot own a Imported so called "Assault weapon".

For the 12C to be transferred it must become a domestic weapon (no more than 10 imported parts)

Therefore changeout the 4 parts (FCG(3) and pistol grip) and you now have a domestic weapon.

Now that its a Domestic weapon it can be transferred to any person that can legaly own a gun.

FREE

Edited by freefalle7
If anyone out there does agree with infidel remember.

If you do add a mag > 5 rounds, then you at that time may have created a nonsporting firearm.

Better safe than sorry.

-Kenneth

There is no law stating a max capacity for detachable mags on semi-auto shotguns. The law says a FIXED magazine in excess of 5 rounds...

Title 18 U.S.C 921(a)(30)(D)(iii)

"(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds"

Edited by infidel

Infidel, I see what you are talking about but it is a very grey area.

I am not a lawyer and do not play one on TV :) , I dont completely understand the legal jargon of legislation at times.

I do agree with FREEFALL that it is still ILLEGAL for civilains to own imported completely assembled "Assault Weapons" because of the 89 import ban.

If it doesnt meet the "sporting purposes" clause then it cannot be imported for civilian ownership. The 12C DOES NOT meet the "sporting purposes" criteria.

LEO/MIL owenership has no restrictions.