Galil rail guards on an s-12 stock foregrip

I picked up a little widget of rail like that for my AK from a place called Sportsman's Warehouse here in Phoenix. Wound figure any of the big box hunting places, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, should have them.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/

Cabela's Optic Mounts/Bases

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0001000_400-1-2

I was trying to be cheap and rig a rail to the dust cover of my AK to make a scope rail... It worked, but the sight sat way too high. Comes with the screws needed, can just replace them with small wood screws or something if you don't want to drill and tap (I think). I just epoxied mine down, drilled a few holes, bolted it down, cut the screws down so the bolt would cycle.

I don't necessarily agree that those TAPCO rails will stay in place on the Saiga stock foregrip. They are shaped to fit the Galil profile - -so I think your concerns about them swiveling around on the Saiga handguard are well founded.

I used this rail on my S12. It's about 6 inches and made from aluminum. JSE also carries the two-piece set, although I think they have a slight curve to them to accomodate the standard M16 handguard profile. The one-piece rail went on easily - I just drilled and countersunk the holes for the mounting screws. Here's what it looks like on the gun:

Saiga_S12_CAA.JPG

For me, it works out just right with grip and light placement. I flush mounted it with the front end of the handguard -- not set forward like the Russian ones (or Cobra's replication). I use a Viking Tactics light mount with the TACSTAR 6 flash light and it's a very convenient set up.

Jim

Edited by Navy87Guy
Thanks Cobra. Where'd you get that little length of rail? I'm not finding any online...

LOL!..I posted this in the .308 forum but you may want to look at this as a better option. :unsure:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry169836

Picked it up at a gunshow. It came in a two pack with screws included. I believe it was from a guy selling AR parts.

Here's a better view from the bottom.

post-1293-1191580661_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that link because I was trying to find JUST that thing on JSE about a week or so ago, and even called them but it was out of stock at the time.

Does your foregrip being that close to the magwell interfere with putting in 10 round mags at all?

I don't necessarily agree that those TAPCO rails will stay in place on the Saiga stock foregrip. They are shaped to fit the Galil profile - -so I think your concerns about them swiveling around on the Saiga handguard are well founded.

I used this rail on my S12. It's about 6 inches and made from aluminum. JSE also carries the two-piece set, although I think they have a slight curve to them to accomodate the standard M16 handguard profile. The one-piece rail went on easily - I just drilled and countersunk the holes for the mounting screws. Here's what it looks like on the gun:

Saiga_S12_CAA.JPG

For me, it works out just right with grip and light placement. I flush mounted it with the front end of the handguard -- not set forward like the Russian ones (or Cobra's replication). I use a Viking Tactics light mount with the TACSTAR 6 flash light and it's a very convenient set up.

Jim

Picked it up at a gunshow. It came in a two pack with screws included. I believe it was from a guy selling AR parts.

Nice work. Does it look like it'll work with the rail centered between the forend swells, like I would like?

Nice work. Does it look like it'll work with the rail centered between the forend swells, like I would like?

Sure thing, no problem. On this one I was trying to leave just enough room behind the VFG to be able to put my hand. You could always use rail covers if it was too rough.