New Saiga Shottie AK RSB/gas tube assy & FSB

Yeah, ok, it's not really "new" technology - it's been around for 60 years, but new for the Saiga Shotties.

They won't be available in numbers any time soon. Lead time on casting is months and tooling cost is prohibitive.

Oh yeah, and to hand make these is a little labor intensive, but I'm getting it figured out. I will post when they will be ready for sale. S-20 design is very similiar, 410 is a little trickier because the gas tubes are longer in those...

post-2093-1191557063_thumb.jpg

Press-on AK RSB/Gas Tube Assy, lower HG retainer & FSB.

1-piece Assembly. Direct replacement for you factory gas tube. Requires you to press the gas block forward.

post-2093-1191558280_thumb.jpg

Bolt-on AK RSB/Gas Tube Assy

2-Piece - lower trunnion lug and RSB/Gas Tube assembly. Slip the lower lug into the trunnion and then slip the gas tube onto the gas block and swing it down onto the lug and bolt them together.

This has the advantage of not having to press the gas block. You cut the gas tube off right in front of the rear gas tube lug and send me the pieces to use on your new assembly.

***Note: neither design will have a functional RSB locking lever. The RSB is welded to the gas tube and rear retainer. Meaning if you want to swap out the upper HG frequently, you want the bolt-on design, otherwise you will have to press the gas block off.

post-2093-1191557968_thumb.jpg

My Bolt-On FSB -vs- Russian FSB

The Russian one won't work with my RSB because it is designed to work with the factory sights.

It's about 1/4" too short. I'm looking into having it cast or machined.

Any comments/questions/suggestions are welcome.

Looking for a good cheap machining source, or if anyone has contacts in the casting world, get me their info.

Brian

Bro, your making it way too easy on the new guys.....let them learn the hard way like the rest of us :rolleyes: On a serious note, it turned out nice, hope you figure out a good way to make production a little easier on yourself while still maintaining your level of quality. Things are really starting to roll for s12 owners these days.

Pricing will depend. If I have to hand make them they will be in the neighborhood of $250-$300

There's about $100 worth of parts there not to mention labor.

The last couple casting quotes for the FSB put the tooling at $8000. :unsure: But we'll see, I'm hoping a machine shop comes back that is needing some work and gives me a break.

Hell yeah dinzag! Mark is right though, if that stuff had been around back when we first fabbed ours, things would have been SO much easier. I remember when I first discovered the problem of the FSB being 1/4" too short to work with my AK RSB and having to ship a couple of Romy FSBs all the way to Bulgaria to have a guy custom weld mine up to my specs. I could have found someone closer but I was helping him out too.

NICE WORK MAN! :super:

Thanks guys! :up:

conju, correct, the flip lever will be non-functional. The gas tube will be removable if you press the gas block on the press-on version or unbolt the bolt-on one. (the rear sight block will then come off with the tube) You can then twist out the upper HG.

Reason why - there's nothing to keep the rear sight block in place without the gas tube in there. The one I tested was not attached and it never budged, rock solid even, and with the bolt-carrier in there I don't think it could come off, but it makes me nervous.

I suppose I could supply a weld-on set like I have on all my shotties, but you'd have to be sure you got it clamped tight and aligned before you zap it. Then flip the lever and off she comes...

• 8 months later...

DTI, many changes & improvements have been made to the upper assemblies since I started doing them, but they are on the site right now. The front sight blocks are improved as well.

I was aiming to have the parts for sale outright so guys didn't have to send me their tube, but the trunnion lugs and geometry make each specific to each shotgun.

So you just need to bump your gas block forward 1/4" or so and the tube will fall out. Send it off to me & a few weeks later it's coming back.

Just reinstall it and once she's on you don't have to remove it. The front upper retainer is removable so you can swap the upper HG in & out.

Shoot me an email if you have any questions about anything.

There's more info on the site as well...

post-2093-1214616670_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1214616680.jpg

Edited by dinzag
  • 7 months later...