I recently bought five of the 'Build Your Own' AGP 10 round magazines. Ran three full magazines through each of them with zero issues. They ran like a dream, though one is a little snug fitting into the receiver. They were cheaper than any other magazine solution ($2 a round capacity) and are sturdy. I'm tempted to buy another five. :)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still can't find any magazines in that video... all I see are purple mountain's majesty.

My biggest complaint about the AGP mags is they cause me to run out of ammo too quickly.   Nice rig topmaul!

Well you obviously were not here when just about every thread on the forum was about AGP mags, and there was so much trolling, crying, and bitching every day that AGP themselves bailed on our forum.

Posted Images

My 10 rounder I got w/ my gun had the spring explode in it today into 14 pieces. But I have no idea how old it was other than it was a second gen. Guess I'll be buying a new spring.:ded:

You gotta be shittin me. The spring in one of my AGPs shattered into 14 pieces too015.gif. I emailed AGP at the address listed on their website and they are sending me one spring for the mag that had one fail and one for my clear mag "just in case". They told me they had a batch that was heat treated improperly, so they are overly brittle. I'm thoroughly satisfied with their customer service. I emailed them and they responded the next day and just asked for my address. I just hope I an afford to take advantage of their unassembled mag deal before it runs out.

post-19654-0-27347800-1291812286_thumb.jpg

I had recently traded some stuff for 2 AGP Gen1 mags that were new, never used/fitted. One of them had the infamous rusted springs which I have never encountered on my Gen2s. After two loadings at the range I heard the pop sound some have reported here and low and behold, the spring was broken.

After emailing AGP, they quickly sent out two new springs that look and feel much better/stronger than the Gen1s. This does not jade me to the AGP mags. It only serves to prove AGP stands behind their mags and will make it right. Great mags and great CS. I will continue to buy AGPs. :super:

My 10 rounder I got w/ my gun had the spring explode in it today into 14 pieces. But I have no idea how old it was other than it was a second gen. Guess I'll be buying a new spring.:ded:

Give them a call. They are aware of the problem and they will make it right.

Just to let everyone know, I received my replacement springs in the mail today. I only emailed them about my problem 4 days ago. HUGE +1 for AGP and their AWESOME customer service!!!027.gifwub.gif032.gif

Edited by DrGonZo
  • 3 weeks later...

Just received my two AGP do it yourself 10 round Saiga-12 magazines. I will say that both sets were warped, but nothing that a little heating couldn't cure. When I put them together, there was at least a 1/4 inch gap at the top and bottom, maybe a little more. Quite a bit of scraping as well. Took me about one hour of fitting and scraping to get them right. VERY nice looking, and seemingly sturdy mags. I hope they perform as good as they look. Buds is taking there time shipping my S-12, was hoping for this Friday pickup, but looks like possibly Monday now. Did anyone else receive semi warped mags? Not knocking them, but might spend the extra $5.00 each next time for the completed magazine.

Just received my two AGP do it yourself 10 round Saiga-12 magazines. I will say that both sets were warped, but nothing that a little heating couldn't cure. When I put them together, there was at least a 1/4 inch gap at the top and bottom, maybe a little more. Quite a bit of scraping as well. Took me about one hour of fitting and scraping to get them right. VERY nice looking, and seemingly sturdy mags. I hope they perform as good as they look. Buds is taking there time shipping my S-12, was hoping for this Friday pickup, but looks like possibly Monday now. Did anyone else receive semi warped mags? Not knocking them, but might spend the extra $5.00 each next time for the completed magazine.

Did you contact them about the issue? That is the first thing I'd do if I got any product that was not serviceable upon receipt. I haven't purchased any kits, only complete mags and none are in any way deformed.

Did you contact them about the issue? That is the first thing I'd do if I got any product that was not serviceable upon receipt. I haven't purchased any kits, only complete mags and none are in any way deformed.

Wildcat, will contact tomorrow, but not for replacement. They are working fine and believe me, if they were unserviceable/unrepairable, I would be sending them back. This was a minor fix, but could see how it could get out of hand quickly (bad batch?). Won't truly know until I test fire my S-12, but I can easily load and unload 2.75 and 3 inch buck and slugs just fine. Was just curious if others had received the same.

Edited by sjgusmc21

Yeah I got two and they were a bit warped, really the only problem was the screws being so small it was kinda tough getting enough tork to get the sides to screw together. But with a little patience and some cramped fingers they went together. I also had to scrape some but not much. They run great they're good mags, I'm happy.:smoke:

Yeah I got two and they were a bit warped, really the only problem was the screws being so small it was kinda tough getting enough tork to get the sides to screw together. But with a little patience and some cramped fingers they went together. I also had to scrape some but not much. They run great they're good mags, I'm happy.:smoke:

Yeah, that is how I feel. They seem sturdy as hell, and all though bigger then what I thought, just doesn't seem like their are 10 rounds in them! Glad I wasn't the only one with cramped hands! :)

Shit!

I let my mags sit in the safe for 16+ months and used them today... the springs shattered. Emailed AGP about replacement...

Loaded or empty and have you ever wiped the springs down with oil?

Empty, in the safe for 16+ months. Never cleaned nor wiped with oil. Never though I had to... Ever done that with, say, Glock mags?

Shit!

I let my mags sit in the safe for 16+ months and used them today... the springs shattered. Emailed AGP about replacement...

Loaded or empty and have you ever wiped the springs down with oil?

Empty, in the safe for 16+ months. Never cleaned nor wiped with oil. Never though I had to... Ever done that with, say, Glock mags?

Indeed. This worries me a little. 21 years of using 'whatever' M16A1/A2 magazines and never did I have a single spring failure. Not to mention all of my old ComBloc stuff. Yes, I tend to wipe all of metal parts with a thin film of oil, but it still shouldn't matter.

Well a shotshell is pretty dirty and after emptying a mag you can push on the follower and blow smoke so I'm guessing they get pretty dirty in a confined moist warm area more so than an AR mag. I've never been able to blow smoke rings with any other mags from any other guns I have.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I had better check mine. I have five that I've had no probs with, but I've never taken them apart for cleaning (OOPS!) The post about shotgun shells being dirty reminded me not to ignore the details, which can bite you in the backside...

Happy to say...5 AGP 10's are on the way!

Update, My mags arrived today! Went together nicely, and seemed to allow the shells to pass through smoothly with no scraping, I will be test firing on Thursday to see if I need to scrape. One word of caution regarding the small screws, don't go ballistic torquing them, I did break one head off. The magazine still fits together tightly though, so I don't foresee it being a problem, since it wasn't at the top or bottom.

I don't know if it was just my 10 round AGP mags that are having this problem or if all Gen 2 AGP mags do this.

The top round flips out VERY easily.. Just a bump taking it out of my range bag and the top shell will pop out flying over the bench...

Take your finger and gently lift up on the front of the shot shell and it will VERY easily lift up and then pivot, the spring pressure then pops it out.

My other mags do not do this. The surefire plastic lip mags hold tight.. and the OEM 5 round with the spring steel clip lips hold very tight and the MD-20 drum holds it even tighter.

In one of the videos in the drum wars, the bad co shows this problem in the other co drum. (it was not representative of the MD-20 drum so it had been modified) But... anyway.. The vid clip shows the problem I am having with the AGP mags. (My Md-20 drum is perrrrrrrrrrrfect and holds the top round very tight)

I called and asked if they had a different batch of spring clips, or feed lips... what ever you call it.. Nope apparently they had not changed from gen 1 to gen 2. I have not seen a gen 1 so I have no clue what the differences are..

Knowing that my MD-20 drum and OEM 5 round mags DO NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM I took the spring off the Saiga mag and it fit on the AGP and was better..But still the back of the mag pushed the shot shell farther forward so it does not rest on the lips correctly.

I called MD and they sold me 5 clips Now the MD clips are not to OEM spec They are thicker and a little taller. But I could make it work. Some time with a bastard file, a dremel, pair of pliers, and my bench vise and I was all set.

After getting my 5 clips I modified them to fit on the AGP mags I had to remove material in the back area under the mag catch so it would slide forward enough to pop over the nubs.

I also had to bend the tip with the hole for the nub in a little so it would angle in as the clip is slightly narrower so the holes would angle out a little.

The springs being thicker would be tighter in the magwell so I used the dremel to remove some material at the bottom edge and the top edge above the hole back to the lip. I just "broke" the edge removing the 90 deg making it a 45 deg. This helped the mag seat as you rock it back. It woudl not catch on the sharp edge of the wider spring clip.

After an hour or 2 I managed to rework the 4 MD-20 Drum clips to fit the AGP mags. I bought.

If anyone else is having this problem this is a $29 fix for the 5 springs (one extra)

Problem SOLVED! No longer do the top rounds flip out and fly all over. Still not as tight as the OEM and MD-20 holds them but a WHOLE LOT better.

Once I figured out what needed to be modified on the MD clips ti was not hard to re-work them. I have kept the AGP springs just in case the MD springs do not stay on or if there is a problem but I thing AGP should fix this. It is unacceptable IMHO.

The brass does not rest on the lips correctly and the length of the contact area is shorter on the AGP clips contributing to the problem.

SureFire mag .. Note contact point on High Brass.

IMG_2659.jpg

Modified AGP Mag with MD-20 Drum clip note contact point and fit of clip to shot shell brass

IMG_2660.jpg

Rear view showing modified clip

IMG_2663.jpg

First modified clip a little messy but works well

IMG_2661.jpg

Second clip cleaner now that I know where and what to remove

IMG_2662.jpg

Note the difference between the two clips AGP on left MD clip on right

IMG_2664.jpg

Now that I have re-worked the AGP mags I am happy .. I really like every thing about them besides the loose top round problem.. With that fixed I now have the 10 round mags I expected. With a little time and effort you can really improve your AGP mags to have the same retention the OEM and MD-20 drum have.

AGP could easily make a few changes to make their mags 100%.

Thanks to MD for selling me the clips.

Edit to add Range Report: MD clips on the AGP Mags function flawlessly. I shot low brass, high brass and RIO buckshot. All fed just fine. (with different gas plug settings) Well worth the time.. No more shot shells flipping out of my mags. :smoke:

Edited by JohnInNH
  • 4 weeks later...

this may sound like a dumb question, but what exactly does gen 2 signify? as in, whats the difference between that and any other generation saiga 12 mag?

The front tabs are wider, thus force distribution is more favorable & the mag's more durable.