• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still can't find any magazines in that video... all I see are purple mountain's majesty.

My biggest complaint about the AGP mags is they cause me to run out of ammo too quickly.   Nice rig topmaul!

Well you obviously were not here when just about every thread on the forum was about AGP mags, and there was so much trolling, crying, and bitching every day that AGP themselves bailed on our forum.

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

While I think it is a really good business model to provide such excellent support for your product, in the world of tactical shotguns (especially those sold to non-mil or non-leo) reliability is THE most important feature.

A mag that breaks even after a thousand rounds is not acceptable. In a scenario where one is under fire, you do not want your mag tabs breaking off.

You do not want fit and form problems when making mag changes. You do not want the mag material being gouged by the magwell of the gun.

If using special tactical rounds to demonstrate hate and discontent with armor or thick heavy materials, you do not want the recoil causing your mag to self destruct. Not even once in a while.

While customer service is exemplary, what happens after Obamy bans such mags and their sale? Customer support is of no use in such a situation and you will be without a method of reload.

I believe most reviews here are based on range experience and not Oh S@@T! Hit the dirt, bang the gun, drop the weapon experience. Much more rigorous, demanding and unforgiving. A single shot tactical shotgun is worthless. What is needed is a real magazine for real world scenarios. Is agp up to that task? How about video footage of testing (with certification of some sort not the old "Nothing up my sleeve...Presto" videos).

Also someone asked the question regarding the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags and no one has responded.

BTW, I own 3 agp mags mostly based on information provided here and the fact I want something with a little more capacity with which to discourage miscreants. If I have to use this weapon I will most likely be alone and not in the company of others wearing armor. A failure of the weapon or ANY of its accessories WILL most likely be fatal. Having to fiddle with the mag in addition to being subjected to fire is not something I want to experience.

I have issues with the softness of the material of which they are made. They gouge easily and this in turn causes then to be difficult to change out quickly. They are tight in comparison to factory mags and therefore not suitable out of the box for, again, quick change out.

Some of this has to do with fit and finish of the firearm but, a metal sleeve that surrounds the entire top of the mags would go a long way toward rectifying most issues here.

I have not spoken to AGP. Nor am I saying they do not have a good product. Apparently they are very well received here. So these would be my opinions regarding this thread and my out of the box inspection.

While I think it is a really good business model to provide such excellent support for your product, in the world of tactical shotguns (especially those sold to non-mil or non-leo) reliability is THE most important feature.

A mag that breaks even after a thousand rounds is not acceptable. In a scenario where one is under fire, you do not want your mag tabs breaking off.

You do not want fit and form problems when making mag changes. You do not want the mag material being gouged by the magwell of the gun.

If using special tactical rounds to demonstrate hate and discontent with armor or thick heavy materials, you do not want the recoil causing your mag to self destruct. Not even once in a while.

While customer service is exemplary, what happens after Obamy bans such mags and their sale? Customer support is of no use in such a situation and you will be without a method of reload.

I believe most reviews here are based on range experience and not Oh S@@T! Hit the dirt, bang the gun, drop the weapon experience. Much more rigorous, demanding and unforgiving. A single shot tactical shotgun is worthless. What is needed is a real magazine for real world scenarios. Is agp up to that task? How about video footage of testing (with certification of some sort not the old "Nothing up my sleeve...Presto" videos).

Also someone asked the question regarding the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags and no one has responded.

BTW, I own 3 agp mags mostly based on information provided here and the fact I want something with a little more capacity with which to discourage miscreants. If I have to use this weapon I will most likely be alone and not in the company of others wearing armor. A failure of the weapon or ANY of its accessories WILL most likely be fatal. Having to fiddle with the mag in addition to being subjected to fire is not something I want to experience.

I have issues with the softness of the material of which they are made. They gouge easily and this in turn causes then to be difficult to change out quickly. They are tight in comparison to factory mags and therefore not suitable out of the box for, again, quick change out.

Some of this has to do with fit and finish of the firearm but, a metal sleeve that surrounds the entire top of the mags would go a long way toward rectifying most issues here.

I have not spoken to AGP. Nor am I saying they do not have a good product. Apparently they are very well received here. So these would be my opinions regarding this thread and my out of the box inspection.

While this seems to be a very well written post, i must say you've made a interesting choice for a first post...

I usually like a hi guys this is what i'm about, and heres a pic of my beauties type post first befor giving profesional opinions.

You don't want everyone thinking your stuffy right? :rolleyes:

Stuffy hmmm.

Well I've been told I'm full of it a few times.

My apologies, you are correct.

Hi all. I am new and a recent purchaser of a S-12.

I've been lurking for quite some time so I guess I felt right at home.

When I finish the modding of my Saiga I will post pics.

Honest.

No problems, like i said it was a well written post, and no where did i imply you were full of it.

If you havn't started modding it might i recomend a post documenting your modifications? That would give you a perfect place to ask questions and through your work teach others looking to do something like what your doing. I always loved build up posts.

I purchased 2 AGP mags from the front page and was able to test them today. Out of 75 Remington 2 3/4" low brass and 50 Winchester 2 3/4" low brass, both the Wally World value boxes. One FTE and the rest flawless. Not bad. I think I will get two more before trying the Promags.

I agree to a point, BUT unless people are allowed to post complaints whether or not they complain to the company how is the free exchange of data suppose to be exchanged?

I'm am sure managing those posts is a PITA, but if you wanna maintain a forum, those are the things that go along with it. A Hummer forums started doing the same years ago, and pissed off so many members, they now do not exist anymore because the members bailed.

Isn't the purpose of these privately created forums for data exchange between those with the same interests?

Frankly, the post sounded like a total defending of the manufacturer WITHOUT regard to defects that may be occuring in the field.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree to a point, BUT unless people are allowed to post complaints whether or not they complain to the company how is the free exchange of data suppose to be exchanged?

I'm am sure managing those posts is a PITA, but if you wanna maintain a forum, those are the things that go along with it. A Hummer forums started doing the same years ago, and pissed off so many members, they now do not exist anymore because the members bailed.

Isn't the purpose of these privately created forums for data exchange between those with the same interests?

Frankly, the post sounded like a total defending of the manufacturer WITHOUT regard to defects that may be occuring in the field.

I agree.

Well you obviously were not here when just about every thread on the forum was about AGP mags, and there was so much trolling, crying, and bitching every day that AGP themselves bailed on our forum.

There's a big difference between sharing information and crying like a little baby.

I purchased 2 AGP mags from the front page and was able to test them today. Out of 75 Remington 2 3/4" low brass and 50 Winchester 2 3/4" low brass, both the Wally World value boxes. One FTE and the rest flawless. Not bad. I think I will get two more before trying the Promags.

just a heads up,there are many post that show poor performance by pro mag ,i to have an expensive door stop now, the agp and shurfire mags 5 and 8 round seem to have the least malfuctions for me .

• 4 weeks later...
these mags rock,the only problem with them is for some reason you use up ammo very fast :killer::super:

Greetings from Manila everyone! I just picked up my Saiga 12K at the store this afternoon. It only came with one 5 round magazine. Is this typical? I ended up buying an original IZMASH 8 round magazine for about $138. Can anyone comment on the quality of these magazines?

post-18959-1244657320_thumb.jpg

Yes, S-12's typically only come with one 5-round magazine. Both the 5 and 8-round Izhmash magazines are generally regarded as the toughest and highest quality magazines available for the gun.

Oh Great! Thank you man; I feel a lot better now. I'll return then to get a second 8 round mag.

Well, my converted S 12 is still new, and I haven't been able to shoot it yet. But I got a factory 5 round mag, and bought 3 AGP 10 round mags. I also bought 3 SureFire 5 round mags. While I haven't been able to give any of the mags the "acid test", I CAN surmise a little from loading and unloading them, and inserting them and removing them from the shotgun.

My initial observations:

The factory and AGP mags look well engineered and produced, trim but strong looking. I like the steel reinforcements around the tops and feed lips of the mags. The SureFire 5 rounders are considerably bigger and bulkier than the factory 5 rounder, and the floorplate is blocky and cumbersome looking. They have no steel reinforcement around the top and feed lips. When doing a combat mount from an African carry, the SureFires tend to make smooth transitioning from left rear slung to right front mounted difficult, as they get in the way.

All were slightly stiff loading initially, but after loading and unloading them a few times, they smoothed out. I expect them all to function fine when shooting. All were tight and difficult to insert into the gun initially, but show signs that they too will loosen up with use. The SureFires seem to be more difficult to insert and remove than the factory or AGP, but again, that may change with use.

Loading the factory and SureFire mags was easy. The AGPs took a little finesse, but again, I expect them to smooth out with use. The follower in them seems to tilt and hang up with the first 2 or 3 rounds, but then works okay after that. Once one learns how to work around that though, they're easy. Just push down on the middle of the follower and load the firsr round, then press down on the MIDDLE of the previous shell and make the follower move downward and insert the next round. After the first 2 or 3 rounds, the rest go in easily. Once the knack is learned, it becomes automatic. Even so, I have to remind myself that the whole idea behind spare mags is to not have to refill them in the field, or under stress in a defense situation. The user SHOULD have plenty of spare mags, fully loaded and ready for use, and should not have to rely on filling mags while being shot at, or in the case of hunting, while game escapes.

While some here complain about AGP mags coming apart with use, mine seem solid and well built. I prefer them over the SureFire because they are much trimmer and allow for easier maneuvering of the shotgun with a full loaded mag. I'll find out more when I've fired the gun and run through the mags a few times, but so far, I like the AGP mags best for aftermarket, and the factory mags too. I have no ProMags or Taiwanese, so I can't speak for them. I'm sure someone else here has a combination of all of these mags; factory, AGP, SureFire, ProMag, and Taiwanese, and can provide a more comprehensive analysis of them, especially in use and after several hundred rounds have been through them.

I just wish AGP made 5 round mags so I could use theirs for hunting, and as a more maneuverable combination for home defense. I have SureFire 5 rounders, but as I've stated here and in several other threads, they are clumsier and bulkier, more difficult to manage the gun with them over the AGPs. I can cut AGP 10 rounders down, but to either 4 rounds (not enough), or 6 rounds, (too much to be legal for hunting and not as maneuverable for home defense as a 5 rounder).

Anyway, this is my contribution to this thread. It's worth what you paid for it, so take it as only one man's thoughts on the subject, and I make no claim that it's definitive.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got in two of the Gen 2 10 rounders to help break in my new Saiga.

After about 250 rounds in the past two weeks there was only one FTE, and I contribute this more to the fact that the Saiga is still relatively new, and I was shooting Walmart Federal bulk packs on gas setting 1 :smoke:

Overall everything seems to move very smoothly inside the mag and I am more than pleased. I will definitely be buying more in the future :up:

As an addendum to my earlier comments, I just found and ordered 3 Izhmash factory 5 rounders to replace my SureFires.

[edit.]

I'm keeping and will use my AGP 10 rounders, at least unless and until I can find some Izhmash factory 8 rounders at a decent price. That's not a problem, as I like them just fine, as I've already stated.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

After a session at the range today I came home and thought it would be a good idea to take apart the mags I used and wipe them down with some silicon (helps smooth feeding). :rolleyes:

Surprise, surprise... I found the springs in all of them dry and rusted (AGP and Surefire alike)

These mags had very little use and were stored inside an air conditioned room so I wonder how they would have been if stored in a truck or a shed... :unsure:

Not a really big deal but you would think they would have sprayed the springs with oil before putting them together. :ded:

Now, I have about 12 more (new) mags to check out... Dang!

• 3 weeks later...
I ordered an AGP mag from the Saiga Store a week or two ago at the $49 shipped price and was pleased to see it arrive FedEx a day or two later. It looked great too.

However, unlike my other AGP mags, when I went to load this one man it was stiff. After the second shell, it took a lot of pressure to get the rest in. Then, coming out, they moved up in "slow motion." There's no way it would have worked in the gun.

It looked like the "tracks" at the rear insides of the sides of the mag, which bear against the bases of the shells just in front of the rim, were what was hanging them up. After removing the floorplate and spring, I could tell that the tight spot was only in the upper 1/3 of the mag.

I e-mailed Kevin, saying I assumed all I had to do was unscrew the screws holding the body of the mag together and lightly sand down the tracks in that area so as to allow free movement of the shells in that area. He replied saying "you got it," and added that unscrewing the screws a little could also fix it.

I plan to sand the tracks as needed and fully retighten the screws. A very simple fix. I thought I'd share this as I'm probably not the only one to ever encounter this, and it might save Kevin from having to reply to any similar questions in the future.

As a side note, the shiny silver screw heads on the side of the AGP's never looked right to me. I took a tiny brush and some flat black paint and painted all mine black. Looks better to me.

Mine did the same thing when I loaded them. But when I went to the range they worked fine, and loosened after the first loading. My advice, try them in the field before any permanent modifications.

There's a big difference between sharing information and crying like a little baby.

Is there a way to bring AGP back to this forum? Should I go talk to them? :unsure:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

If you go back before there were such a thing as AGP mags we had 5 round factory mags.

I just had my first problem with AGP mags and Ive had these 2 for over a year now. I was loading the mags and the springs just crumbled apart. I took the mags apart and the spring in each mag fell out the mag in about 4-5 pieces. Rusty brittle metal. Shocker is that these have never seen moisture. They've never been dropped. I'll be calling AGP this upcoming monday. (they are closed fri-sun)

Anyone know where I can get replacement upgrade springs for the AGP 10 rounders (gen 2) if AGP doesnt replace or fix these?

• 2 weeks later...

Not going to say one way or the other whether or not AGP's are good, but the two I currently have have never given me problems. I just ordered a couple more with my conversion parts so hopefully they'll work just as good as the first two I have. I've never used a surefire mag, but to be honest I don't like the ribs the surefires have on them. To be honest, if I ever wanted to carry surefires in pouches, they'd be a bitch to extract due to the bottom plates. As I can't afford factory 8 rounders, I have to opt for AGP's. I don't really trust Promag after my run in with the 10/22 drum :/

Anyways, my two cents is the AGP's are pretty good if you want to carry mags in a LBV or molle pouch, tho they do take up a LOT of space. I normally only carry 4 mags when I go shooting, 2 AGP's and 2 factory 5 rounders. I have the occasional stove pipe but that's more due to the ammo then the magazine.

Some people say they don't like the build quality of AGP's... idk I just say don't thrash on the mag and it'll serve you just fine, at least that's been my experience with them. I'm sure any magazine would hiccup of you were always throwing it on the ground right? Get a Deutsch Pouch if you're gonna do quick mag changes.

In my experience, ProMag sucks.

I've had surefires, they needed breaking in because they were really stiff and had feed problems. The follower/spring wouldnt elevate the next round into place in time for the bolt to catch it and feed into the chamber. I had a lot of shells get eating up that way.

AGP, I have had problem with 2 of the mags but it was the manufacturer of their springs that was the culprit and not AGP. In fact AGP just shipped out my 2 new replacement mags today. So I'm with AGP all the way.

Been lurking a while but no posts...anyway I got my S 12 from Larry at Fuzzy Bunny Guns after shooting with him at IM, shot the IM with it last year, I have 17 AGP mags, they and my S 12 worked like a Swiss watch, after that IM I shot a couple local 3 gun matchs and still had not cleaned the mags, full of IM dust ( if you been there you know what I mean) still no problems, I did clean them after that :rolleyes:

My point is I was almost ready to head for the IM and no mags, I called AGP on a sunday night and left a message stating my problem, I got a call back that evening from I guess the owner saying he was getting ready to post some on the site and I should grab what I needed right now, he did , I did , got 10 and was able to use my S 12 at the IM...now that's great service!!! and on a Sunday evening...I will always give them my business... great people.

I must be doing something right, my S 12 has never had a problem except for some stovepipes when I shot light loads from the hip...but it smoothed out and throughout the IM it was perfect as were the AGP mags.. I did put a Droginove (sp) style stock on it and about a 2 inch spacer...put a Krebs AK type sight with a red hi-viz AR sight and replaced the rear with a plain old Winchester levergun type sight, it will no bull shit put five round in one hole at 50 yds, and I have hit a 6"x6" still plate off hand at 110 yds... it ain't me, it's the gun with the sights..anybody could do it with this set up, I love it and will be at IM 10 next year with my Montana squad bros.....this year woold have been # 5 for me but a knee replacement in june stopped that idea... so buy a S 12 and come to the IM...you'll love it!