New Competition S-12 from Tromix (pics)

The gun is sporting the following goodies above and beyond a Basic Tromix conversion.

1. Competition stock

2. Dog legged Galil charging handle

3. Extended short throw safety

4. Extended magazine release

5. Competition hex brake

6. Ported barrel

7. Screw-in Rem-Chokes

8. Short throw trigger (pull and reset)

9. Ultra low scope mount

10. Burris fast fire optic (which is a POS) Being replaced by a Docter Optic

11. Throated chamber

12. Shortened gas system (2.25" rearward)

13. Limbsaver recoil pad

14. Magazine guide

15. Vented Galil style forend

Price $2,375 complete, less optic, lead time 11 months.

This particular gun was purchased by Dean Makkos, Grand Master 3 gun shooter as soon as I pulled it out of the case at the Nationals.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Comp1.jpg

Comp2.jpg

Comp3.jpg

Comp4.jpg

Comp5.jpg

Comp6.jpg

Dean didn't use it in the match. He used his Benelli instead and had quite a few problems with it. He claims that many times he will out cycle it and have to pull the trigger a second time. He tested the Saiga, and as hard as he tried, he could not out cycle the S-12 action. Many competitors came by and tested the S-12's custom trigger. All said it was MUCH better then their 1100's or Benellis.

Dean's Benelli also malfunctioned on at least one stage with the bolt bouncing out of battery. I had previously test fired the S-12 with about 500 rounds and it ran flawlessly. Dean fired about 3 boxes out of it, and it ran like a champ with even the lightest of loads.

Tony

Tony, how did you manage to use an internal choke in combination with a brake? Once upon a time more than a few of us wanted that option, but the general concensus was that if the barrel was threaded internally and externally that there wouldn't be enough meat left on the barrel. Was that just bullshit thinking, is the break a pressed fit or something, or am I missing something.

Pretty cool stuff, I was waiting for someone to step up to the plate and make a comp gun, kind of suprised that it took you so long.

Looks to be all function and no Valley Bitch, imagine that :rolleyes:

Tony, how did you manage to use an internal choke in combination with a brake? Once upon a time more than a few of us wanted that option, but the general concensus was that if the barrel was threaded internally and externally that there wouldn't be enough meat left on the barrel. Was that just bullshit thinking, is the break a pressed fit or something, or am I missing something.

TruChoke now has thinwall choke taps. Those may be an option for those who want both. Info is up on Brownell's site about the exact threads they have and min wall thicknesses. The minor diameter of the S-12 threading would be 21.25mm, subtract that from whatever the internal threading's major diameter is.

Otherwise standard RemChokes would make the min barrel thickness too thin.

I'm at a loss, Tony has it listed as Rem chokes, but the brake definately has flats as if it were made to screw on. Also interested in what the overall barrel length turned out to be? I don't have a clue as to what's typically used in these competitions, but the assumption would be shorter would manuver and come on sight quicker provided it doesn't disturb the pattern. Wish I could find someplace in the St Louis area that puts shotgun matches on, sounds like a lot of fun but I need some serious practice time.

Oh baby!

Thing of beauty!

Couple of questions, answer at your leisure, you've surely had a long weekend!

Moving the gas back a couple of inches ... does that better reliability?

Any testing on that brake, and any idea on how it compares to other open brakes (i.e. JP's).

I'd love to hear more about the mag guide, and a more direct pic?

Did the burris "give up the ghost?"

IIRC, that stock folds ... is that right?

Moving the gas back a couple of inches ... does that better reliability?

Any testing on that brake, and any idea on how it compares to other open brakes (i.e. JP's).

Did the burris "give up the ghost?"

IIRC, that stock folds ... is that right?

The short gas system=more gas, so it will cycle very light loads even with the barrel porting. The Burris is crap...it will shut off between shots, then come back on. The Docter is the way to go. Dean wanted the folder for tight stages like busses or outhouses.

The brake is bonded in place with #620 bearing mount.

It would run $1,900 on your gun.

Barrel OAL is about 20".

Tony

Since the gun sold for $2,375.00, does that mean that I can buy the same gun w/o the brake for $475.00? Or does that mean you NEVER want to build one again? :)

That's the AGP 10-round mag, dayan.

All the Saiga needs to be the number one competition gun is a magwell.

+1!! Coming soon!!! I'm ready to hear all the tube-fed guys cry like bitches, especially the ones that liked to laugh at the saiga in the beginning. They are gonna have to eat a lot of words! Tony asked me if I had a magwell he could put on that one but I only had 2 and couldn't part with them. One was for sticks and the other for sticks and drums.

The brake is bonded in place with #620 bearing mount.

It would run $1,900 on your gun.

Barrel OAL is about 20".

Tony

Since the gun sold for $2,375.00, does that mean that I can buy the same gun w/o the brake for $475.00? Or does that mean you NEVER want to build one again? :)

As with 1911, I would also like to know whether Tony plans to offer this Comp S-12 as part of his custom line up? Ummmmm.... I thought during an earlier posting from Tony, he mentioned (or implied) that he would, but now that he's completed the gun.... quite naturally he might have changed his mind, due to time requirements involved to make such a fantastic creation and possible headaches.

Tony?

Edited by Gary
It would run $1,900 on your gun.Tony

What this means is he takes $475 off the price if you supply the gun.

Edited by BobAsh
It would run $1,900 on your gun.Tony

What this means is he takes $475 off the price if you supply the gun.

My mistake, I read it to mean that the comp (alone) on my gun would be $1,900.00. Glad to hear I misunderstood.

Hey, have you heard the tube feeders whining yet? I hear it all the time at my gun club stuff like "the gun beat me not you" "your buying your wins" "that is just unfair" blah blah blah.

Why don't you go out and buy a Saiga?

Here is my favorate, Eric and another guy are compairing scores, the guy says "not too bad only 30 seconds behind an open gun", Eric said, "your a cop and I'm a 15 year old kid"

Now that there is a serious dedicated competition Saiga out there I bet orders will come in from all over.

Here is my favorate, Eric and another guy are compairing scores, the guy says "not too bad only 30 seconds behind an open gun", Eric said, "your a cop and I'm a 15 year old kid"

HAHAHAHAHAH~!!!

ok back to the topic...

Tony,

How much is the cheek piece by itself? I was thinking of getting one of those and mounting it on my tromix folder.

~Steve

Fantastic gun, left nothing out. That stock makes we want to own a 12 and seriously consider making it a folder.

I would never give up cheek weld just to have a folder. I only did it on one gun, an 870 with a knoxx folder, gun is set up to be compact and light weight. Knoxx has decent cheek weld for a wire stock.

No SBS allowed in my state, but with that Tromix stock, I see a great folder. With just that stock and a mag well, you would have a basic comp gun to build on.

Great gun.

This makes me wonder. Currently, it appears that most Saiga 12s are sold to people like me who just want a very unique fun gun that has lots of options. Now with custom competition guns like this one being made that apparently can outshoot and out run a Benilli or a 1100, will this mean that the competitors will start flocking to it?

I just wonder if they will start to want these even though its hard to get them as it is.