New Competition S-12 from Tromix (pics)

That stock is set up as a folder. I was going to pull the folding mechanism out, but Dean wanted it left on the gun. He said sometimes a stage has you jammed into a confined place and he may want to fire it folded.

When the mag-well comes out (provided it works) it will be very hard to compete (and win) in open class if you don't have a Saiga. That's going to mean a bunch of guys will all of sudden start buying up Saiga's.

At the Nationals last weekend, there were only about 5 Saiga's out of 150 competitors.

Tony

...When the mag-well comes out (provided it works) it will be very hard to compete (and win) in open class if you don't have a Saiga. That's going to mean a bunch of guys will all of sudden start buying up Saiga's.

At the Nationals last weekend, there were only about 5 Saiga's out of 150 competitors.

Tony

Jeez.... I can't begin to imagine what impact in the way of back orders that would have on Tromix.... and how even more problematic it will be for the average schmuck (such as myself) to locate and secure a purchase on a Saiga-12.

I have to step for the Burris FastFire. I have one on a XD45 Tactical (my 3gun open class pistol) and although I probably have less than 1000 rounds thru it I like it so far. No mechanical problems. Time will tell if I like it better for the sight picture.

• 4 weeks later...

The gun seems very impressive. The Galil handle, is this available for the home builder as a self installed option. If so, what method of attachment do you recommend, TIG welding?

The gun seems very impressive. The Galil handle, is this available for the home builder as a self installed option. If so, what method of attachment do you recommend, TIG welding?

edit: see below.

TiG welding is the only method I would recommend, and is what Tony does. He's never had a failure to date.

Edited by BobAsh

Mike, yes that is the same mod as yours.

I have weld-on Galil charging handles in stock, $45ea shipped. TiG weld installation is recommended.

These are the straight version, not the big-ass dog leg unit, like was installed on the Competition gun.

Tony

These are the straight version, not the big-ass dog leg unit, like was installed on the Competition gun.

Tony

Yep, as a heads-up Tony: THAT'S what I'm going to be requesting with my S-12 build.... the big-some-bitch dog leg galil bolt handle.

Me... lucky build number "313."

:super: ... :super: ..... :super: ....... :super:

• 2 weeks later...
Dean didn't use it in the match. He used his Benelli instead and had quite a few problems with it. He claims that many times he will out cycle it and have to pull the trigger a second time. He tested the Saiga, and as hard as he tried, he could not out cycle the S-12 action. Many competitors came by and tested the S-12's custom trigger. All said it was MUCH better then their 1100's or Benellis.

Dean's Benelli also malfunctioned on at least one stage with the bolt bouncing out of battery. I had previously test fired the S-12 with about 500 rounds and it ran flawlessly. Dean fired about 3 boxes out of it, and it ran like a champ with even the lightest of loads.

Tony

Tony:

I just had a chance to seew one of these new things used at a local IPSC rifle/shotgun match this past Tues eve. Interesting critter, Tony. I have a few questions:

First, what size are the barrel ports, and is there any formula/reason for where on the barrel they are drilled? Is any particular ammo, with respect to powder burning speed that would be preferred, or determine where you drilled the ports?

Second. . .I like the charging handle addition so it can be charged by the left hand easily (for us righties).

Third: the comp/brake on the muzzle. . .how would you stack it up against the Shark in terms of efffectiveness? Also, is it much heavier than the Shark (which I have on mine)?

Fourth: the amount of metal you removed from the bolt to allow easier closed-bolt mag changes seems like alot. It does aid in mag changes, but. . .any reason I should be worried about magnum loads or other stress issues?

Lastly: The guy that owned the gun also had a mag-catch extension that I am not sure is on the one shown here. I have one comment FYI for future mods on what seems to be a fine (AND FAST!) S-12: The mag catch extention seems to have been welded/brazed on the forward side of the mag catch. That created a problem for the guy when he tried to run the Wraithmaker drum in the gun. The problem is that the WM drum top would not clear the extension due to the additional tab of metal. The owner said that he plans too buy a WM and grind the front tab/hook on the drum to get it past the catch extension. I mentioned to him that that might result in some forward and backward slop, but he wants to do it anyway.

We are in South Florida, and I suspect thhat you probably have not sold many of these new things down there yet, so, you may even have an idea who this guy is. Perhaps you and he need to chat. But. . .all in all, a very interesting AND FAST (can't mention that enough) piece, Tony.

Please address my questions when you get a chance. Thanks in advance.

The placement and size of the gas port(s) is just my gut feel from building all the different length short barrel guns.

The 3-gun guys tend to like to shoot very light ammo, like 7/8oz loads to keep the recoil to a minimun. I don't think the brakes really do much good at all, when the ammo is so light. I am fairly confident the bolt has plenty of material to withstand 10,000 psi shells. There are many shotguns on the market that have wimpier locking mechanisms.

I have only built one of the comp guns, and it was not made to run the WM drum. No one else has ordered one, so I'm not going to get overly excited about it.

Tony

With the 2010 Pan-America shotgun Championships coming up I think more and more gun clubs are going to have local shotgun events perhaps not next year but in 2009 you can bet every one and there brother are going to be getting ready. Could you imagen if the open division winner was using a TROMIX?