Legal steps for NFA or a Trust

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe I'll name my trust the "In God We" Trust.

Gary Never EVER get over it.   Get POLITICAL!

For all sales of Suppressors, Short Barrel Shotguns, Short Barrel Rifles, Machine Guns, or any other NFA items to residents of the state of Mississippi, Alabama (no SBS or SBR), or Tennessee, we will

Posted Images

My Form 4 is now PENDING as of 04/30/08 :up::super: !!!!!

Any updates on the Form 4?

Well, I have had my HTG Cycle-2 9mm can for a while and absolutly LOVE IT!! My Beretta 92FS sounds like a paint ball gun with an almost empty tank when firing Alabama Ammo's Special K 147gr sub-sonics. :wub::devil:

Next up is...

1. NFA Item: Tactical Innovations Quest SS .22lr Suppessor

2. Form Type: Form 4

3. Transferee Type: RLT

4. Paid for Item: 7/22/2008

5. Form 4 Sent: 8/20/2008

6. Delivered: 8/22/08 14:05

7. Check Cashed: 8/26/2008

8. Pending Date: 9/29/2008

9. Approved Date:

10. Forms Received:

11. Picked up from Dealer:

12. Examiner Name: Ted Clutter

• 6 months later...

NFA Item: Tromix S17 SBS

Form Type: Form 4

Transferee Type: RLT

Forms Sent: 04 FEB 09 (Priority USPS mail w/Signature Req'd)

Forms Received: 09 FEB 09 (UPDATED ON 13 FEB 09)

Check cashed: 10 FEB 09 (UPDATED ON 13 FEB 09)

Pending Date: 08 APR 09 (UPDATED ON 17 APR 09)

Approved Date: 07 MAY 09 (UPDATED ON 08 MAY 09)

Forms Received: ?

Examiner Name: Ted Clutter

• 1 month later...

Went the LLC route today so I could add my son when he turns 18. Also because I have to get my paper work to Gem tech by the 15th so they will pay for my transfer stamp. http://www.wdfi.org/ For wisconsin only.

It took all of about 15 mins online and cost $155 because I added a $25 rush encase they had to have a person review it. Nope went right though wasted $25, but I'm on a time limit.

NFA Item: Gem tech TUNDRA 9mm

Transferee Type: LLC (is this right? just copied sarge's posts)

Forms Sent: 6/10/09 (Priority USPS mail w/Signature Req'd)

Forms Received:

Check cashed:

Pending Date:

Approved Date:

Forms Received:

Examiner Name:

Edited by Racer 27
Went the LLC route today so I could add my son when he turns 18. Also because I have to get my paper work to Gem tech by the 15th so they will pay for my transfer stamp. http://www.wdfi.org/ For wisconsin only.

It took all of about 15 mins online and cost $155 because I added a $25 rush encase they had to have a person review it. Nope went right though wasted $25, but I'm on a time limit.

Forms Received:

Check cashed:

Pending Date:

Approved Date:

Forms Received:

Examiner Name:

Looks good! Did you get in on Gem-tax's FREE stamp deal?

Keep us posted on the above situation, the BATFE is running a little behind as you can imagine the buying frenzy has effected title II weapon as well. If you want a GREAT silencer web sight to browse and gain more info go to SilencerTalk.Com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Forms Received:

Check cashed:

Pending Date:

Approved Date:

Forms Received:

Examiner Name:

Any update?

• 2 weeks later...
Found this place: http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/ . Looks like some good NFA info.

Mr Goldman has TONS of great info on their websight. I highly suggest browsing through the pages and getting as much knowledge as possible if your considering getting into the NFA realm of weapons. :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

For all sales of Suppressors, Short Barrel Shotguns, Short Barrel Rifles, Machine Guns, or any other NFA items to residents of the state of Mississippi, Alabama (no SBS or SBR), or Tennessee, we will pay to have an attorney setup and file your NFA trust within your resident state.

If you are not a resident of the states mentioned and want to buy a suppressor, SBS, SBR, or machine gun from us, contact us and we will work with you to find a firearms friendly lawyer who can setup the trust for you.

We are currently working to develop a list of firearms friendly lawyers in other states and will be posting them to www.NFATrusts.com in the next couple weeks.

• Like 1

Forms Received:

Check cashed:

Pending Date:

Approved Date:

Forms Received:

Examiner Name:

Any update?

Lost track of this. Here's an update:

Forms Received: 9/30/09 :super::super::super::killer::killer::killer:

Forms Received:

Check cashed:

Pending Date:

Approved Date:

Forms Received:

Examiner Name:

Any update?

Lost track of this. Here's an update:

Forms Received: 9/30/09 :super::super::super::killer::killer::killer:

Sweet! My form was sent the day before yours! :super:

• 3 weeks later...

This year (2009) a bill was introduced in WA State to allow the use of suppressors, we can own them in WA State and put them on a firearm ATM, however we are not allowed to actually fire any bullets through them.

As others have stated "Get Political"

This is from March 2009

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=423471&highlight=WA+Suppressor

Back in 2008

Here we are taking on the issue as a "Safety" measure...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=331390&highlight=Suppressor

We even have a facebook group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21965771250

• 3 months later...

Here's something I don't think I have seen asked or mentioned.

The $200 tax, is that a one time tax or per year?

it's a one time tax. every tranfer is another 200

dollars, except for AOWs, then it's 5 dollars.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

Here's something I don't think I have seen asked or mentioned.

The $200 tax, is that a one time tax or per year?

it's a one time tax. every tranfer is another 200

dollars, except for AOWs, then it's 5 dollars.

Straight, to the point. Just what I needed to know.

+1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Can you recomend someone in Florida that can get me started on setting up a Trust.

Thanks

This lawyer based in Palm Harbor will do it for $195, he does them quite a bit and directly talks to ATF officals in regards to issues/questions.

http://www.davisbastalaw.com/gun.php

Vultite,

Thanks for the info, I will check it out.

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the name of the trust has to be unique from any other in the Country, or does it just have to be a different address and/or State?

I'm wondering because I'm compiling a list of potential trust names, but if I can have what I want if it's just unique to my address and/or State, I won't have to worry about coming up with several alternatives if the one I want is already taken.

Thanks

Corbin

Does anyone know if the name of the trust has to be unique from any other in the Country, or does it just have to be a different address and/or State?

I'm wondering because I'm compiling a list of potential trust names, but if I can have what I want if it's just unique to my address and/or State, I won't have to worry about coming up with several alternatives if the one I want is already taken.

Thanks

Corbin

You can name it anything you want...i.e. if you like "Mickey Mouse NFA Trust" then so be it.

You can name it anything you want...i.e. if you like "Mickey Mouse NFA Trust" then so be it.

Even if someone else already has one called "Mickey Mouse NFA Trust"?

Yes, duplicate names are OK because the Trust will be specific to you the Grantor.

I.E. "Mickey Mouse NFA Trust" Grantor and Trustee Mr. Mickey Mouse and Co-Trustee

Mrs. Minnie Mouse. Something like this would allow both you and your wife access to

said NFA item incase you not around and they need to be moved, taken to a smith, or

picked up for whatever reason.

• 4 weeks later...

When the trust is a 'revokable living trust' does all of that have to be engraved on the weapon? or can it just be the 'So and so trust' instead of the 'So and so revokable living trust? I mean, hell, the name will take up half of the recievers if I have to use it the way it is written already.

I had the paperwork created for one, but was unaware that my full name and 'revokable living trust' was going to be the name. The very first part of the trust is where the name is declared. Can I just change the declared name throughout the paperwork to something shorter? I really hate to start over on this. Any help appreciated as I am really anxious about getting some Form 1s mailed out.

When the trust is a 'revokable living trust' does all of that have to be engraved on the weapon? or can it just be the 'So and so trust' instead of the 'So and so revokable living trust? I mean, hell, the name will take up half of the recievers if I have to use it the way it is written already.

I had the paperwork created for one, but was unaware that my full name and 'revokable living trust' was going to be the name. The very first part of the trust is where the name is declared. Can I just change the declared name throughout the paperwork to something shorter? I really hate to start over on this. Any help appreciated as I am really anxious about getting some Form 1s mailed out.

I would use the full name, but I do believe that some abbreviations are allowed. You don't see the state spelled out too much, it's typically an abbreviation. My trust came with the following advice:

How to Style Properties Owned by the Trust

Assets which are intended to be owned by the Revocable Trust can be styled a number of

ways. All of the following options will adequately identify the trust. I would recommend using the

first one as it is the shortest and easiest. If you use the other acceptable forms for naming the trust, it

will be difficult to complete the transfer documents because of the limited space provided for the

name of the trust. In addition, if you use a longer version on a Form 1 application the full name used

will need to be used when placing the name on the weapon.

"BIGJ480 REVOCABLE TRUST"

<SNIP>

NOTE: For the manufacturer of a Title II firearm on a Form 1, you must use the full name of the

Trust for engraving purposes, the ATF states that you may use recognized abbreviations but as there

are none for the "BIGJ480 REVOCABLE TRUST" we strongly recommend that you engrave

the full name of your trust. If you do not engrave "BIGJ480 REVOCABLE TRUST", one day

when you sell or transfer the items, the engraving will be seen and you will face the criminal

penalties associated with a violation of the NFA. It is a violation of the NFA to improperly engrave

any manufactured item.

Note that he says that "there are (no recognized abbreviations) for the "BIGJ480 REVOCABLE TRUST". That may be true, but a quick internet search does turn up an abbreviation for "revocable living trust" which is "RLT" and a less common abbreviation for "revocable trust" which is "RT" or "REV TR". So it may be allowable to engrave "evlblkwpnz RLT". The question is, what is "recognized"? That said, you should get legal advice from a lawyer if you want to be 100% certain.

Here is some more info I found:

7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on

the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they

must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms

manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.

The additional information includes:

(1) The model, if such designation has been made;

(2) The caliber or gauge;

(3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and

(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place

of business.122

<SNIP>

7.4.4.1 Variances in the name and location of the manufacturer. As stated above, the

regulations require firearms to be marked with the manufacturer’s name, city and State or

recognized abbreviation of the information. FTB will only grant marking variances for

abbreviations regarding city and State names that are commonly recognized by the United States

Postal Service. If you intend to use a name or abbreviation other than your licensed name or

recognized abbreviation, you must contact the Federal Firearms Licensing Center and complete

ATF Form 5300.38 to have your Federal Firearms License amended to reflect the addition of a

trade name or a “doing business as” name to your license. You may not use a name or

abbreviation until it is approved.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8.pdf WARNING: 10MB PDF file

Someone pointed out to me that RLT (Revocable Living Trust) is not an abbreviation that is accepted by the ATF, and that the word "Trust" should be used in lieu of RLT. For example:

M. Mouse Trust and not M. Mouse RLT. I have seen the RLT used, so I'm unsure what to say here. If in doubt, you can always call the ATF and ask. Again, what is engraved on the NFA item should match what you name your trust, so if you use an initial in your trust name, that's how your NFA item should be engraved. I seem to recall someone saying that they named their trust "In God We" and had "In God We Trust" engraved. I wasn't that original, but I like the idea.

http://www.68forums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8518

Edited by bigj480

Bigj,

I appreciate the good info. I spent quite some time on the ATF file. I learned a great deal about a bunch of things I always wondered about. Looks like I need to call them before I make a move. I don't like doing things over and over.

Thank you,

evl....