Legal steps for NFA or a Trust

Additional Trust Transfer Info:

Ladies/Gent's,

I'm sure this has been covered many a time before but even as I am a fairly new to this NFA scene I still can't believe it when I see people giving out mis-information. The below text was taken DIRECTLY out of the ATF's November 2008 FFL Newsletter. Give extra attention to "BOLDED" paragraph #6 and what is NOT needed when sending in a Form 1 or 4 on a Trust, Corporation or other Legal Entity.

Semper Fi,

MCASgt New River

"TRANSFER OF A NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT FIREARM TO A CORPORATION OR OTHER LEGAL ENTITY"

ATF has been increasingly asked questions about the procedures for the transfer of a National Firearms Act (NFA) firearm to a corporation or other legal entity, such as a trust, that is not a Federal firearms licensee (FFL).

When transferring a firearm to a corporation or legal entity you must use an ATF Form 4 Application for Tax Paid Transfer of a Firearm.

The FFL will identify the corporation or other entity on the Form 4 application by the legal name as the transferee. No individual name, such as the name of the president of the corporation, shall be included in identifying the transferee.

The Articles of Incorporation or other documentation establishing the legal entity must be included with the Form 4 application. The documentation must identify a point of contact for the corporation or other entity and must be sufficient for ATF to establish the legitimacy of the existence of the corporation or other entity.

If the firearm being transferred is a machinegun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or destructive device, an officer or director of the corporation or other entity must complete item 15 on the reverse side of the Form 4.

Items 13, 14, 16, and 17 of the Form 4 do not require completion for a transfer to a corporation or other entity nor is the submission of ATF F 5330.20, Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B), required.

Procedure after approval

Approved NFA transfers are exempt from the NICS background check. So, when the FFL arranges for the disposition of the NFA firearm to a representative of the corporation or other entity, only the ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record, must be completed by the representative of the corporation or other entity.

All other recordkeeping requirements of the Gun Control Act must be met.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2008-11.pdf

November 2008 FFL Newsletter

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe I'll name my trust the "In God We" Trust.

Gary Never EVER get over it.   Get POLITICAL!

For all sales of Suppressors, Short Barrel Shotguns, Short Barrel Rifles, Machine Guns, or any other NFA items to residents of the state of Mississippi, Alabama (no SBS or SBR), or Tennessee, we will

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

Just a question for those knowledgeable in the TRUST "LAW" lingo...

When you amend a trust by what method do you go about this? Add a Amendment Notes page stating what page, section & paragraph your rewriting or just rewrite the entire trust to what you now want it to read...or something else I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

Gunny NR

• 5 months later...

Allow me to blow the dust off this dormant thread and add a bit of relevant information.

This article reads a bit like an advertiesment for a specific lawyer, but it does have alot of good information about NFA trusts.

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_nfa_gun_trust_p1.php

Edited by Darth Saigus