To build an AR or not to build, that is the question!

I've gotten a little frustrated with sighting in my Saiga 7.62. I'm not a fan of the notch type sight and adjusting the front sight left to right is a real pain. My shots are all over the place so I'm not sure if I have my Saiga sighted. Attaching a red dot is much better but I'd like to have the iron sights working.

I made the mistake of checking out an AR at the local 'fun' store and began to investigate how customizable the AR really is. So I'm planning on building a flat-top with flip up sights. But the $$$$ difference is making me reconsider. That and after all the reading I've been doing it just seems like the gas piston system is better. I'd love an AR upper with a gas piston but then we are talking some serious $$$$$$$.

So anyways, do I keep going forward and plan my AR build or do I look at ways to modify my Saiga more?

The rail systems that are supposedly coming out that attach at the rear sight and stock look very interesting and then figuring out what rear sight to use with that and then move the front sight to the gas tube area might be an option.

Any thoughts??

If Krebs ever brings their Krebs Rear Sight Rail

post-4394-1192211679_thumb.jpg

mount to market that will fix your problem here. This will allow thew use of the AK front sight, yet allow for windage and elevation adjustment from the rear sight.

I'm in the same boat. I've thought about using the Beryl Style mount

post-4394-1192211747_thumb.jpg

and then adding the UTG handguard

post-4394-1192211778.jpg

You have an A3-style flat-top area that you could add folding sights to as well as either a red-dot or magnifying-type scope to to complete the system and simply remove the FSB, thread the barrel and add an A2-style flash suppressor, Viola!, you have the reliability of the AK platform w/ the flexibility of the AR platform and will most surely piss off the purists from both camps!

My only real concern is this: The new sights would be so tall that you would need a cheek rest to use them. This would also mean that you would be introducing additional parallax to the sight system.

Just my thoughts. . .

So anyways, do I keep going forward and plan my AR build or do I look at ways to modify my Saiga more?

AK's and AR's are totally different platforms, so it would be nice to have one of each, as 1911 said. I too have been thinking about building one, but for the price of .223 ammo, I would probably end up just looking at it more than shooting it :cryss: . If you can, put a little more money into the Saiga to get it where you want it, then start in on the AR.

I'd build an M-4 style, but then I'd have to do the tax stamp and couldn't use a sliding stock in this state anyway. Then I thought hey, I'll build a 20" A2 type, then realized the price of .223 makes it not worth it anyway.

Quick answer: if you feel you won't be able to buy one at all after the next election, at least buy yourself the registered part of the firearm. Go get a lower, stripped or whatever if you think it will be illegal to do so in the near future. That way you didn't spend much, but you're forever only a parts kit away from a complete gun.

Depends on what your time frame is and your build ability, but ORF will be releasing all the stuff necessary to build a 5.45 Galil by years end, the Galil kits are available now. They sport AR style rear peeps and an AK style front, have siderail mounts and picatinny rail gas tubes available. 5.45 is about as cheap as it gets right now, you get the piston operation you want (I don't think it's neccessarily what you need in an AR unless your in the millitary, but to each his own), and a milled AK style receiver/threaded barrel platform.

Quick answer: if you feel you won't be able to buy one at all after the next election, at least buy yourself the registered part of the firearm. Go get a lower, stripped or whatever if you think it will be illegal to do so in the near future. That way you didn't spend much, but you're forever only a parts kit away from a complete gun.

+1,000,000 Very good advice. I've never thought about that. I might have to take that advice as well. :up:

+1,000,000 Very good advice. I've never thought about that. I might have to take that advice as well. :up:

I need to take that advice myself. It's what I've been milling around in my head for the past week or so. Might as well drop the $100-$200 it costs for one. I don't know anything about the different brands other than colts are illegal in my state.

I'd build an M-4 style, but then I'd have to do the tax stamp and couldn't use a sliding stock in this state anyway. Then I thought hey, I'll build a 20" A2 type, then realized the price of .223 makes it not worth it anyway.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-1022

Read the whole thing..kits are banned... Personally I don't think there is a chance in hell it will pass.. regardless whose in office another 4-8 years.

I would at least get a good AR receiver for about $100-130 and then get a lower parts kit and buttstock,then you can pic an upper at your leisure.

I built up an M4-gery carbine on a LAR receiver and it worked great-then I sold it for a CAI FN/L1A1. I miss the little thing..

I have 1 more AR receiver and will be buying a kit from Model 1 or M&A-trying to get a 16" Dissipator barrel and a car retract stock setup. Of course being here in Kommiefornia I have to have a 'fixed 10 rd mag' but that is easy to do and rectify when needed. Also since the mag is 'fixed' I can then have all the 'evil features' like a folding/collapsible stock,FH,bayo lug(Usless if you ask me-when did you last bayonet an intruder??-'I did not want to shoot him judge so I bayonetted him--)

I say you can build up a decent basic AR for about $600 and remember-Iron sights basically never fail.

So keep messing with your Saiga or look for a rear peep/ghost ring type sight.

On the talk of ammo- I would stick with .308/.223/.762x39 since these are all available from domestic ammo mfr's, the 545 is not and the ammo WILL get rare and $$ unless remington/win/federal/etc start to offer SOMETHING produced here.Just my opinion.

Hello

I'm "patiently waiting" (tapping watch and tapping foot....) for the Rock River .308 to be released. Been waiting for like a couple of years, almost.

I realize ammo ain't cheap, but that, if nothing else will , should finally propel me over the edge toward a reloader setup. I think it would be worth it with that gun.

"still tapping........."

guido2 in Houston

Personally, putting a gas piston on an AR only fixes half of the problem. An AR normally shits where it eats and that makes for lots of potential issues with dirty ammo, but the real issue with it (in terms of a SHTF gun) lies in the fact that the tolerances for all the parts are so tight. A few grains of sand and you're out of service.

That's why for me, I just bypassed the AR and went directly to a bolt gun for my accuracy fix.

BUCK, I agree, however I plan to build my 3 gun AR for next spring, Kmoore, RonSwin, be afraid LOL. Another forum I belong to is making a limited run of AR lowers called Infidel-15 and it will have SHTF instead of FIRE, and a few other little custom engravings. On that lower I will build my AR-15. It would be my most costly gun but not my SHTF gun. For that my Saiga 7.62x39 with hp ammo.

Hey topMaul, How much for one of those lowers?? Can you make a 'FUCK ISLAM 15' and engrave the selector markings as 'Whew' and 'shtf' , I would really be interested in one depending on $$ and the leadtime for it. I applaud your endeavor!

Can you pm me on the details?? Please.

I guess in my mind it's revived the whole AK vs AR\.223 vs 7.62x39 debate.

I originally purchased my Saiga as a SHTF fan gun. But after a few trips to the range I discovered that I really like putting small holes in pieces of paper from various distances. And I really, really like it when they end up where I aim them rather than all over the place.

I don't have unlimited funds to throw around either so that plays into it as well. It would be cheaper to do some mods to my Saiga. I discovered on another AK forum that TechSights is coming out with a new sight for AK's in 2008. I also found another company that's going to offer a Kreb's Rail like mount. Again in 2008.

But I wouldn't mind having an American AR either.

I guess the only answer is to have both!!

YANKEE, For a SHIT HITS THE FAN gun I think an AK-47 is your best bet, put a folder on it a good shoulder strap and you have a lot of fire power for a quick short range engagement, every one on this planet knows the power of the AK-47, just having it over your shoulder will deter all but the most determined or stupidest villons. An AR might invite trouble because of how desirable it is. An old clunky AK is just not as attractive and not worth fighting over so the bad people will opt to leave you the heck alone.

This is just my opinion but I would not tangle with a guy minding his own business who is openly packing an AK-47 it just says don't screw with me!\

I do not have a weapon which I have not done something with the sights. I would advise getting those plastic front sight posts from www.blackjackbuffers.com they come in five different colors, I have sighted on a brush guard before when trying to get off fast shots a yellow, red, or orange front sight post will keep that from happening.

Edited by topmaul

From what I've seen and heard the AR is more accurate than the AK, but I have to wonder if we're emphasizing it too much for SHTF. From what I understand "combat" accuracy and "target range" accuracy are two different things.

In a Zombie encounter-you'll be moving, firing from cover (or you should be) they will be lurching around, and in general there will be a certain "pucker factor" involved. At that point does really make a difference if one gun shoots 1.5" MOA and a another shoots 3" MOA at 100 yards?