Bad News. Delay in Drum Release!

First let me say how bad I hate to post this thread. It is crushing my spirit. I was informed a couple days ago that the mold completion date has been delayed. A large government contract has postponed my molds in order for gov contract deadline to be met. I am not supposed to receive any test units from the molds for 5 to 6 weeks. That will be mid to end of November. If nothing needs to be tweaked I will probably be able to deliver in early December. I can't say for sure. There is still a good chance of these being under the tree. This was a very hard blow for me to take and even harder to relay to you. I really don't know what else to say. For future projects I hope to have the capital to pay a premium, around 25% more, to have my molds expedited. It will give future projects a similar priority like the contract that caused the delay. I wish I could have done it with the drum, but 25% of the drum molds cost is a very large amount and I just couldn't swing it.

Something I do take comfort in is the mold makers are a First Class company and an industry leader. They do work for very big names and agencies. To name a few; US Navy, Lockheed-Martin, General Electric, US car manufacturers........ They have the most advanced equipment you can buy. Sadly a lot of US mold makers have closed down due to people hiring China to do there jobs. And a whole lot of the US mold makers that remain are using rundown, obsolete machining equipment and can barely be considered second class companies. It's sad because the US used to be a world leader in the market.

Anyways, I'm very sorry for the delay. I have also lacked the past week in email, pm's, and post responses, (I was running around like a madman all week tying up loose ends and making sure everything was in place for what I thought was a very near production date), I probably won't answer them until Monday. I have been non-stop in some shape or form for the past few months. I think I am going to recluse for the rest of the weekend. I really need a break before I implode and blow a hole in the space time continuum that would know doubt lead to the destruction of the universe.

Again, I'm very sorry for the delay, very sorry!

Sorry to hear of he delay Mike, however, the magnitude of this project and the extensive effort you have put into a first class product lead me to view this as a temporary setback. Sometimes the unexpected bites us in the butt! You are doing the right thing and I personally have no worries. I hope the remainder of our members see the tremendous benefit of patience and simply wish you the best as you carry on.

Things happen sometimes that are entirely out of our control............. No big deal, Mike!!

I, for one, will just sit back and wait for it............. It'll be all that much better when they do come in !!!!! You indicated all along that there was the possibility of a delay due to one factor or another, so its not like you never mentioned that it could happen....... Just remember how long we all waited on the AGP mags !!!!! (a damned sight longer than we'll end up waiting on the MD drums.......)

Hang in there, Mike, and we'll all hang in there with you !!! (well, most of us......there are always going to be the screamers, criers, and naysayers who'll blow a gasket over this.......) This should give you an excellent opportunity to get crackin' on those magwells !!!! LOL !!

Things happen sometimes that are entirely out of our control............. No big deal, Mike!!

I, for one, will just sit back and wait for it............. It'll be all that much better when they do come in !!!!! You indicated all along that there was the possibility of a delay due to one factor or another, so its not like you never mentioned that it could happen....... Just remember how long we all waited on the AGP mags !!!!! (a damned sight longer than we'll end up waiting on the MD drums.......)

Hang in there, Mike, and we'll all hang in there with you !!! (well, most of us......there are always going to be the screamers, criers, and naysayers who'll blow a gasket over this.......) This should give you an excellent opportunity to get crackin' on those magwells !!!! LOL !!

+1 on that for me also.

So far, I am quite satisfied with the info and updates. They get here when they get here.

Thanks for the update Mike. It sucks, and I am with the previous people's posts... not your fault. Pick your spirits back up Mike, you have quite a large fan club here due to your professionalism, keeping everyone informed, and your obvious attention to quality and detail. If by chance anyone is stoopid enough to give you shit about this delay they can kiss off.

Running your tree company AND MD Arms definately take it's toll. This delay is a good time for a break for you. Take a break Bub :)

I am so angry I would go on a shotgun rampage, but since I only have 10round mags whats the point?

:lolol:

And for any retards who didn't get the joke.....it was a joke.

A big +1 to what the other guys said above. I know you hated to give the bad news, but having the balls to do that makes it a little easier for us to be patient. We're behind you. Take some time to recuperate. Enjoy the weekend! :smoke:

Ditto with badman400's and all the other member's positive posts! Don't for a moment beat yourself up Mike for what is not in your control.

Like Jeaux E, I'm more than okay with sitting back and waiting for the item to arrive as it should; how you desired it to be produced, versus something being dicked-up with it. Haste makes waste.

~Gary

Thanks Guys! I know I said I would probably not be back until Monday but you can't keep a good man down. Just sitting around is not helping my spirit at all. I have an obligation to everyone here and that has ordered and I just need to suck it up and stay on the trigger. I'll be back in a little bit to respond to post comments I've missed (there is a certain comparison thread going that is lacking my comment and response in particular, some things in it need set straight with more fact and less opinion) and PM's from the fourm. Right now I need to go an answer the individual emails I've missed over the last week. Be back shortly! Thanks again Guys!! You rock!!!! :super::super::super:

well since you have the delay and can't produce anything, how about spending the down time tweaking the molds for a 2-3/4 & 3" drum ?

Seems like a positive use of the time and a money saver on your end because you only need one set of molds to please everyone.

just a suggestion you know, I'm no where near knowledgeable in your business to tell you what you have to do. I'll be disappointed if i don't get them for Christmas, it will be like that time................

"5 o'clock Christmas morning, I run downstairs and look under the tree and what do I find? Uncle Alfresco, dead on the floor, shot through the back of the head. Plus no bicycle. It was a disappointing Christmas on many levels."

Even though I stated possible delays it still sucks. I truly didn't expect it to be delayed this much if more than one issue came up. Here one thing came up and caused a big delay. I guess this big delay takes away a lot of the possibility of delays caused by other things like material and metal parts not arriving on time. But it doesn't take away the possibility of further delays that would be caused by tweaking in the molds. If the molds need tweaked it really shouldn't cause a big delay or anything but even if they need tweaked only one time it might push the shipping date to after Christmas. I am hoping for the best!

I was able to return about half the emails I was behind on and then my email server stopped responding. I'm going to go back and try it again. If it still isn't responding I will return and start answering PMs from the forum.

Mike,

Remember that good things come to those who wait. When they are ready, we will all be waiting patiently and the reward will be greater than if you hurried and went to a substandard contractor. Make your product on your terms with no compromises on the quality of the workmanship or materials.

nyclu3

you guys are something else.

cobra, almost called you up for lunch in raleigh today. could not spare the time, sorry dude.

mike, let me know when you have something for me to break. you SURE you want me to test a drum or two for you? because thats how *I* test things. I figure out how to break them. ill even send you the physical results back for you to shake your head and laugh at. (seriously, ill buy a couple from you when you get them put together finally. I have a few people here on the forum that I need to play "catch up" with, actually)

as for huge projects and delays, try building a house for someone from NYC that is never reachable and doesnt supply funds or material on time. see what happens. oh wait, thats part of why I AM NOW A FLORIDIAN! hopefully, i can stay out of the papers and jail while im here. :)

you guys are something else.

cobra, almost called you up for lunch in raleigh today. could not spare the time, sorry dude.

mike, let me know when you have something for me to break. you SURE you want me to test a drum or two for you? because thats how *I* test things. I figure out how to break them. ill even send you the physical results back for you to shake your head and laugh at. (seriously, ill buy a couple from you when you get them put together finally. I have a few people here on the forum that I need to play "catch up" with, actually)

as for huge projects and delays, try building a house for someone from NYC that is never reachable and doesnt supply funds or material on time. see what happens. oh wait, thats part of why I AM NOW A FLORIDIAN! hopefully, i can stay out of the papers and jail while im here. :)

Now that you are a FLORIDIAN, I am sure that you are aware that you can acording to state law own a

Machine Gun

Sound Suppressor

Short Barrel RIfle

Short Barrel; Shotgun

AOW

Large Bore Destructive Device

Explosive Destructive Device

So Bvamp, how does it feel to be "FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST, THANK GOD I'M FREE AT LAST!"??

I dont know man, I gave up an awful lot just for a few things that i didnt have. a contempt of court conviction doesnt help a tax stamp approval from what Im am told. (thats a pretty good story that I wont tell here)

but I can convert my s12 (which I probably wont do), and put a FH on my americanised sar1 (again which I probably wont do).

I had to ditch all my HP ammo and fired off my 20 round mag HD load of tracers and AP rounds before leaving because some states I travelled through and to do not allow hollow points (in jersey they area felony B PER ROUND loaded in a magazine) and where I am now doesnt allow AP or tracer rounds, although I can now buy fireworks?

I already cursed out a couple people here for dragging ass in a BIG way. have to find a store to buy smokes and whatnot that dont talk on the phone for ten minutes w2hen you are standing there at the counter waiting for them to acklowledge your existance. I wonder how anything gets done down here with how slow everybody is.

:) oh, they are going to LOVE ME down here. Ill be lucky if I live through till the new year without getting shot by some drunken redneck that I wont take shit from.

and 1911, you forgot that I can now (once I change my license over this week) buy handguns without a carry permit and sell them to you guys!!! that one thing opens up some possibilities for me money-wise.

anyhow, sorry mike, didnt mean to hijack your thread.

we appreciate you keeping us all in the loop.

The south has a wonderful way of mellowing people out...

some beers, good bbq and folks who wave even if you flip em off.

Be happy bro! you deserve it!

I dont know man, I gave up an awful lot just for a few things that i didnt have. a contempt of court conviction doesnt help a tax stamp approval from what Im am told. (thats a pretty good story that I wont tell here)

but I can convert my s12 (which I probably wont do), and put a FH on my americanised sar1 (again which I probably wont do).

I had to ditch all my HP ammo and fired off my 20 round mag HD load of tracers and AP rounds before leaving because some states I travelled through and to do not allow hollow points (in jersey they area felony B PER ROUND loaded in a magazine) and where I am now doesnt allow AP or tracer rounds, although I can now buy fireworks?

I already cursed out a couple people here for dragging ass in a BIG way. have to find a store to buy smokes and whatnot that dont talk on the phone for ten minutes w2hen you are standing there at the counter waiting for them to acklowledge your existance. I wonder how anything gets done down here with how slow everybody is.

:) oh, they are going to LOVE ME down here. Ill be lucky if I live through till the new year without getting shot by some drunken redneck that I wont take shit from.

and 1911, you forgot that I can now (once I change my license over this week) buy handguns without a carry permit and sell them to you guys!!! that one thing opens up some possibilities for me money-wise.

anyhow, sorry mike, didnt mean to hijack your thread.

we appreciate you keeping us all in the loop.

B, as far as I can tell, you're just a 'displaced' rebel. I have a friend that lives in SC. He spent most of his life in NY. He's been living in SC for about 5 years and he fits in just find (except for the accent). You'll love living in the south. Just give it some time. And watch out for those FL skeeters!!!

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT I NEED A PERMIT TO CARRY A KNIFE?? give me a break.

racegal, i wouldnt jump to any conclusions. the real americans down here I like, but the rest of these people and how things work? already having problems accepting it. damn these people dont know how to drive and they drag ASS. im sorry, but, how the hell does anyone get anything done this century down here?

<<INSERTING POST HERE, sorry>> Racegal was enjoying the freindly chat B

Hopefully Y'all can continue this in another thread. We all know how long MD's threads tend to get all by themselves...

She says...

"Well, down here we don't jump, we walk. smile.gif Time will tell. I don't know. Maybe you went a little too far south? Just enjoy the fact you won't have to deal with snow. Or seasons. Whereabouts you live? North south eat west? I just visited Ft. Meyers on the east coast and the skeeters were HUGE. You stand outside too long, you could die from blood loss!!!

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy where you're living."

Edited by Cobra 76 two
well since you have the delay and can't produce anything, how about spending the down time tweaking the molds for a 2-3/4 & 3" drum ?

Seems like a positive use of the time and a money saver on your end because you only need one set of molds to please everyone.

just a suggestion you know, I'm no where near knowledgeable in your business to tell you what you have to do. I'll be disappointed if i don't get them for Christmas, it will be like that time................

"5 o'clock Christmas morning, I run downstairs and look under the tree and what do I find? Uncle Alfresco, dead on the floor, shot through the back of the head. Plus no bicycle. It was a disappointing Christmas on many levels."

Im sure that Mike will tell you that a precision T&D mold cant just be changed like that. There are countless hours of machining and hand finishing to get a single die made and so much as a human hair falling in a die can cause problems.

I have worked in large factories where such a problem can shut down a assy line. Once you start on a injection mold or stamping die if you want to make a change like that your looking at starting over basicly.

Its out of Mikes hands and I dont even know him but I know manufacturing. The best thing is to let him do what he has promised to do. Bring a quality product on line. He can deal with the mold makers and if you want to second guess him at this point buy a WM. I did and wont buy another. The MD drum is kind of like a Beta Mag for AR's and those are the shit.

Mike I will wait for my 2 and if someone in front of me on the order list (which shouldnt be many) backs out let me know cause I might add to my order.

OK back on topic here before this becomes another North / South thread... :rolleyes:

Anyone who is sitting on the fence thinking that they want a drum RIGHT NOW and don't feel like waiting til a good one comes out, maybe wait a couple more days and see what happens...just a little inside poop. :angel: