1st Time Poster Couple of Questions

Nuts, so much for ordering a muzzle brake from Tromix, they are backlogged until 2009. Guess its the russian one after all.

Did you call Tony and talk with him? The reason I ask is that a friend of mine just got one of these from him. I thought his 2009 date was for stuff that he does not typically have in stock (e.g. AK74 muzzle brake for a S12), or if you want some conversion work done. Thanks in advance for your response.

Amen to changing the rules... they do it with so much frequency, I write letters to CYA when in doubt. One last govt reference to thumbholes with pistol grips, as I'm done respoding to this thread.

-------------------------

[T.D. ATF-396; Ref: T.D. ATF-363 and Notice No. 807; T.D. ATF-383 and Notice No. 833]

RIN 1512-AB35

Implementation of Public Law 103-322, the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 (94F-022P)

AGENCY: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), Treasury.

ACTION: Final rule, Treasury decision.

[[Page 12644]]

(T.D. ATF-363) and July 29, 1996 (T.D. ATF-383), are adopted as final upon the effective date of this final rule.

EFFECTIVE DATE: This rule is effective on May 15, 1998.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:

James P. Ficaretta, Regulations

Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, 650 Massachusetts

Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20226 (202-927-8230).

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:

Temporary Rule (T.D. ATF-363) and Notice of Proposed Rulemaking

Analysis of Comments--Notice No. 807

ATF received 129 comments in response to Notice No. 807. Fifty-seven comments, representing 44 percent of the comments received, expressed general support for the temporary regulations. However, these commenters requested that the final rule include a number of changes.

One commenter recommended that the term "pistol grip'' be defined so that it includes so-called thumbhole stocks. The term "semiautomatic assault weapon'' is defined in the Act as including semiautomatic rifles and semiautomatic shotguns which have 2 or more of the features specified in the law. One of the features specified is a "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.''

The commenter stated that thumbhole stocks function in the same manner as pistol grips and, therefore, should be included within the definition of this term. ATF agrees with the commenter that replacing a separate pistol grip with a thumbhole stock does not remove the pistol grip as a feature. A semiautomatic rifle or semiautomatic shotgun with a thumbhole stock and one or more of the other features specified in the law would be a "semiautomatic assault weapon'' as defined. However, ATF does not believe it is necessary to provide a separate definition of "pistol grip'' or any of the other features listed in the statute.

--------------

So in short... maybe the ATF may consider the thumbholes on RAA's shotguns a 'sporting' pistol grip which would not preclude it from importation or distribution. I don't count it as such... and others can do as they see fit.

Edited by RDSWriter

This is the first weapon that I have changed parts around on where I had to worry about the count, I can see where this can cause a man to start drinking again,

Thanks a lot guys for all of the advice, I do not want to become bubbas bitch in prison so I am going to go better safe than sorry on the parts count. :)

I guess logic will always fail in the face of a ruling bureaucracy that changes the rules at its own whims.

well that sums up the whole debate quite well

i think thats why he wants to play it safe

it is why i go with the 14 part rule

Exactly...If you go ahead and count 14 you CYA. It's not that hard to get the shottie count down. 3 parts are in the new FCG if you do any kind of decent conversion. Then all you need is a US PG, stock, HG or piston to take it over the top and have no worries.

Tony has said he still takes orders for Shark brakes.

"Assemnbly" is used as modification when changing parts. Put a 10 rd USA mag in a stock S-12 and you "assemble " a USA made weapon. (10 or fewer parts). Take the USA mag out and insert a Russian 5 rd mag and you "assemble" a forign made weapon. Every time you change 922r status an "assembly" occurs. Government speak at it's finest.

Edited by G O B