Check this out!

Here's a nice set of US made wood for the .308 done by Matt at Ironwood designs. I'm likin it! :super: Awesome work!

I think I recognize that little piece of hardware on there too. :up:

post-1293-1192830382_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1192830436_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1192830493_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1192830549_thumb.jpg

I have invited him to join us on the forum and hopefully as a vendor. You guys please make him feel welcome.

Thanks

You have to unlock the cam by pulling up on that lever on the right hand side of your rear sight base (RSB). Then you can remove the gas tube (after first removing the bolt carrier and piston from the rifle of course).

Then you need to obtain an AK gas tube (with HG retainers) that has been modified to fit the .308 [sEE DINZAG] or modify one yourself.

Dinzag also makes and sells the lower HG retainer you would need to do one like the one pictured above.

I knew all that, but I guess I left myself open to that. I meant how do you swap the handguard itself out of the gas tube (obviously one with the retainers). I have a Romy G kit and I can't for the life of me figure out to get the old one out without destroying it, or drilling out the spot welds.

Oops sorry bout that. I have to treat every question likes it a noob sometimes...lol.

You put the gas tube in a vice with the flat sides of the rear part square in the jaws, tube facing up. Then just wrap your hands around it and twist and roll it out. If it's a hardwood HG you may want ot put some oil o it first and let it oak in. They can crack very easily. This is especially important on re installation.

Wow man, that came out pretty slick! Glad he found you a nice match for your buttstock.

Thanks for posting pics too :up:

Cobra's right on removing the upper HG from the tubes, careful with solid wood, expecially if it's been on there awhile. Get some oil between the spring clip and tube body. Also some oil on the ends where the HG contacts the retainers.