VIDEO!!! Saiga-12 Magwell, Bolt Release, LRBHO, Extended M

I'm surprised no one pointed this out to me. At the end of the video, (like a dork) I said my mag pouch was by Levi-Stratus! :lolol: My girl friend was "kind :haha: " enough to point out the error. I said "stratus" instead or strauss. I'm a dumb-ass. Leave it to a woman to point out something that involves clothing! On closer inspection they wasn't Levi's anyway, they was Route 66.

Sorry man I didn't wanna bust your bubble... :lolol:

This might be a dumb question, but why make one magwell that only works with stick mags, and make a seperate model that will work with both stick drums rather than just making the one that works for both type mags? Will the model for stick only have some type of advantage over the one that works with both types?

My vote goes for a magwell that accepts drums and sticks.

I'm not dropping the $165 into a drum that I don't ever get to use. I'm ok with having to mod my magazines to fit the well, but I want it to work with 5's, 10's and the MD-20 or I'm not wasting the dough on it.

I gotta get myself a LRBHO, mag changes are brutally slow without one.

Mike,

That looks awesome! Will your drum mag fit the magwell or would it require modification?

Thanks

The magwell in the video won't take the drum, but I do have a version that fits sticks and drums both. That way everyone will be able to have one.

Hey Mike, the video is great!!

I have a question as it relates to the LRBHO use. I shoot USPSA 3 Gun and have been building a Saiga 12 for competition. I acquired several AGP 10 rd. mags and modified the followers so they could be loaded on a closed bolt. With practice, I can reload them effeciently. In competition it would be faster loading on a closed bolt rather than releasing a bolt while in play, same as we do in rifle and handgun. My question is, why use a LRBHO at all? especially if the magazines will feed reliably in the new magwell. I have a drum on order and will also be buying the magwell. I would also use the Drum if the USPSA stages we shoot required the capacity counts for reloading during a stage. Our stages in area 6 are typically 21 rounds total, sometimes combined slugs and shot.

This might be a dumb question, but why make one magwell that only works with stick mags, and make a seperate model that will work with both stick drums rather than just making the one that works for both type mags? Will the model for stick only have some type of advantage over the one that works with both types?

It is a dumb question at all. The reason for both is because some of the comp shoots only allow 10+1. I am guessing that some of these shooters have a designated gun that they only use for these shoots and will never have a drum in them regardless. In my opinion I think I can load faster in the drum/stick magwell but just think it will be best to give people a choice.

Will the model for stick only have some type of advantage over the one that works with both types?

An earlier release date :haha:

Possibly, if one comes first it will be the stick only version. I am hoping to release them at the same time but there is a little more to the version to both and may take a little extra time to get ready. If there is a difference in the release of the 2 it won't be a big difference. Not months or anything. Hoping at least.

I have a question as it relates to the LRBHO use. I shoot USPSA 3 Gun and have been building a Saiga 12 for competition. I acquired several AGP 10 rd. mags and modified the followers so they could be loaded on a closed bolt. With practice, I can reload them effeciently. In competition it would be faster loading on a closed bolt rather than releasing a bolt while in play, same as we do in rifle and handgun. My question is, why use a LRBHO at all? especially if the magazines will feed reliably in the new magwell. I have a drum on order and will also be buying the magwell. I would also use the Drum if the USPSA stages we shoot required the capacity counts for reloading during a stage. Our stages in area 6 are typically 21 rounds total, sometimes combined slugs and shot.

I was speaking to Kmoore about this and he let me in on the advantages of not shooting yourself empty and it does make sense. I just like having a bunch of goodies and feature that are typical of modern assualt weapons. Kmoore did say that the lrbho and bolt release might make for a good back up plan if you lost count of your rounds and ran it empty though. You would be able to know the weapon was empty by the feel of the bolt locking back rather than hearing the snap of the hammer on a empty chamber.

Is there going to be a LRBHO for the x39 in the future?

I don't have any plans of designing any lrbho's. Cobra has mentioned though that he thinks he can make the design he has on his saiga-12 work in basically any AK platform. I haven't seen his design but he has described it to me in good detail and I think he has a very good shot. He is a little down and out right now though and maybe with the proper encourgment we can get him gunning on the project. If he can it would also make my bolt release good for all as well. As it is right now my bolt release is only of use on the saiga-12 and I think (haven't got to test it yet) it will work just fine with the manual bho's that Tony makes for the other gauges and calibers. The bolt release is of no really use on the manual factory bho's for the 20, .410, x39, .223, or .308.

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE THE SAIGA GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm buying all of this stuff.

Kind words but not hardly. More like an extreme saiga enthusiast!

I was speaking to Kmoore about this and he let me in on the advantages of not shooting yourself empty and it does make sense. I just like having a bunch of goodies and feature that are typical of modern assualt weapons. Kmoore did say that the lrbho and bolt release might make for a good back up plan if you lost count of your rounds and ran it empty though. You would be able to know the weapon was empty by the feel of the bolt locking back rather than hearing the snap of the hammer on a empty chamber.

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. It does make sense to have a back up, I will just have to weigh the advantages of that capibility vs. having to modify all my AGP magazines for the LRBHO capibility. Also, will the MD 20 rd. Drum have to be modified for use with the LRBHO capibility as the AGP's do?

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. It does make sense to have a back up, I will just have to weigh the advantages of that capibility vs. having to modify all my AGP magazines for the LRBHO capibility. Also, will the MD 20 rd. Drum have to be modified for use with the LRBHO capibility as the AGP's do?

My drum doesn't have a way to activate Jeric's lrbho. I think I have away to make it do this but it would require an easy to install kit for the drum. If it works right the kit would not only let you activate a lrbho but will also let you insert the drum at 20rd capacity on a closed bolt. And possibly hold 21rds but you wouldn't be able to load it on a closed bolt at 21. I'll have to wait until my drum is released to verify this though. I'm just out of funds right now for more prototyping.

Mike,

My drum doesn't have a way to activate Jeric's lrbho. I think I have away to make it do this but it would require an easy to install kit for the drum. If it works right the kit would not only let you activate a lrbho but will also let you insert the drum at 20rd capacity on a closed bolt. And possibly hold 21rds but you wouldn't be able to load it on a closed bolt at 21. I'll have to wait until my drum is released to verify this though. I'm just out of funds right now for more prototyping.

Understood, it is nice that there may be some options down the road. I will probably hold off on the LRBHO option until after your Magwell is available and I see how efficient I can be loading AGP's on the closed bolt. The mag release option and your bolt release is something I will definitely move forward on.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to say it Mike but I think the idea of releasing both the stick only and stick/drum version may not be in your best interests. First off, you have a small market and your products will steal sales from each other. Second, you're going to have to spend extra time and setup costs for two setups instead of one, meaning you have to charge more versus one setup that sells the same number of units. Third, you are a small manufacturer, you have a certain percentage chance with every product you release that they will not work correctly and the resulting costs of resolving the issue may overwhelm what resources you have available. Fourth, don't expect sales to continue at the present rate. I think you'll find that the market saturates quickly which may leave you sitting on an excessive inventory which for a new company could be a disaster. Just my two cents, sorry to be such a wet blanket...

• 4 months later...
i dont know about not being able to move product i want 3 of everything and i know a lot of you have more than 1 s12 that you will be wanting everything so when can i buy im sure you have already set a date but i missed it

I'd love to have my S12 set up like that! It would make my 3 gun experience so much better! :smoke:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...