S-12 conversion to AK-100 side folder question - latch?

I have my S12 now. I am building it into an AK-100 style "Russian" side folder. Just like I have done to my AK-103, AK-100, and AKSU builds. I can not find the retainer latch.

This AKFORUM thread describes the need for a "tailor-made" latch that is different from any other AK-100 style latch:

http://www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4575

I have all the parts EXCEPT this latch.

I have looked high and low here and can not find any source or supplier of the latch mechanism.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I am probably going to build one at this point, but I am surprised that I have not even seen these for sale anywhere.

TIA,

- Jerry

Rusmilitary.com has them:

AK front butt retainer kit panel_red.gif Izhmash-made retainer kit to be installed in the front of AK receiver to insure the folding buttstock remains fixed when folded. The kit includes 3 pieces: retainer latch, spring & pin

Price: £8-95 buy-online.gif

Just got one from RDSwriter yesterday...going to spec it out & I'll post the drawing for everyone.

The idea is to make a couple, they look kinda tricky. :up:

I trust your work , I'll pick up 4 set's off the bat if you decide to go forward with it . If you need more of a commitment then that to get you going , drop me a line , you know where I'm at . Will

Just got one from RDSwriter yesterday...going to spec it out & I'll post the drawing for everyone.

The idea is to make a couple, they look kinda tricky. :up:

I trust your work , I'll pick up 4 set's off the bat if you decide to go forward with it . If you need more of a commitment then that to get you going , drop me a line , you know where I'm at . Will

I'll get the parts spec'd out & let you know...

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine at rusmilitary.com

I emailed Oleg and he had 5 sets. - Only thing missing was the pin retainer. - I emailed him and he said he would have a replacement by Mid December - you guys may ask him if he is getting more sets.

P1030216.jpg

• Like 1
What did ya pay if you don't mind me asking.

Some of the machining/jetting quotes I got back were a little obscene...

Something like $43.00. That included the parts and the shipping from Europe.

• 1 year later...

Anyone ever figure out anything on producing these parts, or have scale drawings of them so I can have a set of my own machined up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone ever figure out anything on producing these parts, or have scale drawings of them so I can have a set of my own machined up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do me a big favor everyone. Anyone who needs a latch please reply to this and tell me if you would be willing to pay $75 for an accurate copy of this elusive latch/pin/spring/retainer set. Let me know if $75 is a yes, a no, or a hell no.

And by the way, notice that the $43 mentioned above is a reply from back in Nov'07. These things haven't been available from anyone for over a year. I just talked to Oleg@Rusmilitary this morning and he still doesn't have any, and gave me no indication he'd be getting any.

-Thirtycal

Edited by ThirtyCal
Do me a big favor everyone. Anyone who needs a latch please reply to this and tell me if you would be willing to pay $75 for an accurate copy of this elusive latch/pin/spring/retainer set. Let me know if $75 is a yes, a no, or a hell no.

And by the way, notice that the $43 mentioned above is a reply from back in Nov'07. These things haven't been available from anyone for over a year. I just talked to Oleg@Rusmilitary this morning and he still doesn't have any, and gave me no indication he'd be getting any.

-Thirtycal

Will these be hardened and blued? What kind of delivery date?

Edited by Guero

-Thirtycal

4140 heat treated, and paint over zinc parkerizing, just like the original. Pin will be a very similar to the original, parked and no paint. Pin retainer will be a standard 3mm e-clip with no 'handle', but it won't be seen anyway so it doesn't need to be exact. These will be as close to original as possible.

Lead time is TBD - let's say mid summer'09 as a round-about guess. And to make it even more complicated, there's probably a good chance I'd ask for a 25-50% pre-order fee.

Nobody get excited about this - the numbers may not work out.

-thanks

Edited by ThirtyCal

-Thirtycal

4140 heat treated, and paint over zinc parkerizing, just like the original. Pin will be a very similar to the original, parked and no paint. Pin retainer will be a standard 3mm e-clip with no 'handle', but it won't be seen anyway so it doesn't need to be exact. These will be as close to original as possible.

Lead time is TBD - let's say mid summer'09 as a round-about guess. And to make it even more complicated, there's probably a good chance I'd ask for a 25-50% pre-order fee.

-thanks

Do you have detailed drawings with the exact dimensions. If so I know some machinist I could have look and see what it would cost to produce also.

-Thirtycal

-thanks

Do you have detailed drawings with the exact dimensions. If so I know some machinist I could have look and see what it would cost to produce also.

I've got that covered, but thanks - Just trying to figure out what the market will bear in terms of price.

-Thirtycal

Let me know what you work out on this. I would be interested, and am not worried about a deposit. I am currently looking to find someone with the dimensions of the parts also to have a friend make them for me locally so I dont have to worry about them never being produced, and I can proceed with my build. Dinzag said it was going to be too costly to produce so he never moved forward with it. I dont care to start producing them only to get a set for my build

• 3 weeks later...

-Thirtycal

Tell me about it. I have been looking for Saiga-12C/12K front latches for over a year, and I had always held out hope that Rusmilitary would get them back in stock at some point, but it just doesn't look like it will ever happen (or at least not happen for a good long while). I need at least two front latch sets for two Saiga-12C style conversions I have been wanting to do, and for hard to find parts I always order spares, so if you ever get any made ($75 sounds fair to me), I would definitely order at least four.

Edited by Frogfoot
  • 1 year later...

Did this ever happen? I would be down for a set.

AK-Builder.com has Saiga 12 front latches. They're not factory parts, but they're $55.00. I just ordered it myself along with some other parts on Friday. I think they still have 1 in stock at the moment.

saiga_front_latch.jpg