Trit,How do you like it? I built a bunch of AK's but i heard the 58's were pretty hard to assemble being there milled and dont take AK parts.Anything milled is out of my league of building.

They're not hard to assemble at all. The thing that has kept folks from building them is that the only game in town has been Ohio Ordnance Works who sell a receiver and compliance parts for $700.

Now that Cz-USA and Century are importing the various rifles, the price on receivers and compliance parts should drop.

Trit,How do you like it? I built a bunch of AK's but i heard the 58's were pretty hard to assemble being there milled and dont take AK parts.Anything milled is out of my league of building.

The receiver needs to be machined to open it up for the double stack mags. Otherwise they aren't too bad to do. Used the original military paint which is on the expensive side. It shoots very well. I had help from an 07 FFL.

Ya'll keep in mind that there are a few options nowadays.

Only the low-cap receiver from Czechoslovakia needs machining (and you'd still need to find compliance parts).

The OOW and Cz-USA offerings are high-cap ready.

True. The one I have was built from scratch with the Slovak receiver and some compliance parts.

I have looked at this rifle after noticing how inexpensive the kits where but DANG DAD BURN IT #$%%(#@@$!!! those receivers are expensive.

Didn't know it was inspired more by the stormgewehr 44 which definitely adds more appeal to me. I like that it was born in 1958 just like me.

Tritium is the gun more accurate than most AKs? If I wanted get one could I rationalize it as a competitor to the higher end more accurate AKs like a Valmet?

Do you think it would be stupid to buy one of their kits and dummy receiver in the hope that either someone comes out with a cheaper receiver or I get a steal deal.

VZ-58 folder kit

Is the dustcover solid enough to mount optics on it?

Edited by rocinante
I have looked at this rifle after noticing how inexpensive the kits where but DANG DAD BURN IT #$%%(#@@$!!! those receivers are expensive.

Didn't know it was inspired more by the stormgewehr 44 which definitely adds more appeal to me. I like that it was born in 1958 just like me.

Tritium is the gun more accurate than most AKs? If I wanted get one could I rationalize it as a competitor to the higher end more accurate AKs like a Valmet?

Do you think it would be stupid to buy one of their kits and dummy receiver in the hope that either someone comes out with a cheaper receiver or I get a steal deal.

VZ-58 folder kit

The MSRP on the CZ-USA rifles is $970. Guy on AKForum bought one for under $800. I have been waiting for something like this to happen for a long time. The rifle is excellent (the Czechs are master weaponsmiths), but I didn't see paying OOW $1200 for a reverse engineered copy of one just because they're the only game in town.

I'm gonna be selling a lot of my AKs (and other toys) and getting one of these. They are superior to the AK in many ways.

More info from the Canadians: http://www.marstar.ca/gf-VZ-58L/index.shtm

More info from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa_58

They make a scope mount that replaces the rear sight leaf. The dust cover doesn't have any place to put a scope mount (it'd interfer with the workings) unless you welded it on :eek:

VZ-58 folder kit

The VZ is more accurate than an AK as the mechanism and construction is entirely different. It is lighter than an AK. Guess you could consider it a high-end competitor. As this firearm beomes more popular here I'd think the prices will come down somewhat. The parts kits are cheap and it would never hurt to have one on the shelf.

This firearm wasn't really designed for a scope to be mounted on the receiver cover and I wouldn't recommend it. Some of the originals were used with a night vision scope (and the cone flash hider) but I believe it was side or otherwise differently mounted.

Edited by tritium
silly question but where does the VZ-58 eject spent casings? Would it be lefty friendly for a bullpup throwing casings more up and forward?

Just spits 'em out normally far as I recall. Not particularly lefty friendly but I know lefties who use them.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't suppose a modification is possible to use AK mags. Has anyone asked this question and found a definitive answer?

BattlerifleG3, the Vz58 mags have an unusual geometry to allow for the BHO. They are aluminum, and they lock up inside the mag well of of the Vz58. While I'm sure that an AK mag could be made to work, I rather suspect it'd be a one-off project (give Bubba a dremel tool, and he can make anything fit). I doubt Bubba could get the BHO to work, though.

AK mag on the bottom & right, Vz58 mag on the top & left.

vz58_918.JPG

You can see the unilateral mag latch on the Vz58 mag.

vz58_919.JPG

In the following 3 pix, you can see the BHO plunger and channel.

vz58_921.JPG

vz58_922.JPG

vz58_923.JPG

The front locking nubs. Note the Vz58 mag follower rides a lot higher in comparison to the AK mag.

vz58_924.JPG

I just got the Centerfire Systems catalog and they're selling VZ-58 kits for $49. Receivers are more expensive and I don't know where to look for US compliance parts. It's too bad the Czechs didn't make their magazines compatible with the AK mags but Centerfire has VZ-58 magazines .