Can you adjust the front sight right-left without the tool?

I have never seen a front sight so "stuck"as my front sight is for windage.

I got the elevation perfect, but I can't budge the sight base to get the windage lined up.

I ordered one of the tools (looks like a square sided C-clamp) but I can't imagine a soldier not being able to

set his sights?

Has anyone changed the windage (right -left) on the sight without the tool?

louielouie

Edited by louielouie

Bro common, you are going to adjust windage with a hammer and a punch. No wonder

the guns shoot all over. There goes the crap again of hammers , you can move

the sight that way, but to adjust the sight use the tool to get it were you want, that is why they made the tool

in the first place.

And no soldiers don't go adjusting windage with hammers and punches or just hammers.

well, my AK shoots dead straight, and thats how I adjusted it, as well as a couple of other guy's. I didnt say pound the living shit out of it....

I suppose on a saiga with the painted finish on it, you could use anything to drive it over, so long as you protect the paint from the blows......

I had a Chinese and one Romanian that broke the sight adjusting tool.

Now I move it with a hammer and punch, heat it up with a hair dryer, put Kroil on it and let it set over night.

If it doesn't move with the tool, out comes the hammer, punch, and a caliper.

Smack it and measure, smack it and measure.

You'll get it sooner or later.

vjor :wub: answers man. LOL

the tool is definately the better way to go, thats no doubt, but what do you do when you dont have one?

You buy one.

Or you make one out of a socket, a bolt, and a C clamp.

Edited by Cobra 76 two

Like I said, nothing wrong with breaking it loose with a hammer. It's just easier to use the tool once you have it loosened up some.

Those old BAM POS sight tools are made of cheap steel and will bend easily and get off center where they won't work. I've broken them too. There are better ones out now.

Another thing is to be damned sure you have the hole on the opposite side lined up with the barrel in the sight or you are just cranking down on it and squeezing it till you screw up the sight tool.

I have adjusted my SigSauer at the range with a brass punch and hammer, and I paid well over $500 for the pistol.

Most sights that can be adjusted by "drifting" (what a pretty sounding word for hitting) the sight, will have a brass punch and hammer used. Even a gunsmith will drift sights the old fashioned way.

AHA!!

I pulled out the "service manual" I received with my 7.62 Sagia and on page 27 it says "To move the front sight base , knock it slightly with a hammer or use a special attachment."

There you go, it couldn't be clearer than that.

louielouie :haha::rolleyes::haha:

Guys do as you please, one thing, in this place few new guys know how to read a caliper

don't tell people to use a hammer or they just bang on things, by the way just because your move

the sight with a punch and a hammer on your pistol don't mean you have it on the money

but hey, who am I to tell any one how to do stuff. Is your guns not mine.

And yes I Soldier for almost 2 years on the jungles of Central America

and no we don't carry no hammers or punches to move sights

usually the armory did that, and yes the AK beats a lots of other guns

on the field specially when you are on the receiving end of the barrel.

Edited by vjor
the tool is definately the better way to go, thats no doubt, but what do you do when you dont have one?

You buy one.

Or you make one out of a socket, a bolt, and a C clamp.

Cobra 76,

I was trying to use a c-clamp and socket on one side of the sight base. I couldn't come up with something to use on the opposite side of the base/clamp.

How did your's work?

louielouie

Guys do as you please, one thing, in this place few new guys know how to read a caliper

don't tell people to use a hammer or they just bang on things, by the way just because your move

the sight with a punch and a hammer on your pistol don't mean you have it on the money

Vjor,

I have been reading a caliper ever since I started reloading (over 20 years ago). I have never used it to set my sights. I used to set all my sights at the range based on where my groups were hitting. I fired 3-5 rounds and then moved sights a little, fired another 3-5 rounds and so on, until I had my point of impact the same as my point of aim.

Now I have a laser boresighter and I can set my sights at home without firing a shot. The laser is showing my point of impact is about 6 inches to the right at 20 yards on my Saiga. I know I need to move the front sight to the right, and here is where I can't do anything.

I agree with you that the AK47 is more gun for the money, but I don't have an armory to set my sights. I am the armory.

louielouie

the sight will move a LOT easier if you crank the front sight post out a ways first, btw.

By the time I read your posting I had already used the tool.

The only problem I had was the opening in the tool opposite the adjusting bolt. It was really close to the size of the base. The base got stuck on the adjusting tool opening.

I tried putting the tool opening on the end of the base and then turning it in circles (while on the base). Pretty quickly the tool removed the small amount of paint and was free to work as it should.

I was suprised at the amount of force it took to move the base. As soon as it started to bind, I released and started again. After 3 tries I got the base moved and the sights were lined up with my boresighter.

Now I need a range trip.

louielouie

Now I need a range trip.

louielouie

I just got back from the range

WOW, my Saiga is shooting where I am aiming and I am getting 3-4 inch groups at 50 yards without any kind of support (I think it is called "free hand"). I was shooting Silver Bear. I have found the Silver Bear to be my favorite of all the Communist imported 7.62.

I know the rifle is capable of a lot better than that so the next time out I will bring my bench rest and get some really good ammo.

I am very surprised that my adjustment of the front sight was right the first time. It is shooting point of aim to point of impact , and it doesn't get any better than that.

louielouie :):super::up:

Vjor,

I have been reading a caliper ever since I started reloading (over 20 years ago). I have never used it to set my sights. I used to set all my sights at the range based on where my groups were hitting. I fired 3-5 rounds and then moved sights a little, fired another 3-5 rounds and so on, until I had my point of impact the same as my point of aim.

Now I have a laser boresighter and I can set my sights at home without firing a shot. The laser is showing my point of impact is about 6 inches to the right at 20 yards on my Saiga. I know I need to move the front sight to the right, and here is where I can't do anything.

I agree with you that the AK47 is more gun for the money, but I don't have an armory to set my sights. I am the armory.

louielouie

I was not referring to you about the calipers reading just that a lot of people

read this posts and some don't have a clue and will miss understood

and fubar there stuff, any congrats on the shooting and yes the guns

can do good if you have a rest or rice, sand bags you can really tune that gun.

Another happy day at the range I see :D just like fishing the worst day at the range

is better that the best day at work.