.410 slug ballistics?? scope???

there's no question about it...a PSOP scope on the AK platform looks sexy.....

will I get laughed at by the pros for putting one on a .410???

which one should I get...the 170$$ one?? I think that's the cheapest...

what kind of groups can I expect at 50yrds? 100????

so for home defense...I have the #4 shot coming from SG....as well as some slugs......

what should I get for ammo fellas??

Okay, I'll tell you what I know on your ammunition question. First off does your Saiga-410 have an adjustable gas system with two settings for magnum and light shells? If so do you have mags for both 3" (the one the gun usually comes with) and 2-1/2" shells? Yes, you will need a seperate clip to use the shorter shells. If your gun does not have an adjustable gas system --- tough luck you can only use the 3" magnum shells:

For Shot Loads:

~The Remington Brand 3" magnum 11/16oz. shells with green colored plastic hulls pattern very well through the Saiga interchangable chokes. They come in shot sizes #4, #6, and #7.5 Choose shot size depending on what kind of game your going to use them on.

~The Winchester Brand 2-1/2" High Velocity (1,350 fps.) 1/2oz. loads with red colored plastic hulls work exceptionally well in the Saiga-410. They seem to be a lot hotter load then most 2-1/2" shells and cycle the action real well. I find them at the local Walmart and they come in a white box with red lettering. Twenty-five shells per box.

~Estates brand premium 3 inch 11/16oz. hunting loads pattern incredibly tight due to their unique construction. They have a full length wad inside and are roll crimped, full length wads in 410ga. 3 inch shells are not the norm -- nor is roll crimped shot loads. This load is for longer range game work with the full choke. You should carefully aim with the rifle sights (or scope) and will find it incredibaly lethal way beyond the working range of the other loads.

For Slug Loads:

~The brenneke 3" magnum slug for the 410ga. is the most accurate and most powerful hunting slug load available for the 410ga. It is the best factory slug load --- period. It is, however, the most expensive at well over a $1 a shot.

~The Russian made "Silver Bear", "Golden Bear", "Barnaul", etc. full length metal hull sabot slugs are very cheap and very good. They are advertised as being 2-3/4" shells. Pay this no mind they work just fine in a gun and clip set up for 3" shells.

~Of the big three U.S. ammo makers only Winchester offers a 3" slug load. All the manufactures offer a 2-1/2" slug load. The Remington slugs are the most accurate but also the least powerful. The Federals are the least accurate but have the power of a 3" magnum shell packed into a 2-1/2" shell. The Winchesters are fairly accurate and the 3" mag does have good power.

~For more specific information about 410 slugs go to this thread and use the links in the first post == Some Good 410 Slug Information, Cut Opens / Ballistics / Terminal Performance / Hunting

For Buckshot Loads:

~The Winchester five OOO buck balls 3" magnum load is very inaccurate and sprays the balls everywhere. For close quarters just point the gun in the general direction it will work well but don't use it for hunting.

~The S&B five OO buck balls 3" magnum load has good accuracy and power with a nice tight pattern.

~The three buck balls 2-1/2" loads by both Winchester and S&B are good but not as powerful as the S&B 3" magnum load.

Edited by turbo1889

Th-Thanks Turrrbooo man!!!!!!

Okay, I'll tell you what I know on your ammunition question. First off does your Saiga-410 have an adjustable gas system with two settings for magnum and light shells? If so do you have mags for both 3" (the one the gun usually comes with) and 2-1/2" shells? Yes, you will need a seperate clip to use the shorter shells. If your gun does not have an adjustable gas system --- tough luck you can only use the 3" magnum shells:

For Shot Loads:

~The Remington Brand 3" magnum 11/16oz. shells with green colored plastic hulls pattern very well through the Saiga interchangable chokes. They come in shot sizes #4, #6, and #7.5 Choose shot size depending on what kind of game your going to use them on.

~The Winchester Brand 2-1/2" High Velocity (1,350 fps.) 1/2oz. loads with red colored plastic hulls work exceptionally well in the Saiga-410. They seem to be a lot hotter load then most 2-1/2" shells and cycle the action real well. I find them at the local Walmart and they come in a white box with red lettering. Twenty-five shells per box.

~Estates brand premium 3 inch 11/16oz. hunting loads pattern incredibly tight due to their unique construction. They have a full length wad inside and are roll crimped, full length wads in 410ga. 3 inch shells are not the norm -- nor is roll crimped shot loads. This load is for longer range game work with the full choke. You should carefully aim with the rifle sights (or scope) and will find it incredibaly lethal way beyond the working range of the other loads.

For Slug Loads:

~The brenneke 3" magnum slug for the 410ga. is the most accurate and most powerful hunting slug load available for the 410ga. It is the best factory slug load --- period. It is, however, the most expensive at well over a $1 a shot.

~The Russian made "Silver Bear", "Golden Bear", "Barnaul", etc. full length metal hull sabot slugs are very cheap and very good. They are advertised as being 2-3/4" shells. Pay this no mind they work just fine in a gun and clip set up for 3" shells.

~Of the big three U.S. ammo makers only Winchester offers a 3" slug load. All the manufactures offer a 2-1/2" slug load. The Remington slugs are the most accurate but also the least powerful. The Federals are the least accurate but have the power of a 3" magnum shell packed into a 2-1/2" shell. The Winchesters are fairly accurate and the 3" mag does have good power.

~For more specific information about 410 slugs go to this thread and use the links in the first post == Some Good 410 Slug Information, Cut Opens / Ballistics / Terminal Performance / Hunting

For Buckshot Loads:

~The Winchester five OOO buck balls 3" magnum load is very inaccurate and sprays the balls everywhere. For close quarters just point the gun in the general direction it will work well but don't use it for hunting.

~The S&B five OO buck balls 3" magnum load has good accuracy and power with a nice tight pattern.

~The three buck balls 2-1/2" loads by both Winchester and S&B are good but not as powerful as the S&B 3" magnum load.

will I get laughed at by the pros for putting one on a .410???

No, but people will think you have lost your fucking mind. I say that in only the nicest way possible. The only slug gun that needs a scope is one with a rifled barrel. AKA over 50 yard shots and wanting ethical one shot kills.

If you want an optic, put a zero power red dot of some kind on it. The lethal range of a .410 is really 50 yards with a slug, less with buck. Your target will likely be moving, at least it will be after the first shot. A scope will just work against you. Red dot gives you pin point accuracy and good FOV inside your effective ranges. I have a Tasco PDP I put on mine for anyone that wants a soft shooting deer gun inside 50 yards.

I have 30 years of shotgun slug experience, 25 with the rifled barrels. 50 yards and in no optic is needed on any gauge with Foster slugs if you just practice. The .410 slug shoots fairly flat and kills to 50 yards. Spend your money on mags and practice ammo. Lord help us if they make a .410 drum. Then this becomes a .41 caliber assault weapon!

Sorry if I pissed on your parade, just don't waste your money on accomplishing nothing of real value. Then again, who am I to talk, BTDT too, had fun doing it and plenty of spare parts to prove it.

Edited by Zoub
Night vision scope on a S-.410. WITH 20 round drum?

Momma , Daddy may just have to get one of his own!

Raccon's rats and other sneaky assed night vermin just became FUN!

20 my ass, if a drum holds 20 of the 12's now, it damn well better hold at least 30 of the 410's!

You gotta learn to think big man.