.223 brake?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.facsupplystore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZA1576

There G3 muzzle brake, they are made for the 7.62 x 51 caliber, I dont know how good

will work on the .223 apart from that costume work or ask rick16

http://ricksmuzzlebrakesandgunstuff.com/index.htm

or call this guys http://www.shop.preciseinnovationsllc.com/...n%20Accessories

they will thread there brakes to any size or Dinzag http://www.dinzagarms.com/index.html

see if he has any brakes on 15 x 1 or custom any for you.

http://www.facsupplystore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZA1576

there G3 muzzle brake, they are made for the 7.62 x 51 caliber, I dont know how good

will work on the .223 apart from that costume work or ask rick16

http://ricksmuzzlebrakesandgunstuff.com/index.htm he cam make something on 15 x 1

or call this guys http://www.shop.preciseinnovationsllc.com/...n%20Accessories

they will thread there brakes to any size or Dinzag http://www.dinzagarms.com/index.html

see if he has any brakes on 15 x 1 or custom any for you.

thanks guys for the replies. I did install a 7.62 brake on my .223 through dinzag, but I am looking for something more effective. I will probably call up one of those companies listed and see if they can do anything. As an aside, I participated in a carbine comp last weekend. Some of the AR guys let me shoot their guns, and wow, they had virtually no recoil or muzzle rise. IT was rediculous. They had brakes from JP enterprises & triangle shooting sports.

Some of the AR guys let me shoot their guns, and wow, they had virtually no recoil or muzzle rise. IT was rediculous. They had brakes from JP enterprises & triangle shooting sports.

Call Triangle Shooting Sports. Benny Hill could probably make one fit on your barrel one way or another.

Some of the AR guys let me shoot their guns, and wow, they had virtually no recoil or muzzle rise. IT was rediculous. They had brakes from JP enterprises & triangle shooting sports.

I've bought & used JP brakes (and brakes from other sources as well). What you don't mention is the muzzle blast. Quite honestly, you can can go stone-cold-deaf with one shot, if you forget your hearing protection. I kid you not! That's why I don't have an AK-74-type brake on my Saiga anymore.

If there is a chance you might be using your rifle for self-defense, do NOT mount a brake. Are you going to ask the perp to please wait while you find your muffs? And would you even want to wear muffs or ear plugs in a life-or-death situation? Frankly, unless you're going full-auto, or participating in some pretty serious competition, you won't want a brake on a .223 anyway. After all, it ain't a .375 H&H, and even if it was, your grandad (& mine) would have handled it just fine without any friggin' muzzle brake.

Just my (hearing-impared-from-shooting-too-many-rifles-with-brakes) opinion...

;>)

thanks guys for the replies. I did install a 7.62 brake on my .223 through dinzag, but I am looking for something more effective. I will probably call up one of those companies listed and see if they can do anything. As an aside, I participated in a carbine comp last weekend. Some of the AR guys let me shoot their guns, and wow, they had virtually no recoil or muzzle rise. IT was rediculous. They had brakes from JP enterprises & triangle shooting sports.

Bro if you have that kind of dove, yes JP brakes are good to go, and yes your gun will be loud

as loud can be, bad bob is right you can get deaf but at the same time almost zero recoil and muzzle

rise is nice too and use ear protection all the time.

All my guns have some kind of brake on them and in life or death situation the least

thing in your mind is how loud your gun is, believe me even a .380 pistol sounds

like a canon in close spaces but when the shit hits the fence the list thing in your mind

is the noise, to the point that you don't even notice it, why! because you are going to be

more involve on the situation on hand than worried about how loud is your gun, by the way

you probably will be hearing your heart as it pumps than anything else and like

5 second of adrenaline rush after that everything goes quiet must of the time,

apart from wife and kids crying scare from shit that just happen and you

thinking on all the crap that just happen.

Apart from that, in open area, must of the people will suffer from the whip of the brake

but not much on the shooter, one of my .223 with a WZ 88 style brake, whip the crap out of the person

next to you as you shoot, but nothing on the shooter, I was standing next to one of the guys

using my gun and was like when some one hit a fiver glass stick on a board

a loud whip that you really felted even with ear protection, but for the shooter was

no problems at all, on a tank style brake you will feel the wave of sound

on the sides, same with the ak74 style brake not as bad as the WZ 88 high pitch

whip.

Bro just pick what you can afford and what you think is right for you

and over size brakes don't work to good if you going for the real McCoy

make sure you get something for the .223, one made for.308

will don't get what you want, you will loose must of the brake

effectiveness with out gaining much on recoil reduction or muzzle rise

just a lot more noise.

But if you serious about reduction on muzzle rise and recoil, go JP, ak74 style

but for 5.54 x 39 that will work on .223 krebs used to have some, and can make a bushing

for it 15 x 1 x 24 mm for the brake or check the links I post before look

on rick16 his style http://www.brakes.ricksmuzzlebrakesandguns...ort_Brake-2.JPG

see if he can make you one for you rifle with and opening for the .223 in the end

on .40 over bullet diameter and you probably will be set with 15 x 1 threads.

All my guns have some kind of brake on them and in life or death situation the least

thing in your mind is how loud your gun is, believe me even a .380 pistol sounds

like a canon in close spaces...

Hey, Compadre!

In "close spaces" you don't need a brake anyway (unless maybe you're going cyclic) - and in the 'wide open spaces' (where you won't go deaf, UNLESS you have a brake) being able to hear something is still sometimes useful. Bottom line, most folks don't really need a brake on a semi-auto .223 the weight of a Saiga.

Once again, just my opinion. Feel free to fold, spindle, & mutilate as desired...

;>)

like a canon in close spaces...

Hey, Compadre!

In "close spaces" you don't need a brake anyway (unless maybe you're going cyclic) - and in the 'wide open spaces' (where you won't go deaf, UNLESS you have a brake) being able to hear something is still sometimes useful. Bottom line, most folks don't really need a brake on a semi-auto .223 the weight of a Saiga.

Once again, just my opinion. Feel free to fold, spindle, & mutilate as desired...

;>)

Common Bob, no fold, spindle and mutilation, you are a good guy on my list bro, and yes you are right

the brakes can let you deaf if U use it a lot with out ear protection of some kind. Just saying that

in close quarters and when shit hits the fence the least of your problems is the noise, but again

anything that goes boom can let you deaf if you don't use ear protection and please don't try to

go boon inside a room or any close quarter with anything unless you have too with out any ear protection,

you ears will thank you a lot if U use ear protection any time U go boom with anything.

That goes for open spaces too, about Boom and loud brakes and guns.

Edited by vjor
I can sell you a Tromix shark brake threaded 15x1 R/H or 15x 1 L/H. $85 shipped.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

www.tromix.com

That is pretty good price for a good brake, with treads make for your gun

and including shipping.

Hey Tony same price on brake if no points on the end, baffle on the end .40 over .223

bullet diameter, Thread 14x1 LH 2 of the cuts on the front have to match, plus 2 flats sides

on the back to provide for wrench install and take out.

post-640-1194198622_thumb.jpg

Edited by vjor
The TROMIX Rifle Shark Brake looks like this,..........and works like a champ on rise and recoil !!

(also good for those straight-back hair styles...........)

post-3950-1194197280_thumb.jpg

Oh crap! It's the Secretary of Defense from Transformers! :haha:

Acer

I can sell you a Tromix shark brake threaded 15x1 R/H or 15x 1 L/H. $85 shipped.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

www.tromix.com

That is pretty good price for a good brake, with treads make for your gun

and including shipping.

Hey Tony same price on brake if no points on the end, baffle on the end .40 over .223

bullet diameter, Thread 14x1 LH 2 of the cuts on the front have to match, plus 2 flats sides

on the back to provide for wrench install and take out.

post-640-1194198622_thumb.jpg

Damn I should watch when I type, bullet hold on brake should be over .020 to .040 over bullet diameter.

does anyone know of a .223 brake that will fit this thing? I have already threaded the barrel for 15x1. IF there is nothing available, who can make a custom one?

If you really want a brake for your .223, I say get the DNTC from Primary Weapons, then send it to Dinzag and have him thread it for your 15x1 thread (it comes from the factory 1/2x28 thread).

DNTC_L_1.jpg

Edited by RedFalconBill

The F2 from www.dreadnaught-industries.com is a heck of an effective brake. Lots of top shooters (and folks downrange) using them these days. Never made one in Ruskie threads, though...might be easier to have your rifle re-threaded so you can drink from the fire hose supply of pretty good brakes out there and not be limited to just one or two.

Alex

vjor -- Apparently like you, I didn't really care for the door-breaching sharp edges of Tony's design.... I mean, what I should truthfully say is: I REALLY LIKE THE BAD-ASS LOOK of the door breacher.... just NOT on my own shotgun. Capiche? (< Not directed to you, but to anyone that would argue my point.)

With that being the case, I contacted Tony recently and he agreed to sell me a "modified" S-12 Shark Brake. He simply machined-off the sharp points. Attached immediately below are .jpg images of that shark brake which I am hugely happy with (although.... naturally, it would be nice if I had a S-12 to attach at the other end of it! :lolol:)

[The two white-looking knarly hairs are NOT cracks or any such thing on the brake.... they are dog hairs that were on my camera's lens.]

post-4853-1194719587_thumb.jpg

post-4853-1194719599_thumb.jpg

vjor -- Apparently like you, I didn't really care for the door-breaching sharp edges of Tony's design.... I mean, what I should truthfully say is: I REALLY LIKE THE BAD-ASS LOOK of the door breacher.... just NOT on my own shotgun. Capiche? (< Not directed to you, but to anyone that would argue my point.)

With that being the case, I contacted Tony recently and he agreed to sell me a "modified" S-12 Shark Brake. He simply machined-off the sharp points. Attached immediately below are .jpg images of that shark brake which I am hugely happy with (although.... naturally, it would be nice if I had a S-12 to attach at the other end of it! :lolol:)

[The two white-looking knarly hairs are NOT cracks or any such thing on the brake.... they are dog hairs that were on my camera's lens.]

Thanks Gary, but I went with a brake from JAMMER from E-TAC, like the one for the

.308 but made for the .223 I call him yesterday and talk to the man, nice guy

and nice to talk to him, plus the measures we talk about the brake is like music

I wanted to hear.

Hey I was thinking on a brake from www.dreadnaught-industries.com like wakal says or this one

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...2C+MUZZLE+BRAKE

but I saw the brake that JAMMER made for the .308 and well, I give him a call to see whats

cooking and order the brake, see is hard to get something right on the money

like .020 not over .040 over bullet diameter plus thickness of baffles no more than .25 on exit hole dept

plus the chambers have to be certain size, is true have to compromise the size of chamber for looks

of brake, really the JP recoil eliminator is really good but damn is huge on and ak type rifle

plus like I say before, the man told me sises on brake and damn it was like on the money

of what I wanted.

Thank again man and thanks for the pics, and like you I dont like pointy things in the end of my guns

or at list too pointy but that is just my preference.

Just my 2 cents worth of nothing.

Edited by vjor

Gary, have you tried that brake yet? how loud is it from the shooter's perspective?

Remember guys, the pics in Vjor and Gary's posts are for the shotgun brake; the rifle brake Tony is talking about is the hex-shaped one as in JeauxE's post. You can get them without breaching points. Yes it's a very effective brake.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone wanting a nice American-made 5.56 brake, ArmaLite just had their 2 port 'recoil checks' (as they call their muzzle brakes) on sale for $13.50 (regular price $30). I ordered one for my AR, just in case the Democrats pass another 'assault weapons ban.' It would also fit any Saiga threaded 1/2x28RH (like mine ;>). ArmaLite is a fantastic company to do business with, and their web site has some stupendous sale prices from time to time (a word to the wise, based on many happy experiences ;>)...

The TROMIX Rifle Shark Brake looks like this,..........and works like a champ on rise and recoil !!

(also good for those straight-back hair styles...........)

post-3950-1194197280_thumb.jpg

+1 Joe!

Got one on my .223 and it works great.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with Bad Bob here.

You do not need a brake on a 223 unless you are going full auto or you simply want a louder weapon.

Why take a chance at messing up a perfectly functional firearm?

Like so many "Saiga Mods" here I think it is 95% cosmetic i.e. it makes my rifle look "kewl" or "badass".

Personally, I am a firm believer in if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

If anything, you will probably change the POI and maybe even decrease it's accuracy by threading and adding one.

Same thing goes for Flash Hiders. They do not "hide your flash" , they are designed simply to lessen the blinding of the shooter in darkness. Both FHs and Brakes will change your POI so you will have to re-sight in your once perfectly sighted in rifles if you add one of these and then pray that it's accuracy has not been affected.

Just food for thought.

Edited by GonzoX
  • 4 weeks later...

Some of these guys are saying that the addition of a brake will decrease accuracy. (i'm not arguing, I'm asking a question.) If so, why are there Muzzle brakes and flash hiders on rifles like the Dragunov and Most walther sniper rifles? In fact, almost any semi-auto sniper rifle I've ever seen has had a Muzzle device of some sort on it. They either know some sort of trick to make it not effect their accuracy or something, because I highly doubt that an efficient sniper would purposely hinder his own ability to make a kill.

As for mine, I have a short barrel .223 Saiga and I absolutely love how they look with the added barrel length of a brake on there. So I am getting one regardless. I mean, I'm not a champion target shooter, and I don't plan on shooting anything outside of 250-300 yards anyway. So my question now is, does anyone know of a pin-on style brake that will fit the Saiga? I'm not quite ready to permanently modify my weapon, so threading the barrel is out of the question. I know that Dinzag makes good brakes that pin-on, but right now he is backlogged with orders and I am quite the impatient fellow. I do plan to order one of his in the future, to support one of our own, but for right now i was just wondering what is out there that will hug the muzzle of our fabulous firearms.

Some of these guys are saying that the addition of a brake will decrease accuracy. (i'm not arguing, I'm asking a question.) If so, why are there Muzzle brakes and flash hiders on rifles like the Dragunov and Most walther sniper rifles? In fact, almost any semi-auto sniper rifle I've ever seen has had a Muzzle device of some sort on it. They either know some sort of trick to make it not effect their accuracy or something, because I highly doubt that an efficient sniper would purposely hinder his own ability to make a kill.

A lot of the folks here thread their own barrels for muzzle attachments. Doing it yourself can be inexpensive and satisfying, but I don't think anyone is claiming the finished product is as precise as having a barrel threaded by a professional gunsmith, using a lathe. Case in point: if you are going to be using a 'screw-on' sound supressor, the recommendation I have seen is that the barrel must be threaded professionally. I might also guess that a brake that is not precisely manufactured could affect accuracy. Bottom line, being 'just a little off' probably won't affect your average AK, but it could definitely cause problems for a suppressed rifle, or a sniper rifle.

;>)