.223 brake?

Some of these guys are saying that the addition of a brake will decrease accuracy. (i'm not arguing, I'm asking a question.) If so, why are there Muzzle brakes and flash hiders on rifles like the Dragunov and Most walther sniper rifles? In fact, almost any semi-auto sniper rifle I've ever seen has had a Muzzle device of some sort on it. They either know some sort of trick to make it not effect their accuracy or something, because I highly doubt that an efficient sniper would purposely hinder his own ability to make a kill.

As for mine, I have a short barrel .223 Saiga and I absolutely love how they look with the added barrel length of a brake on there. So I am getting one regardless. I mean, I'm not a champion target shooter, and I don't plan on shooting anything outside of 250-300 yards anyway. So my question now is, does anyone know of a pin-on style brake that will fit the Saiga? I'm not quite ready to permanently modify my weapon, so threading the barrel is out of the question. I know that Dinzag makes good brakes that pin-on, but right now he is backlogged with orders and I am quite the impatient fellow. I do plan to order one of his in the future, to support one of our own, but for right now i was just wondering what is out there that will hug the muzzle of our fabulous firearms.

Dragunov, (or at least my PSL for example) has a flash hider. You need to understand that a real drag or military PSL is sighted in at the armory with the flash hider installed for that reason. Now your civilian version Saiga is sighted in without one. Anytime you either add or take away something from the end of your muzzle you are almost guaranteed to change your POI.

Also keep in mind that the more stuff you put on your barrel the more you increase the likelyhood of it affecting accuracey regardless of whether you re-adjusted your sights or not.

And why a flash hider on a military rifle? The answer should be obviouse. With a sniper weapon or designated marksman rifle you do not want the enemy to see where you are. A FH helps to conceal your possition. With a civilianized rifle this issue is moot.

Same issue goes with say AK74's which have a Brake/FH combo on the military versions of this rifle. The brake on it is desigend to keep the sight on target by reducing recoil under full auto fire. On a civilian rifle this is not really an issue unless you are one of the lucky few that have a FA weapon.

Many of the evil features that so many here like are simply for looks and nothing else. For example. On almost all modern military rifles you have the pistol grip configuration. Why? Because in combat it is good to have the ability to fire with one hand while retreating or pulling a wounded buddy to safety. A pistol grip make this option possible.

All these "evil" features (anti's description, not mine) are there because they serve a purpose in combat and / or full auto weapons.

On a civilian rifle they are mostly just a fashion statement. Everybody loves that evil look. Hell I do myself. That's why I have an AK and getting an AR soon. But I still think that it would be a bad idea to mess with the muzzle end of a Saiga. That's just my opinion and nothing more. And I hope that it will not affect your accurancy. I just wanted to let people consider what I had to say before they did it.

Now with that said, if you have made up your mind to put a brake or FH on your Saiga then I would say do it right. A clamp on device would be the absolute worst way to go about doing it since it will flex and move during recoil. If you are dead set at puting on a device then put it on correctly and thead it.

I remember me trying to hand tap a new brake for my CETME. It did not fit right and it went downrange one day. The next week I had a machine shop align it correctly and thread it straight so there was no bullet impact etc. Lesson learned and I pass this on to others so they do not repeat my dumb and unsafe mistake.

Just food for thought.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would like to add a correction to my posting of sorts.

The main job of a flash hider is to help the shooter not be blinded by his own fire at night.

With that said, some of the more modern flash hiders do in fact reduce flash signature to the enemy to the point where there is more light coming from your ejection port than the muzzle.

A flash hider is a flash hider.

A muzzle brake, on the other hand, is designed to affect perceived recoil and associated muzzle movement through the use of redirected gas. While a casual plinker has no real interest in such a device, those who wish to shoot fast and accurately search nigh-endlessly for the better mousetrap :dollar:

JP Rifle's "Tank Brake" is probably the best of the breed, but is rather large and is only legal for "Open" style competition. The JP "Cooley" brake is effective, as is the Bang Inc. "Miculek" brake, Trainagle Shooting Sport's "Rolling Thunder," MTN, Tony's "Shark", and a few others. The Dreadnaught Industries "F2" seems to be the best of the 1" by 3" brakes (the largest allowed for Limited/Tactical type competition use), and is fielded by Benny Cooley's team and is in negotiation to be supplied with all Alexander Arms guns (including the Grendels) :)

Alex

A flash hider is a flash hider.

A muzzle brake, on the other hand, is designed to affect perceived recoil and associated muzzle movement through the use of redirected gas. While a casual plinker has no real interest in such a device, those who wish to shoot fast and accurately search nigh-endlessly for the better mousetrap :dollar:

JP Rifle's "Tank Brake" is probably the best of the breed, but is rather large and is only legal for "Open" style competition. The JP "Cooley" brake is effective, as is the Bang Inc. "Miculek" brake, Trainagle Shooting Sport's "Rolling Thunder," MTN, Tony's "Shark", and a few others. The Dreadnaught Industries "F2" seems to be the best of the 1" by 3" brakes (the largest allowed for Limited/Tactical type competition use), and is fielded by Benny Cooley's team and is in negotiation to be supplied with all Alexander Arms guns (including the Grendels) :)

Alex

Yup wakal is right, the holly quest for the zero rise, zero recoil.

So far here is a taste of a nice brake, still on the raw the gun and the brake, still waiting for a final

part to fully test test the beast and fully finish it.

img1212th5.jpg

Damn I don't supposed to post stuff, forgot I don't know crap about stuff.

Edited by vjor
Yep, that brake should do a fine job of keeping your barrel steady when you unleash the awsome recoil power of the 223Rem round.

When the game is to "unleash" rounds into a row of Classic targets at 300 yards, or hit a row of 10" plates at 340 yards, all on the the clock while competing against the world's best shooters, keeping your rifle still is of rather more importance than it is whilst randomly sending rounds downrange before posing for Myspace pictures :smoke:

:)

Alex

Yep, that brake should do a fine job of keeping your barrel steady when you unleash the awsome recoil power of the 223Rem round. ;)

Who the hell ever said that, bro?

AFAIK, nobody did.

Is this a case of low self esteem or what? :(

Bro first I was not directed to you at all, second about low self steam I don't thick so, well for some people

if want to know, some one send me a e-mail, with a copy of a e-mail send to him, saying how dare a speak

like my self cant even type, knows about guns. Well the person that send me the e-mail knows me

and well he was pist because that e-mail send to him, the person that send the fubar e-mail knows who he is.

Well I guess is some gringo out there that cant even take his gun apart to clean it

that thinks that becuase I cant type to good this second language I am stupid or lesser

than him.

Now about the power of the mighty .223 bro if you want to talk the talk, better walk the walk

and yes I can make a gun feel like a .22 no mater what caliber from .223 to .308

if I want it to be that way. But I can make a lot of stuff happen with a gun if you want to know.

And like wakal says, some times you need anything on God and the devils know how to

make things happen out there. But I guess you know better.

Edited by vjor
Yep, that brake should do a fine job of keeping your barrel steady when you unleash the awsome recoil power of the 223Rem round. ;)

Who the hell ever said that, bro?

AFAIK, nobody did.

Is this a case of low self esteem or what? :(

Bro first I was not directed to you at all, second about low self steam I don't thick so, well for some people

if want to know, some one send me a e-mail, with a copy of a e-mail send to him, saying how dare a speak

like my self cant even type, knows about guns. Well the person that send me the e-mail knows me

and well he was pist because that e-mail send to him, the person that send the fubar e-mail knows who he is.

Well I guess is some gringo out there that cant even take his gun apart to clean it

that thinks that becuase I cant type to good this second language I am stupid or lesser

than him.

Now about the power of the mighty .223 bro if you want to talk the talk, better walk the walk

and yes I can make a gun feel like a .22 no mater what caliber from .223 to .308

if I want it to be that way. But I can make a lot of stuff happen with a gun if you want to know.

And like wakal says, some times you need anything on God and the devils know how to

make things happen out there. But I guess you know better.

And what talk and walk would that be exactly? Explain that.

You posted negatively about your own self. Not something you see every day, hence my comment and Bobash's.

Honestly, what did you expect? Seems to me that you were implying that somebody here insulted you and that was simply not the case.

Now if you do in fact have a beef with somebody sending you flame email then you should keep it email and keep it to yourself. No reasont to air your dirty laundry here. You can't expect to type something like that in a public forum and not expect a respense.

In all honesty I can't help but poke a little fun at people that think that a 223 rifle has too much recoil to control but that's just me. I can kida/sorta understand a competition but why with an AK? Makes me wonder. Now I doubt that more than 1% here shoot competitively. And if they do, I bet most of them use ARs, not AKs. And I bet most of those competition ARs have free floating bull barrels with nothing attached to them at all.

I think maybe you guys need to come over and shoot 308 bolt action to feel real recoil.

To Wakal, I would like to see your myspace pictures of you shooting your 223 AK at 300 yards and winning awards for it etc. Do you have a link?

Edited by GonzoX

gonzoX to all your talk , you haven't show that you can make anything at all ( no AR15, no AK , no FAL, No HK clones) :D

just talk and more talk, that's all, like those guys that know there guns

by reading guns and ammo. :D

No can do, I see, just more talk and more baloney, the question is that you talk to much

and noting to show, I have don't see you make anything at all, no conversions

even to minimals or get down and make something worthy but I guess it will don't happen

you like those guys that buy stuff but cant do any rework on guns at all, all guns and ammo talk.

And bro AK's are not the only guns that I have re worked LOL.

To much diaria of the mouth and nothing to show for, or you going to surprise as

and come out with some wild out gun some day that you built or rework to make it better?

dont think soo. :)

Edited by vjor

I don't "do" myspace, nor do I go to the range in my Neon with the ground effects and four foot "spoiler" to "busta box a ammo" from my "gat" before rollin' home to play some X-box in my parent's basement :rolleyes:

I am, however, happy to chat about guns and both try to learn something new and to share some of the knowledge learned from my mispent years working in and around gun shops, sending hundreds of thousands of rounds downrange, years of training and practice, and more shooting competitions than I can easily remember. While my game was off at last year's USPSA 3-Gun nationals (where the shooting situation I mentioned earlier was referenced), I did finish as #16 in the nation. I've won military pistol and sniper rifle matches in Europe, placed rather highly in the Hawaii state rifle championships a while back, and have since either won or placed highly at matches across the US. I'm a Master class shooter, professional firearms trainer ("sit! stay!" :haha: ), and a licenced firearms manufacturer.

I don't know everything; hell, I don't know much. But I'm happy to share what I know and discuss what I don't.

The key is an open mind.

Not a mind full of "knowledge" gleened from losing at Counterstrike in your parent's basement in between shifts as fry cook at Burger King. :cryss:

More on topic: a brake (on any platform) makes insanely fast and accurate follow up shots very possible, and much easier than without one. A brake on a full auto gun makes keeping all rounds on target dead easy (the last F2 demo on 16" full auto M4 types had cops...cops, mind you, not serious shooters...dumping full mags into an 8" circle at 50 yards). A brake on a gun that isn't used for that sort of thing represents money better spent on something else.

Alex

Edited by Wakal
gonzoX to all your talk , you haven't show that you can make anything at all ( no AR15, no AK , no FAL, No HK clones) :D

just talk and more talk, that's all, like those guys that know there guns

by reading guns and ammo. :D

No can do, I see, just more talk and more baloney, the question is that you talk to much

and noting to show, I have don't see you make anything at all, no conversions

even to minimals or get down and make something worthy but I guess it will don't happen

you like those guys that buy stuff but cant do any rework on guns at all, all guns and ammo talk.

And bro AK's are not the only guns that I have re worked LOL.

To much diaria of the mouth and nothing to show for, or you going to surprise as

and come out with some wild out gun some day that you built or rework to make it better?

dont think soo. :)

Well I tell you what.

Show me what you know more about guns then me and I will shut up.

Ill wait...

Put up or shut up.

Edited by GonzoX
I don't "do" myspace, nor do I go to the range in my Neon with the ground effects and four foot "spoiler" to "busta box a ammo" from my "gat" before rollin' home to play some X-box in my parent's basement :rolleyes:

I am, however, happy to chat about guns and both try to learn something new and to share some of the knowledge learned from my mispent years working in and around gun shops, sending hundreds of thousands of rounds downrange, years of training and practice, and more shooting competitions than I can easily remember. While my game was off at last year's USPSA 3-Gun nationals (where the shooting situation I mentioned earlier was referenced), I did finish as #16 in the nation. I've won military pistol and sniper rifle matches in Europe, placed rather highly in the Hawaii state rifle championships a while back, and have since either won or placed highly at matches across the US. I'm a Master class shooter, professional firearms trainer ("sit! stay!" :haha: ), and a licenced firearms manufacturer.

I don't know everything; hell, I don't know much. But I'm happy to share what I know and discuss what I don't.

The key is an open mind.

Not a mind full of "knowledge" gleened from losing at Counterstrike in your parent's basement in between shifts as fry cook at Burger King. :cryss:

More on topic: a brake (on any platform) makes insanely fast and accurate follow up shots very possible, and much easier than without one. A brake on a full auto gun makes keeping all rounds on target dead easy (the last F2 demo on 16" full auto M4 types had cops...cops, mind you, not serious shooters...dumping full mags into an 8" circle at 50 yards). A brake on a gun that isn't used for that sort of thing represents money better spent on something else.

Alex

Well you talk shit and then you dont back it up. Typical.

Well alex, I will remind you that YOU ARE THE ONE that bragged about myspace and posting BS about winning awards for using an AK at 300m targets.

300 meter awards with a 223 AK???? Yeah right. Show me! Ill call your bluff, You are so full of shit your eyes are brown.

Nothing I hate more than a poser.

And a Poser that doesn't understand that a 223 doesn't need a break unless you are some weak ass poser that can't hold on to a poodle shooter.

Ill tell ya the same thing I told your buddy. Put up or shut up.

Any dumbass can tack a break on a 223 that doesn't need it.

It's simple. If you need a break on a 223 semi automatic rifle then you are a pussy. Simple as that.

I will raise the BS flag on you.

Edited by GonzoX

The key is an open mind.

Alex

Well alex, I will remind you that YOU ARE THE ONE that bragged about myspace and posting BS about winning awards for using an AK at 300m targets.

300 meter awards with a 223 AK???? Yeah right. Show me! Ill call your bluff, You are so full of shit your eyes are brown.

And a Poser that doesn't understand that a 223 doesn't need a break unless you are some weak ass poser that can't hold on to a poodle shooter.

LOL you are something bro, LOL , no knolage what so ever.

go back to your guns and Ammo or what ever you read.

ROTFLO.

Edited by vjor
LOL I don't know nothing LOL, but if I say something is because

I did it before I say what I say. Not because I read it on some magazine.

Maybe you should get a better command of the English language before you post.

You make absolutely no sense what-so-ever.

What fucking country are you from anyway. Seriously?

Edited by GonzoX

The key is an open mind.

Alex

LOL you are something bro, LOL , no knolage what so ever.

go back to your guns and Ammo or what ever you read.

ROTFLO.

Really?

Why dont you tell us about your 300m awards with an AK and how the 223 hurt your little pussy shoulder LOL.

And learn how to spell.

I guess our educational system has gone downhill these last 10 years?

It's like Im arguing with retards.

Edited by GonzoX
Rotflo, bro you make me lough, this is the best I have seen, in long time.

no more entertainment here. LOL

You have the same effect on me. Never laughed so hard at wannabe posers in my life.

I almost broke a rib with the AK at 300meter award thing.

I thought to myself, this guy is either a total fucking idiot or I am arguing with Andy Kaufman.

I can see Andy Kaufman saying ouch after shooting a 223.

What has the world come too? Has American really become a country of weaklings and idiots?

God I hope not!

PM me if you want to talk about this on the phone. That way we can make it personal and take it out of the forums.

Edited by GonzoX
What a bunch of high school girl....wait...I mean elementary school girl bullshit drama :rolleyes:

No, we are now up to drunk College frat arguments. I am however willing to take it to a personal level and take it out of this thread.

I want to hear those squeeky Pre-Teen voices arguing with me on a persona level.

Looking foward too it.

Edited by GonzoX

You have the same effect on me. Never laughed so hard at wannabe posers in my life.

I thought to myself, this guy is either a total fucking idiot or I am arguing with Andy Kaufman.

What has the world come too? Has American really become a country of weaklings and idiots?

God I hope not!

PM me if you want to talk about this on the phone. That way we can make it personal and take it out of the forums.

That's a great idea! Why don't both of you keep your childish little drama program to yourselves or move it over to the fight club. That is exactly why it was put there. ;)

And BTW goonzo, I have stood beside another guy with his high and mighty AR and shot the same damned target from 300 yds with my halfbreed Maadi MISR and we were both right on it. Took out a 16 oz coke bottle with a Leopold scoped .300 magnum bolt gun right after that...ooooooohhh. Boy did that make me feel like a man. :rolleyes: Big recoil and all. BTW it didn't have a brake. My .223 AKs , both of them, the chinese and the russian, will hit a man sized target with no problem at 300 yds. WTF are you talking about?

Getting a quick follow up shot is very important to competition shooters. If they have a brake that works it gets them on target sooner. Let me see how fast you can double tap two in the chest with just a bare muzzle, compared to one with a quality brake on it.

God I hope not!

That's a great idea! Why don't both of you keep your childish little drama program to yourselves or move it over to the fight club. That is exactly why it was put there. ;)

And BTW goonzo, I have stood beside another guy with his high and mighty AR and shot the same damned target from 300 yds with my halfbreed Maadi MISR and we were both right on it. Took out a 16 oz coke bottle with a Leopold scoped .300 magnum bolt gun right after that...ooooooohhh. Boy did that make me feel like a man. :rolleyes: Big recoil and all. BTW it didn't have a brake. My .223 AKs , both of them, the chinese and the russian, will hit a man sized target with no problem at 300 yds. WTF are you talking about?

Getting a quick follow up shot is very important to competition shooters. If they have a brake that works it gets them on target sooner. Let me see how fast you can double tap two in the chest with just a bare muzzle, compared to one with a quality brake on it.

Oh please spare me.

There is NOT a single competition shooter here among us and you know it. Too many wannabe posers in this thread AFAIAC.

If a little 223 semi recoil is too much for you then I feel for you.

Makes me wonder if my M1 Garand would disslocate your candy ass shoulder.

Not a competition shooter? Feel free to Google my name. That is "Alex Wakal", as I don't hide behind made up board names :)

Pictures of my competition rig are on this forum, as are various chunks of video footage of the last Cav Arms 3-Gun match (I won Open, FWIW).

Geez...some fry cooks :haha:

Alex

Makes me wonder if my M1 Garand would disslocate your candy ass shoulder.

This is so funny I had to comment again. I met Alex at the 3-gun Nationals last year. FYI, he's a BIG man, and I don't mean fat. He shoots 3-gun with a USAS-12.

Alex_Shotgun2_3GN2007.jpg

Edited by BobAsh

"There is NOT a single competition shooter here among us and you know it. Too many wannabe posers in this thread AFAIAC."

Hmmm...if thats the case what the hell was I doing at the Area 6 3-Gun, SOF/SWAT 3-gun, Carolina Tactical Invitational, North Carolina Recon, Kentucky 3-Gun, Ft. Benning 3-gun, et cetera, ad nauseum??!! Yeah, I have never beat Jerry Miculek or Todd Jarrett in competition ( but, I do have pictures with me shaking their hands :haha: )

Poser..me.. naw, old fart, maybe!

I'm failing to see anything of value resulting from this particular thread at this time.