AR 15 mag adapter

hello been hanging around the form for a awhile now and been working on my saiga lots of info on here. I am almost done with my conversion, I got the mag well opened up to fit the ar15 mag adapter that i bought from ORF and it fits in nice and sung but when i insert the AR15 it goes about half way and gets stuck :cryss: . Do i need to open up the mag adapter a little so the mag will fit?? Plz if anyone knows how to fix this problem plz help I am almost done with my conversion just need to get a bullet guide from dinzag.

Jay

hello been hanging around the form for a awhile now and been working on my saiga lots of info on here. I am almost done with my conversion, I got the mag well opened up to fit the ar15 mag adapter that i bought from ORF and it fits in nice and sung but when i insert the AR15 it goes about half way and gets stuck :cryss: . Do i need to open up the mag adapter a little so the mag will fit?? Plz if anyone knows how to fix this problem plz help I am almost done with my conversion just need to get a bullet guide from dinzag.

Jay

Wow, I am quite new to AK guns myself, what are the benefits of using AR magazines with a AK?

the ar15 mags also counts as 3 us parts :super:
I'm afraid that is not always so. Israeli orlite mags don't count, and neither do the H&K high reliability mags.

If you're after 922r, make sure your USGI mags are actually made in the USA (there are foreign made copies available).

got all AR 15 US made mags :smoke: but all get half way stuck going into the mag well and I dont want to F*** my mag well either so any help will on fixing this would be great

Depending on how many "all" is. Your mag well may need to be relieved on the inside.

I'd check it with a few different mags.

:super: finally got AR15 mag to fit had to remove a little more on the saiga mag well and a little on the ar15 mag well so the mag will slide in. The only problem is that the mag is not drop free like on the ar15 its easy to put in and easy to remove, when i have more time ill do a little more fitting to make the mag drop free but at the moment I'm happy with it. Now all i need to get is a bullet guide from dinzag and a folding stock and I'm all set, payed is 1 week away cant wait to order my parts :devil: . Thanks guys for your help I was thinking the same thing about my problem but wanted to make sure i was on the right road before doing anything.

Jay

Are all the mags by the same maker? If so, try something different. I have one of those UA mag adapters on my Galil and have found that the adapter (and the gun :rolleyes: ) likes the low cost aluminum mags the best, the steel mags with the shiny black finish

bind the worst, aluminum mags drop free w/ no problem.

When I went to work this morning i took my rifle with me and tired a bunch of ar15 mags that we had in our store and all of them bind up but just a little. I tired cheap mags and and good mags same result with all of them, on my next day off from work ill open up the mag well a little to make all the mags drop free but other than that I'm happy with it because i know have an AK 223 that takes ar15 mags its my SHTF weapon :devil: .

This was my first conversion and so far its turning out good. The hardest part was when i had to widen the trunion & widen the front of the receiver mag opening and "relieve" some metal on the receiver where the new mag latch is. I was taking my time and constantly checking for fit to make sure it was nice and tight. I am using some of Dyi pics as an example of what i had to do hope thats OK with you dyi.

post-4533-1195981533_thumb.jpg

post-4533-1195981542_thumb.jpg

I was so scared :cryss: when i started on the conversion because i did not know anything about tools and stuff and thought that the conversion was going to be so hard and you need all these tools. Well I was wrong everything i used was hand tools and only took a couple of hours :super: boy was i amazed :eek: that i actually did this conversion. I hope to get a digital camera soon and take a couple of pics of my new toy.

• 4 months later...

I'm finishing one up right now as 12hr work days permit. I'll get some pics posted over the next few days, but for quick and dirty now, the mag adapter needs to sit just slightly higher than the lower rails (Mag stabilizers), should latch in tight (don't take anything off the latch unless absolutely necessary, and then, only after your adapter is above the afore mentioned stabilizers), and last (this is what I'm working on now) I've found that different mag makers products act differently. You know that the cuts are deep enough when you can strip rounds properly, BUT, some mags feed higher than others. Over the next few days I'm going to be looking at different followers and advice for tweeking AR mags. In my case, the C Products LCC mags w/ light grey followers feed like butter as they allow enough bullet tip lift to clear the bullet guide and chamber. Some of the other mags I have strip fine, but because of a lack of lift when stripping, finds the bullet tip jamming into the bullet guide and failing to chamber. Nice big show tomorrow, so I'll see what I can learn from the CMMG gang. I'll post some more info on what I milled, mine is a little different than some of the previous posts, but the help from those guys was invaluable when it comes to taking the stress level down. Remember, it's easier to remove material than to put it back on :rolleyes:

Edit-feed problem looks like it might have been self induced. I took some material off the front of one of Dinzags bullet guides,

looking at his site there was something about the .223's feed low, so I welded it back up and re-cut the ramp and now it works fine hand cycling with all my mags. Should have let well enough alone in the first place.

Edited by 6500rpm

Still working on mine Im working 2 jobs and dont really have the time to work on mine but will need to finish soon so i can start my AK build :D. I havent had time to order my bullet guide yet so I dont know how it feets yet.

BRG3, the reworked mag adapter on mine is 1.026" wide, the receiver is opened up to 1.037" and a smaller step is cut near the bottom of the opening where the mag sits, so not as much material is removed at that point "nearest bolt lug locking point". The locking channel is "just" cut into from the bottom to the point where you can see the bolt lug in "locked" position on the left side, but the lug itself is .015"-.020" higher than the cut. As far as moving it back, I'm not seeing any way that would be possible unless I'm missing something.

I have about 22 detailed pictures of the process "I" used, once I live fire and verify everything works I'd like to share what I have if you can think of an easy way to make them all available. Should I reply to myself using multiple threads in a post, or just post a link to my gallery page and put them there.

Until then, here's a few that might help.

I took the minimum amount of material off that I had to to get the adapter and mag to fit, and trimmed a small amout off the adapter sides to reduce the amount needed to be taken off the trunion. Always equal amounts left to right, front to back, adapter or gun.

Last bit and I'll shut up. The crushed part of the rear rivits get shaved down to allow the adapter to pass through, the rear part of the trunion did not. Should I leave the rivits alone, re-crush, or drill them out and crush in new one's? The crushed head formed on the Saiga rivits looks slightly larger in diameter than on any kits I've de-milled, my assumption is that they still use .158" dia rivits?

post-1866-1207090933_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1207090996_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1207091074_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1207091129_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1207091220_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1207092543_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

Some other information that might help. I used a small hobby mill like you see at Harbor Freight/Cummins-nothing special, but I have a lot of respect for those that took this on with a dremmel.

Straight shank endmill bits are a must, new and sharp. Once the receiver was clamped in straight and tight, I set positive stops up for the depth and width cuts. Use plenty of light and watch closely, and go slow. As usual, safety glasses are a must. I also use titanium white oil paint like you find at a crafts store between cuts to find out where the high spots are. Just paint it thin on the magwell and attemt to install and it will transfer the high spot paint mark over to the trunion. Same goes for the mag once you get the magwell to lock in.

post-1866-1207095415_thumb.jpg

Man i remember the day I attacked my saiga with a dremmel lots of hours and cigarettes :smoke: but well worth the experience's, my buddy wants me to build him 1 now but in bull-pup configuration :super:

• 1 year later...

Just got my AR mag adapter and fit it to my rifle. Its amazing! just need to install the bullet guide and its ready to rock! Also just ordered all my conversion parts so i can finish the conversion and have it done in a week :) This has been a fun gun and a awesome project. Need a way better scope but this gun shoots spot on!!

rifle2.jpg

rifle1.jpg