Yo fellas,

I just got done painting and baking a .223 and a .308 Saiga. I used Duplicolor High Heat (1200 degrees) matte black, and did what the instructions on the can said to do. It gave the options to either bake at 300 for 2 hours, or at 400 for 1 1/2 hours. I opted for 400 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. The finish where I painted on both guns turned out great - rock solid in fact. The issue I had was that on the .308, all the exposed metal (where the bolt carrier rides, where the safety contacts the receiver etc.) turned rainbow colored, like it got way too hot. On top of it, the finish on the receiver compared to the finish on the bolt carrier and dust cover is now very dull. (I guess the next gun I paint will be at 300 for 2 hours.) I don't really mind much how it looks, I'm mainly worried about the integrity of the finish now. Whether or not it will still bear the test of time.

This was kind of an unpleasant surprise, and I was just wondering if anybody else who's painted and baked has noticed this also. Thanks.

Edited by Maniac Jack
Yo fellas,

I just got done painting and baking a .223 and a .308 Saiga. I used Duplicolor High Heat (1200 degrees) matte black, and did what the instructions on the can said to do. It gave the options to either bake at 300 for 2 hours, or at 400 for 1 1/2 hours. I opted for 400 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. The finish where I painted on both guns turned out great - rock solid in fact. The issue I had was that on the .308, all the exposed metal (where the bolt carrier rides, where the safety contacts the receiver etc.) turned rainbow colored, like it got way too hot. On top of it, the finish on the receiver compared to the finish on the bolt carrier and dust cover is now very dull. (I guess the next gun I paint will be at 300 for 2 hours.) I don't really mind much how it looks, I'm mainly worried about the integrity of the finish now. Whether or not it will still bear the test of time.

This was kind of an unpleasant surprise, and I was just wondering if anybody else who's painted and baked has noticed this also. Thanks.

sounds likeyou went above 425 to 450, metal starts changing color there. 300 to 350 would be fine.

Thanks for the info. So what do you know what this means for the finish? What does it do for the metal? More importantly the integrity of the metal. Does it weaken it/ruin it or what? I mean it still looks all right, but I'm no metallurgist, so I don't know.

Edited by Maniac Jack
Thanks for the info. So what do you know what this means for the finish? What does it do for the metal? More importantly the integrity of the metal. Does it weaken it/ruin it or what? I mean it still looks all right, but I'm no metallurgist, so I don't know.

dont worry you didnt hurt anything.

dont worry you didnt hurt anything.