After many long years of being teased by our neighbors to the north, we Americans can finally purchase the excellent Czechoslavakian Vz58 rifle, direct from the Czechs. These are not built from parts kits as previous rifles available in the US were, nor are these Klinton rifles with 10 round only capacity and no "evil" features (also previously available). These have the appropriate number of 922r parts to use with high capacity magazines (unless you live in NY or CA or other places like that) and appear to be as close to 'as issued' as we're gonna get (the military Vz58 has a sub-16" barrel). They are a lot more reasonably priced than the reverse engineered OOW version, also. Did I mention these are made by Czechs and imported by CZ-Usa?

More info here: http://www.cz-usa.com/news_events.php

VZ58Sporter.png

VZ-semi-auto-060-01.jpg

Original military appearance (only available in the USA with special taxes paid):

060-01b-sbr.jpg

Wikipedia article

More Pictures

P.S. While they may resemble AKs, they are nothing like them in design. The Soviets let the Czechs make their own assault rifle (instead of pushing the AK on them), but insisted on the use of the M43 (7.62x39) cartridge.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you gonna get one?
Why yes, I'm waiting on availability right now.
They are pretty cool...
Yes, they are. I think they're better 7.62x39 rifles than the AK. They have dual recoil springs and recoil spring guides, and are very very smooth. They're striker fired (like a Glock. These have milled receivers and weigh less than a stamped AKM. A Vz58 is 3.3kg/7.32lbs empty and an AKM is 4.3kg/9.5lbs empty.
I agree with your opinion on the polymer furniture for these, would look pretty good with a more modern set of furniture.
I don't recall saying anything about polymer furniture (other than I think the currently available stuff looks like A**)

VZ58Tactical.png

The Czechs have put some modern stuff on their guns. Did you know the Vz58 has been in Czech and Slovakian service since it was fielded in 1958? They still use it today.

012qi9.jpg

topleft.jpg

Edited by nalioth

Here is another page (sorry, it's non english) with pictures of the internal workings. You can see the dual recoil spring/guide setup, the striker assembly, the locking lugs, and a bunch more stuff there.

You can also see on this page, the Vz58s ability to reload using SKS stripper clips.

http://www.gun-world.net/czech/vz58/vz58.htm

I've got a CZ hunting rifle in .223 with Nikon scope, 17HMR and 22Mag and all these guns will drive tacks at 100 yards EASY. My nephew used my .223 to go hunting on our property this morning, and fell in love with it, along with all the deer that he did not believe where down the back side of the hill. Seems that that big ass wild hog down by the river, scared him real good, because all he could talk about was SEEING the deer and LISTENING for where the hog was. I'll be getting me one of the VZ58's very shortly.

Cool, bet it will be fun when you get it!
Yep. I have several Vz58 kits here and plan on disassembling the Cz-Usa rifle and finding the US made parts. There'll be a couple of pix, too. :o Maybe even a new avatar :) I've been wanting one of these for years, but didn't see paying $1250 for a reverse engineered rifle or $700 for a reverse engineered receiver from Ohio Ordnance Works. Edited by nalioth

It is an interesting AK variant, although I personally refer the R4 or the Valmet.

But each to his own! Sounds like a nice rifle and I look forward to seeing it.

Be sure to lay in a good supply of mags!

It is an interesting AK variant, although I personally refer the R4 or the Valmet.

But each to his own! Sounds like a nice rifle and I look forward to seeing it.

Be sure to lay in a good supply of mags!

Dunno why everyone thinks it's an AK variant.

It is not.

The only thing in common is the cartridge it uses.

Differences between the VZ 58 and the AKM

* The VZ 58 has a milled receiver, the AKM is stamped.

* Even with the milled receiver it is almost one pound lighter than a stamped AKM.

* The bolt of the VZ 58 stays open after the last round in the magazine has been fired.

* The VZ 58 has a more natural point of aim and is faster handling.

* The safety is more ergonomic making a faster first shot possible with the VZ 58.

* The ejection port is HUGE. There is no chance of an empty case getting stuck in the action of the VZ 58.

* The VZ 58 gas piston can be removed or exchanged without tools.

* The alloy magazine of the VZ 58 is half the weight of the steel AKM magazine. (.42 lb. vs. .84 lb.)

* VZ 58 is easier to field strip.

* The VZ 58 is striker fired unlike the hammer fired AKM. This reduces the number of parts and possible points of failure.

Edited by nalioth

I read that on their site, but I immediately called bullshit when they said it's easier to take down than an AK. But I was wrong. That thing comes apart like no gun I've seen. I can own one in my state, I saw one in a gunstore. The guy said 2" at 200 yards. I'm just not interested in the gun, I can't explain it.

• 2 months later...

I seen them in a local gun shop lastweek and they looked awesome. Its only the $800 price tag thats killing me. I could get two more saiga's for one VZ. I can shoot the 7,62x39 round in any of my sks's. I held off on getting an ar15 and an ak47 and the ak is banned here now. I'm kind of waiting for norinco USA to offer there M14.

i had been looking at those for a while now, nice gun, well built, just on the boat with everyone else, thats the price of 2 converted saigas....but i am a collector....but thats why i'm poor and can't afford it lol but PLEASE POST pics of it when you get it in, and give us some user feedback plz!!! i'm wanting to know what you think of it

Edited by Vultite
  • 1 month later...
I just purchased a VZ58 with the 10 round plastic magazines. It came with a parts kit and 30 round mag. I didnt relize that only the plastic mags fit into the receiver. Can i have it adapted so it will use the high capacity aluminum mags?

It's going to take some machining but yes, it can be done.

I just purchased a VZ58 with the 10 round plastic magazines. It came with a parts kit and 30 round mag. I didnt relize that only the plastic mags fit into the receiver. Can i have it adapted so it will use the high capacity aluminum mags?

It's going to take some machining but yes, it can be done.

You will also have to bring it into 922r compliance, which is the $$$$ part of the deal....

I seen them in a local gun shop lastweek and they looked awesome. Its only the $800 price tag thats killing me. I could get two more saiga's for one VZ. I can shoot the 7,62x39 round in any of my sks's. I held off on getting an ar15 and an ak47 and the ak is banned here now. I'm kind of waiting for norinco USA to offer there M14.

just fyi:

in euroland, we get brandnew (and i mean factory new) VZ 58 (7,62x39) with 4 mags (30 rounders), cleaning kit, sling and bayo for 325 euros. this for both the P and the V versions (fixed & folding).

pretty interesting, were it not that i totally hate the look of the thing. it repulses me.

maybe after a lot of modding, i could bear it, i dunno. at the very least the ugly ass furniture has to go, the front sight post has to be switched and the stock modified as far as i'm concerned.

Edited by SuA

If You haven't fired one of these. They are alot snappier than an AK.

The whole carrier, and top flies back. Kinda neat. I think I like the fixed stock better than the folder as far as range time goes. But the folder looks cool.

Very interesting assembly too. And that enamel paint job! It kind of grows on You. Thanks for letting me shoot yours Rob!

Those are quite interesting, the Czechs have had some pretty neat stuff over the years. Kinda seems they were always trying to snub their noses at the Russians. They had the Vz52 in 7.62x45, which kind of looks like a big SKS or a mini SVT, and in an intermediate caliber while the Ruskies had SKS and AK's in x39, then they come up with a superior assault rifle, but it kinda looks like an AK, almost like protest thru firearms engineering. Might have to get one of them, and the 52 to go with it.

It sucks, everytime I get my list down to 4 or 5 more guns left....something else pops up. I'll be broke forever.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had the opportunity to compare one of the VZ58's imported by CZ-USA to ones that were made from kits and Slovakian receivers. The Czech ones are not made by CZ, just imported by them. The paint jobs are acceptable but not the robust military bake on that the originals are. The receivers have been machined out to accept the double stacks but then that part of the internal receiver has been blued (?cold blued) and not painted. There is no bayonet lug. It does not appear as though the barrels are chrome lined (but I could be wrong.) The trigger is plastic (!!) There is an extra piece welded onto the bolt to circumvent the possibility of conversion to 'non-legal' rate of fire. One leg of the sear spring has been cut. The furniture is from kits, not new. On the one I saw, the stock was loose. The mags have plastic floorplates and followers. They are using the older barrels and gas blocks--the FSB is not fully hooded and the gas block was slightly pitted and not the stainless steel ones of the later models.

Overall these rifles aren't bad really, but I disagree with those who were of the opinion that they would be far superior to those made from the kits. Of course some of that depends on who is putting the kits together.

I recently had the opportunity to compare one of the VZ58's imported by CZ-USA to ones that were made from kits and Slovakian receivers. The Czech ones are not made by CZ, just imported by them. The paint jobs are acceptable but not the robust military bake on that the originals are. The receivers have been machined out to accept the double stacks but then that part of the internal receiver has been blued (?cold blued) and not painted. There is no bayonet lug. It does not appear as though the barrels are chrome lined (but I could be wrong.) The trigger is plastic (!!) There is an extra piece welded onto the bolt to circumvent the possibility of conversion to 'non-legal' rate of fire. One leg of the sear spring has been cut. The furniture is from kits, not new. On the one I saw, the stock was loose. The mags have plastic floorplates and followers. They are using the older barrels and gas blocks--the FSB is not fully hooded and the gas block was slightly pitted and not the stainless steel ones of the later models.

Overall these rifles aren't bad really, but I disagree with those who were of the opinion that they would be far superior to those made from the kits. Of course some of that depends on who is putting the kits together.

Not sure what you were looking at, but my built-in-Czechoslavakia Vz58 is new in all respects.

The Czechs are using "new old stock" parts to build threse (aside from the receivers). This includes the miilitary chrome lined barrels. They weld an extension on them for US legal length.

The receivers are made in Czechoslavakia as single stack receivers and once they get here, they are milled open.

The trigger, disconecter, sear, mag follower and mag floorplate are the US made compliance parts.

They are head and shoulders above the Kalashnikov in design and workmanship, IMHO.

My man, that is a great thought one I'd like to entertain but I am afraid you have got a long wait ahead of you. Check out Marstar Canada, they have them now and for $350.00 it is an excellent deal. If legislation does not change this year it sure isn't next time around and certain business entities here like the restrictions just the way they are. These are as good as a Springfield M1A. I know that is going to piss some people off but I had a rack grade PolyTech M1A that shot circles around my Springfield national match. Put a new stock and a flash hider on it and you couldn't tell the difference and the soft metal issue is a marketing ploy by Springfield so you will dump $1200-1500+ on a gun. $2250.00 in my case. Sorry, but that is the truth. The spec's are not USGI but off only slightly so parts can be made to work. Take notice however, after that shithead Klinton and his BS administration NO imports of any of any kind from PRC!!! . That is having to do with firearms. The chinks are sitting on billions, yes with a B, billions of rounds of 7.62x39 and we can't touch it. That is you and me. The govt. can buy all they want, at inflated prices mind you, to supply those iraqi, laughable, poor excuse, jokes of an army an it eventually winds up getting shot back at our guys. Oh, that makes alot of sense. I am gonna get one of those MP-38's they got, new made in Germany. Yeah, they are really expensive but I have just about convinced my wife it will be easier and more fun to shoot than the MP-5 in .45 she has now.

Edited by U.S Praetorian
Not sure what you were looking at, but my built-in-Czechoslavakia Vz58 is new in all respects.

The Czechs are using "new old stock" parts to build threse (aside from the receivers). This includes the miilitary chrome lined barrels. They weld an extension on them for US legal length.

The receivers are made in Czechoslavakia as single stack receivers and once they get here, they are milled open.

The trigger, disconecter, sear, mag follower and mag floorplate are the US made compliance parts.

They are head and shoulders above the Kalashnikov in design and workmanship, IMHO.

I saw one of the VZ's imported by CZ-USA. I don't argue that the design is superior to the AK. I just think for the money they may have done a bit more elegant job, avoiding plastic and using a much better finish. I'd stand the kit build I have to the CZ-USA's any time.