Thumbhole stocks

Hey everyone

I have been planning on doing a Saiga .308 pistol grip conversion since about 2005 or so....I never seem to get around to it. Then a while back I saw a thumb hole stock that looks similar to an SVD stock at an army surplus store that required no conversion. It was in clear plastic bag with all cyrillic markings. I went back to buy it then it was gone. Then recently I saw a Saiga 7.62X39mm with one of these stocks on it. I was wondering if anyone had one of these stocks and how you feel about it. I have a choate "dragunov" stock already with check rest. But I was thinking of saving time and money by just buying one of the new no conversion thumb hole stocks.

Id like to hear any opinions on this type of stock. By the way I plan to put it on a long barreled Saiga .308

Buck Shott

I did the conversion using a RSA trigger group and the Choate thumbhole stock not too long ago, and I am really pleased with the result. If I had to do it again I would definitely still go to the trouble of the conversion, which only took me 2-3 hours to accomplish.

Here is a link to the write up I did for another forum:

http://www.gunthing.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/3870/

Edited by Netpackrat
Hey everyone

I have been planning on doing a Saiga .308 pistol grip conversion since about 2005 or so....I never seem to get around to it. Then a while back I saw a thumb hole stock that looks similar to an SVD stock at an army surplus store that required no conversion. It was in clear plastic bag with all cyrillic markings. I went back to buy it then it was gone. Then recently I saw a Saiga 7.62X39mm with one of these stocks on it. I was wondering if anyone had one of these stocks and how you feel about it. I have a choate "dragunov" stock already with check rest. But I was thinking of saving time and money by just buying one of the new no conversion thumb hole stocks.

Id like to hear any opinions on this type of stock. By the way I plan to put it on a long barreled Saiga .308

Buck Shott

I handled a 21 308 with the stock you are describing at the gun show this weekend. Opinions will vary, but i didn't like the feel of it at all. grip was too long front to back, and too short top to bottom......that was my opinion of it anyway.....you hand may work better on it. Felt solid, just not right for me though

I handled one one at a gunshop the other day and it fit my hand perfectly!. That being said a few years ago I crushed my right hand in a industrial accident, So it may not fit a regular hand as well. One thing I was concerned about is having the safety lever so far away, but I think I'll get used to it. I decided to purchase on from a member of these forums so I will let you know how it works once I get it.

Brother in Arms

Edited by Buck shott
  • 2 weeks later...

I received the stock today from a member of these forums. It easily attached to my Saiga .308 and it is Awesome! It looks and feels Much better than I expected and is a huge improvement over the standard hollow stock. It reduces the overall length of the rifle and its very comfortable for my hand and it gives a good cheek weld, for iron sights or with the cheek rest for use with optics.. It also looks fairly similar to the SVD polymer stock.

It is was well worth the investment and I hope to shoot it soon I will keep you updated on how I like it at the range.

Eugene: The 6x42 looks really great on the rifle and its powerful enough for most shooting anyone would do at combat ranges. What kind of sling are you looking for? I put a leather tab Chinese SKS sling on my rifle and it works well.

Buck Shott

Edited by Buck shott