What brand 7.62x39 ammo is cleaner or dirtier?

I am most interested in the less expensive brands; Wolf, Golden Tiger, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, or any brand that costs $5.50 per 20 or less. The reason is I would expect the more expensive ammunition to be cleaner and probably a little more accurate.

Also it doesn't do me much good as a shooter (on a limited income) to know that Black Hills ammo (at $25 a box) is cleaner and a lot more accurate than Silver Bear.

SURVEY BELOW

• What brand of ammo do you shoot in your Saiga 7.62 converted or non-converted?
  • What brand(s) is (are) cleanest in your opinion?
  • What brand (s) is (are) dirtiest?
  • What brand(s) are most accurate?

louielouie

What brand of ammo do you shoot in your Saiga 7.62 converted or non-converted? WOLF

What brand(s) is (are) cleanest in your opinion? WOLF that has NOT been shot or anything else that HAS been (almost anything)

What brand (s) is (are) dirtiest? WOLF that HAS been shot

What brand(s) are most accurate? ANYTHING OTHER than WOLF, pretty much most, but some are just as bad.

I can shoot ammo from my supplier and hold 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 100 yards, the wolf AT BEST will do 3-5" groups. Wolf is CHEAP, or used to be, I have yet to find any of the 2-3K rounds that I have in the safe for both 7.62 & .223 to be very accurate. It always gives different grouping, different muzzle blast, different sounds, BUT is great about ONE thing, it is NASTY ammo. I have even had the bullets fall out of the shell when they where being cycled when shooting, and NO, I was not shooting fast. But for playing and just plain wasting ammo, shoot it.

And don't buy your Wolf ammo at the local gun shops, buy in bulk on line, and shop around, most of the time, it's cheaper, even after paying shipping.

Ive shot a lot of mixed stuff in the last few years in x39.

portuguese milsurp. shoots fairly clean, fairly consistannt and accurate.

olympic (greek reloads, commercial 40 round packs) - loaded so loose in tolerance, not worth it IMHO

wolf - well, its wolf

hungarian milsurp, forget the years, white box with blue lettering - shoots ok for clean, shoots ok, but I have had some bullets "shotgun" out of the barrel, I.E. fragment out the muzzle.

silver bear - cleaner than wolf, ok groupings

hungarian non-commercial mil surp- clean, good groups

german milsurp (east? I think) - clean, good groups

chineese milsurp (should have saved it) - clean, good groups, AP

winchester white box - clean, good groupings, better than most, pricier

Ive shot a bunch of other types, cant remember them off the top of my head. hope this helps a little

'Bvamp' / topmaul/termite

Every little bit helps.

I ended up buying 500 rds of Brown Bear for $95 shipped to me. Best price I could find.

I like Silver Bear, but I am not willing to pay another $50 for it. At least not till I try the Brown Bear.

louielouie

p.s. Barnaul was accurate but like shooting black powder. 40 rounds and my gun was filthly.

Edited by louielouie

i dont know much no how dirty some ammo is but as far as accuracy no 1 brand is going to be the best in all weapons you have to use trial and error to find out what brand /weight your weapon likes best , just because it is a handload doesnt mean it will shoot better than a $5.00 box of ammo out of your weapon (but you can do a trail and error with handloads to find a magic comb that works great) buy 1 box of like 8 diffent brands some cheap some expensive see what it likes. then buy ALOT of that. personally i had alot of problems with stovepipeing with silver bear in 7.62 and 308 , i will not buy any more

Edited by Cryptkeeper
i dont know much no how dirty some ammo is but as far as accuracy no 1 brand is going to be the best in all weapons you have to use trial and error to find out what brand /weight your weapon likes best , just because it is a handload doesnt mean it will shoot better than a $5.00 box of ammo out of your weapon (but you can do a trail and error with handloads to find a magic comb that works great) buy 1 box of like 8 diffent brands some cheap some expensive see what it likes. then buy ALOT of that. personally i had alot of problems with stovepipeing with silver bear in 7.62 and 308 , i will not buy any more

Do you have any of the 7.62 left that you would be willing to sell?

louielouie

ive never had a single problem with any of the BEAR ammo. feeding and ejection issues are isolated to firearm issues.

barnaul makes all the BEAR ammo. only differences are the casings they are loaded in. silver, brown, golden BEAR. same projectiles, powder, primers. only casings are different.

barnaul beats wolf hands down. but i tend to go with the best price b/c all i do is plink with it anyway.

ive never had a single problem with any of the BEAR ammo. feeding and ejection issues are isolated to firearm issues.

barnaul makes all the BEAR ammo. only differences are the casings they are loaded in. silver, brown, golden BEAR. same projectiles, powder, primers. only casings are different.

barnaul beats wolf hands down. but i tend to go with the best price b/c all i do is plink with it anyway.

if that was true then i would have problem no matter what ammo i used. and i dont it only stovepipes with silverbear. accuracy (308) was good 1 1/4-1 1/2" @100yrds with silver bear if it didnt stovepipe i would buy it. the only time it stovepipes is with silverbear for some reason both my weapons dont like it.i think it is the low velosity silverbear has means less energy to throw out the shell. barnaul had 4" grps @100yrds out of my 308 so i will not use it. but i did find some that i got inside a 1" square fed power shok 150 SP