Storing my S12 for Home Defense

I've been struggling with how to best store my S12 for home defense. I have kids, so it needs to be secured so nothing happens to them. I also wanted something that would prevent a casual burglar from just walking away with it.

Here's what I came up with:

ShotgunStorage.jpg

The eye bolt and lock provide the primary security. The retractable cable is pretty thin, but I liked the idea of a combo rather than a keyed lock. You could definitely beef things up with a standard gun cable lock or a solid shaft lock.

The buttstock bracket is screwed into the floor. I'm considering a future mod that limits the ability of the gun to be lifted when the lock is in place...then the bracket would help keep the gun in place.

The broom handle clip came on a strip of 5. I cut this one off, drilled new mounting holes, and installed it. It is spring loaded and fits the S12 barrel perfectly.

Like I said, this is primarily designed to keep the weapon safe from small hands (although my 4 year old helped me install the set up). It's not really meant to be a way to keep it secure from theft (although I may get there yet). I want quick access (hence the combo lock) and closer proximity than my rifle locker.

I did notch the safety lever to act as a manual BHO. That also allows me to lock the action open to run the lock through. It also means that I can always load the mag on an open bolt, which is much easier and faster.

Anyway, this is my first stab at a convenient HD storage system. I'm sure there are other great ideas out there - this is just what I came up with.

Jim

Looks like a great idea! I taught my kids early about firearms and what they do to watermelons. We took a road trip to Oklahoma and commenced to visiting with folks when my kids were 5 & 4. I went out to check on them and they were playing in the van; with my daughter holding a map of Texas and my son "play" driving". There was a .357 mag revolver sitting on top of where the map had been. I asked them if the touched the gun and they both responded "unh-unh". Maybe I was lucky, maybe they were well trained. We never had any "incidents" and they both still love to go to the range with me (they are now 23 & 24). I applaud your idea but I also think that "training" will play the biggest role in keeping your kids safe. If a burglar wants your gun, it is history, if he is a professional. Keep working at it and you'll be on the other side before you know it. Thanks for sharing.

I agree 100% that nothing replaces awareness and understanding. I was pretty happy when I asked the 4-yr old what he would do if he found a gun. "Tell a grown up" was his answer. My 7-yr old daughter is looking forward to when I take her shooting. My 17-yr old shoots USPSA with me on a regular basis. Our 15-yr old has been shooting with me before, but it's really not his thing.

I'm probably more concerned about other people - and I stress what they should do if they are at someone else's house and they see a gun. It seems like it's not the kids of responsible gun owners that end up causing problems -- it's the children of irresponsible parents that leave guns around and don't train their kids what to do. They end up shooting the other kids because they don't have a real respect for the weapon.

So this rig will work for now to keep the gun safe from curious fingers - and I'll continue to teach my kids about guns and gun safety.

Jim

Great setup!

I would personally add some sort of curtain to keep it hidden and protect it from getting dust into the mechanism. Not that a S-12 would be sensitive to dust. But anyways.

A friend of mine, who is a hunter, told med to keep shotguns barrel down so that oil does not run backwards into the mechanism. I'm not sure if this is relevant here or if it's just him with his expensive engraved gold plated Benelli guns. I don't oil my gun anyway.

Don't forget to practice! And do it blind folded...

When the zombies are around your fingers will get thicker and stiffer. Also the lights might be out so the combo lock should be easily operated in complete darkness with sweat running in your eyes. Maybe you should try doing it with gloves on just to get a feeling for it.

Where do you keep the mags & extra ammo that goes with this setup?

Great setup!

I would personally add some sort of curtain to keep it hidden and protect it from getting dust into the mechanism. Not that a S-12 would be sensitive to dust. But anyways.

A friend of mine, who is a hunter, told med to keep shotguns barrel down so that oil does not run backwards into the mechanism. I'm not sure if this is relevant here or if it's just him with his expensive engraved gold plated Benelli guns. I don't oil my gun anyway.

Don't forget to practice! And do it blind folded...

When the zombies are around your fingers will get thicker and stiffer. Also the lights might be out so the combo lock should be easily operated in complete darkness with sweat running in your eyes. Maybe you should try doing it with gloves on just to get a feeling for it.

Where do you keep the mags & extra ammo that goes with this setup?

Good points - thanks!

I like the buttstock plate keeping things steady, so barrel down storage isn't going to work too well. Besides, I don't keep my S12 very wet, so I don't think that's an issue.

I have flashlight and a weapon light nearby - so that will help with the darkness issue.

I have one 10-rd mag loaded and on the shelf right above the gun (this set up is in my walk in closet in the master bedroom). I can easily store all of my 10-rd AGP and my 5-rd factory mags there if I wanted to. I'm probably going to set up my bug out bag in there, too - so I can carry the extra mags plus have extra pistol mags available (I have my "go to" gun in a Homak security box mounted to the wall in the same room. Four buttons {workable in complete darkness} gets me access to the gun.)

And you're right -- practice is the key (for both me and my wife!)

Jim

Sounds like a good idea. I do have one question though. Can anyone comment on if being kept in the locked back position will have any long term effects on the recoil spring?

Just wondering, because I have had the thought go through my brain pan of keeping mine in the locked back position for faster loading if needed, but the nagging worry about the recoil spring keeps me from doing it.

I like the setup you have there Jim. It's always a toss-up between quick access and safe storage, and that's one of the better ideas I've seen for a reasonable balance between the two...especially with young kids in the house.

I don't have little ones running around (yet), but I still didn't like the idea of leaving a loaded firearm anywhere the wrong person might find it. What I ended up coming up with was screwing padded bicycle hooks above the door inside our master bedroom closet. The shotgun stays up and out of plain view, and is easy enough to get ahold of if I need it. Even still, when we get to the point we have kids and they are reaching the curious stage, I think I would look towards something more like what you have.

Great idea...thanks for sharing!