What all companies will modify the gas system/shorten for SBS Saigas?

I have a converted Saiga that I did myself. I want to register it as a SBS. I know Tromix does the work but I don't want to wait until 2009. Anyone else in the game for this mod? I am guessing it would involve shortening the gas system and enlarging the ports.

I wonder how much it would cost. I can do everything else like cut and thread the barrel

:ded:

I have a converted Saiga that I did myself. I want to register it as a SBS. I know Tromix does the work but I don't want to wait until 2009. Anyone else in the game for this mod? I am guessing it would involve shortening the gas system and enlarging the ports.

I wonder how much it would cost. I can do everything else like cut and thread the barrel

Why not pony up and pay a professional to do the work? You will give the Government $200 for the tax stamp, so why not pay to have it done correctly?

If it was my money, I would just pay someone to SBS the S12. If you do it yourself, you will need to complete a Form 1. Also, worthy to note that if you do the Form 1, you must stamp your name and city on the firearm receiver...some goofy ATF rule.

If you have Tromix or Joe Freeman do it, you will complete the Form 4 once the work is completed. I believe that Wil aka Red Jacket can do this for you as well.

I am on the Tromix list and will probably go with the Micro 12 with an 8" or 10" barrel.

Edited by aubie515

Because I can do it myself and know the results will be fantastic. There's not much to cutting and threading a shotgun barrel. Internal threads woul dbe tough but I don't think I will have an issue with external. In other words why pay a premium for something I can do myself and really will be no different? If we are talking the whole conversion yes a professionals results would be nicer but not just doing the barrel. I have no idea how to do the gas system myself so I do plan on paying a professional for this. I don't want a really short 10" or 8". I haven't really decided a length but it won't be like the shorty you are talking about.

I have already converted the Saiga. I just cut the rear tang off last night for an ace internal block for a folding stock. It truned out real nice. I was using some screw posts to fill the holes as you can see. All I need to do now is register it, cut and thread the barrel, pay someone to do the gas system and whatever this will entail, I will then fill the reciever holes with some weld or something then refinish it myself. I have an oven in my shop I got from good will to do refinishing on parts and guns so there is no need to pay someone for this unless I want something besides spray and bake finish. Alumihyde II I have found is every bit as durable as finishes like Durakote or gun kote if it is baked on like them. Gun kote would be better with parkerizing underneath but the Alumihyde is just fine if baked on.

Here is my converted saiga that I refinished as well before I cut the tang off last night.

IMG_1899.jpg

Edited by SaigaFodder
It's $200.

You can't make a Saiga an AOW, since it is originally manufactured with a stock.

Thanks for the info. I am not really knowledgeable about that stuff. I will be reading up as I plan to get all the paperwork, fingerprints etc sent off in a month or so. If I remember correctly the forms are available at titleii.com.

There are a few people that will shorten a saiga gas system in addition to shortening a barrel. I have seen examples of of Tony's work as well as Joe Freeman's. Great work... I have also seen Will's work and it is great also. If you are interested in this kind of work AND you don't want to wait two years I would give Will a call. I will be sending my S-12 to him very soon for the complete sbs treatment. He discussed with me at great length shortening the gas system. Very reasonable pricing also.

There are a few people that will shorten a saiga gas system in addition to shortening a barrel. I have seen examples of of Tony's work as well as Joe Freeman's. Great work... I have also seen Will's work and it is great also. If you are interested in this kind of work AND you don't want to wait two years I would give Will a call. I will be sending my S-12 to him very soon for the complete sbs treatment. He discussed with me at great length shortening the gas system. Very reasonable pricing also.

I really don't know all that much about the different "Saiga Smiths" except Tromix. Who is Will and how do I contact him?

Edited by SaigaFodder