I'm going to sight in the new X39 rifle Monday. What are the average ranges for the rifle courses? I know it depends on the course design, I'm looking for a min-max & average ranges. I'd like to hear about the pistol/shotgun ranges too. I'm looking into changing the sights on the G35, X39, and the S12.

I'm going to sight in the new X39 rifle Monday. What are the average ranges for the rifle courses? I know it depends on the course design, I'm looking for a min-max & average ranges. I'd like to hear about the pistol/shotgun ranges too. I'm looking into changing the sights on the G35, X39, and the S12.

My best suggestion is to find the local matchs you want to shoot and talk to the Match Director, or some folks who shoot there regularly and ask.

Black Creek is 90 yards max I have been to some with 300 yards but they are not very common at least in my area.

Good Luck, remember if your using the S-12 you'll be in the Open Division so you can pretty much do what you want with your rifle.

The further west you live, the more common the long range stuff is. This is because the eastern ranges just don't have the amount of land needed, of course there are exceptions.

The larger the match, the more common the long range stuff is. This is because the longer range stuff is harder to set up/run.

Heck, Shooters paradise (VA) ran three gun matches on 25 yard ranges! But to challenge rifle shooters they sometimes shot at life savers ... talk about needing to know your holdover! Don't go looking for them now, the range burned down a year back and they aren't back up yet.

Most big matches will have maybe one 250-300 yard rifle stage, with pistols and shotguns inside 25 yards.

There are the occasional oddities, like those idiots in West Texas throwing a hundred yard slug stage or a 85-yard pistol stage, but usually...not so much (distance)...

With a 100 yard zero on your rifle and 50 yard zeros on your pistol and shotgun, you should be able to compute holdover for pretty much anything :)

Alex

85 yards with a pistol is BS if you ask me, in a 3 gun match heck they might as well have a 100 yard buckshot stage LOL

I am not doubting you that they had a 85 yard stage it is just crazy to expect people to hit at that range I guess you can but really why?

Edited by topmaul

Worse than that, it was 85 yards timed fire :)

"Breckenridge Standards" at the Texas State Limited Championship...one stage has been at least 50 yards (and 85 one year) every year. Six rounds, six seconds, one target...put up or shut up. Bitching allowed (LOL).

I shot a three gun match in Waco this weekend that had two 300 yard rifle stages (one static, one mover), and a hundred yard pistol stage. Great fun. VERY unusual for a three gun match. But great fun!

Alex

Longest rifle shot I've had in 3-gun= SOF 3-Gun almost always had a rifle stage with shots out to 550 meters.

Longest shotgun slug shot I've in 3-gun= '05 NC Recon with two 90 yd. shots on steel silhouettes (in woods) to finish the stage.

Longest pistol I've had in 3-gun= 50+ yds. can't remember which match