I never tried one in the Saiga, but I had reliabilty issues using them in an AK, SKS, and Mini-14 (all of which were again reliable, after removing the buffer).

I've read some reports of people reducing the thickness of the buffer with good results, but after my bad experiences I never tried.

I have a green AK buffer from Black Jack in my .308 without issues. Haven't paid attention to whether or not there is a reduction in felt recoil. I like the idea of eliminating the metal to metal contact when the bolt slams to the rear.

If you're having metal to metal contact, your recoil spring is worn out. If you want to make sure you don't have metal to metal contact, Wolff sells 'extra strength' recoil springs.

If Mr. Kalashnikov had wanted a recoil buffer, he'd have included one in the design.

........and are you certain you are having metal to metal contact, or just 'think' you are having it?

Edited by nalioth
I tried the blue one in my .308. I didn't notice a difference with factory mags, but got 2-3 Fail to Feeds on every FBMG mag.

I took it out, and left it out. I didn't pay $50/mag to have them work 85% of the time. :ded:

Used a buffer in my 308, haven't had any issues so far.

The buffer in my S12 cause a ton of FTF and FTE.

I use the Blackjack Buffers in my homebuilt AKs in 7.62x39, and have had good results. They solve a problem with some builds where the bolt carrier can travel back too far and jump the rails, which I think is a problem of manufacturing tolerances, resulting from assembling an original parts kit onto an aftermarket, US made receiver. Not all builds have this problem, and therefore don't require the buffer.

As for the Saiga, I don't see the benefit to one.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the flat green BlackJack buffer in mine, but only because I switched from using the factory Saiga spring guide/rod to a regular AK spring guide/rod. I will say that recoil doesn't seem as snappy using the BJ buffer, but S-308 recoil has never really been an issue for me and the little sturrup thingy on the factory rod seems to work just fine. I just reasoned that since the factory rod had the sturrup thingy, that I probably ought to have something on the rod I replaced it with... To each their own.

• 1 month later...

Does the Saiga 308 use an AK-47 recoil assembly or an AK-74 Recoil Assembly? Just curious but I may want to switch it out for one from K-var, add X-tra power springs from Wolff and a buffer to mitigate recoil and extend receiver life. It also makes sense to know from a spares point of view.

Does the Saiga 308 use an AK-47 recoil assembly or an AK-74 Recoil Assembly? Just curious but I may want to switch it out for one from K-var, add X-tra power springs from Wolff and a buffer to mitigate recoil and extend receiver life. It also makes sense to know from a spares point of view.

The recoil spring assemblies are the same from the RPK to the AK74, especially so if you are gonna change the spring that rides on 'em anyway.

The recoil spring assemblies are the same from the RPK to the AK74, especially so if you are gonna change the spring that rides on 'em anyway.

Thanks. I think I will make the upgrade. The recoil of the .308 seems a bit harsh, need to tame it a bit.

Thanks. I think I will make the upgrade. The recoil of the .308 seems a bit harsh, need to tame it a bit.

DI: "Pain is ....?"

Recruits: "GOOD SIR!"

DI: "Extreme pain is...?"

Recruits: "EXTREMELY GOOD SIR!"

LOL!

I shot close to a hundred rounds in one session with the skeleton stock wearing a t-shirt. Towards the end of the session those were the words that were running through my head. I also recommend barbell flys and shoulder shrugs to build up the muscle tissue around the shoulder. :D

DI: "Pain is ....?"

Recruits: "GOOD SIR!"

DI: "Extreme pain is...?"

Recruits: "EXTREMELY GOOD SIR!"

LOL!

I shot close to a hundred rounds in one session with the skeleton stock wearing a t-shirt. Towards the end of the session those were the words that were running through my head. I also recommend barbell flys and shoulder shrugs to build up the muscle tissue around the shoulder. :D

As a former marine I am well experienced in pain, heheh. That does not mean that I have to enjoy it though or that I can not do something to reduce it. Besides weakness leaving the body, pain is the body telling you it is getting damaged. Prolonged damage is never good. I think part of my problem is the Warsaw Pact length AK stock.

As a former marine I am well experienced in pain.

:blink:

FORMER Marine????? I don't get it??????

Hey bud, I no longer wear green all day or do push ups for a living. Yeah, I know the brotherhood is eternal but I no longer risk my life on the line so I do not want to take any credit from those who do. Semper Fi.

Hey bud, I no longer wear green all day or do push ups for a living. Yeah, I know the brotherhood is eternal but I no longer risk my life on the line so I do not want to take any credit from those who do. Semper Fi.

I hope my comment was not taken wrong as it was only offered IN the spirit of brotherhood.

I may not be as lean and mean, but I'm STILL 100% Marine.

The Title was hard earned and I will NEVER give it away.

The one's in harms way need us old Jarheads more than ever.

As a voice here at home (Political or otherwise) to make sure they have what they need to fight

and that their loved ones are taken care of. Worst case, to help in the event they don't come back alive.

Not trying to take any credit for today's young warriors, Only to be a "Brother" any way I can.

Semper Fi

I hope my comment was not taken wrong as it was only offered IN the spirit of brotherhood.

I may not be as lean and mean, but I'm STILL 100% Marine.

The Title was hard earned and I will NEVER give it away.

The one's in harms way need us old Jarheads more than ever.

As a voice here at home (Political or otherwise) to make sure they have what they need to fight

and that their loved ones are taken care of. Worst case, to help in the event they don't come back alive.

Not trying to take any credit for today's young warriors, Only to be a "Brother" any way I can.

Semper Fi

No offense taken, just wanted to clarify myself. I am with you. Semper Fi and let us hope all brother marines return safely to our shores.