I know this wasn't your question, but here is another option.

I used an East German gas tube and upper handguard.

I flattened the stock Saiga handguard with a belt sander.

Then I just filed in some slots to match those on the upper handguard.

The vfg is a modified Yugo pistol grip.

modsaigahandgaurdtq0.th.jpg

modsaigahandgaurd2hk1.th.jpg

I think the guys who do this mod usualy use a milling machine. I don't know how handy you are but I did mine by hand and it came out pretty good. I started out by carefully measuring and plotting some holes on the handguard and drilling them with a brad point drill bit. Then I used a dremel with a thin cutoff disc to "connect" the holes to form slots with rounded ends. Then some final shaping with a rat tail file and a flat file and bam! a vented handguard.

This project took a couple of hours but it was fun and very rewarding. Almost undistinguishable from machined slots.

You can do it you'r self-be shure to clear the metal inserts at the front and rear. Mark carefully,drill undersize holes,dremmell slowly so you don't melt the plastic.

If you FU you can fix it with JB weld or Devcon. Search my old posts in the .410 forum to see the one I made for the wife.

Vents are much easier to make when the handguard is a block of wood and you can mark the surface all you want to cut the vents before milling material away. When I'm making a vented handguard, the first thing I cut are the vents, then I do all inletting and shaping.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what methods the professional venters use on already made handguards, but making a guide block with the vents drawn on and machining both together may be a way to get maximum precision with simpler tools. It would just take a bit more work than putting it in a milling machine.

Edited by BattleRifleG3
Thanks everybody for all the replies but in the end I think I'll just keep the FHG like it is ,the reason I asked about the vents is because I wanted to have a little opening so I could insert a tool and remove the gas tube when I cleaned the rifle .

Well...

There is this months hands down winner for informational OVERKILL. :rolleyes: