AKS-004.jpg

Ok so a while back I bought my hungarian AK with that metal side folder on it. I cannot figure out for the life of my how to remove it. I found one screw holding it to the receiver and i removed that, there was also what looked like a spring loaded hook holding onto a bar. I was able to push that down with a screw driver and tried to pull the stock out. With me and another guy we were able to move it maybe 1/8 of an inch. Is there something I am missing?

AKS-004.jpg

Ok so a while back I bought my hungarian AK with that metal side folder on it. I cannot figure out for the life of my how to remove it. I found one screw holding it to the receiver and i removed that, there was also what looked like a spring loaded hook holding onto a bar. I was able to push that down with a screw driver and tried to pull the stock out. With me and another guy we were able to move it maybe 1/8 of an inch. Is there something I am missing?

There are two screws on the top. Remove your recoil spring to find the other one. Please don't mess with anything but those two screws, or you'll be wishing you had 3 hands to put it all back together :)

AKS-004.jpg

There are two screws on the top. Remove your recoil spring to find the other one. Please don't mess with anything but those two screws, or you'll be wishing you had 3 hands to put it all back together :)

under the button attached to the recoil spring there is a hole for a screw, but its not there. Seems like when it was built they figured 1 screw was enough... still wont come out.

under the button attached to the recoil spring there is a hole for a screw, but its not there. Seems like when it was built they figured 1 screw was enough... still wont come out.
In that case, get out your rubber hammer. Conversely, you and your friend can play tug-o-war. Two screws should be the only things holding it in, and if the screws are out, you may have to convince it to part with the rifle.
In that case, get out your rubber hammer. Conversely, you and your friend can play tug-o-war. Two screws should be the only things holding it in, and if the screws are out, you may have to convince it to part with the rifle.

yeah we tried that to no avail.... there must be something holding it in... ill take some photos tomorrow when my batteries are charged.

ak1.png

See there is only 1 screw holding it to the receiver. I removed it and was only able to get it out by 1/16th of an Inch.

ak2.png

This is that spring loaded hook i was talking about, it seems like its only function is to hold onto that bar going from side to side on the receiver. I believe that hook is part of the stock, by pushing that down i was able to move the stock a little bit to a total of 1/8 in.

ak3.png

there is also this bar that goes back to the end of the receiver, i dont know if it has anything to do with it but its hard to tell.

This is that spring loaded hook i was talking about, it seems like its only function is to hold onto that bar going from side to side on the receiver. I believe that hook is part of the stock, by pushing that down i was able to move the stock a little bit to a total of 1/8 in.
The spring loaded hook is part of the locking mechanism. It keeps the locking bolt tight against the stock arm, and locks it into place. The other end of it you feel as you press the release lever.

All I can say is "Work it". Some of them have to be driven in with rubber hammers or wood 2x4s and are very tight.

Only the two screws actually hold it in.

i have that very same stock you need to remove the pistol grip nut that is the last think holding it on. with out removeint hat it will never come out!!!! it will be a bitch to remove but unscrew the pgrip andwiggle and pry alot it will come out whay you have is a east german or tantle stock they are different than what you pictured. i hope this helps plese let me konow if i can help more. pm to follow....

Edited by TheGunHustler
i have that very same stock you need to remove the pistol grip nut that is the last think holding it on. with out removeint hat it will never come out!!!! it will be a bitch to remove but unscrew the pgrip andwiggle and pry alot it will come out whay you have is a east german or tantle stock they are different than what you pictured. i hope this helps plese let me konow if i can help more. pm to follow....

Thanks alot, that really helped!