Question about shortening a Saiga 12?

I figured you guys would know the best about this. I want to have my Saiga 12 barrel shortened. How short can you make it without shortening the gas tube etc? Say the ports are opened up some but not enough to cause issues like pieces of the plastic wad etc getting lodged in them. Could the barrel be shortened some doing it this way and how much if it can? I don' really like the look of super short 8-10" saiga 12's. I'd like to have mine shortened to 14-15" or so. Is this possible or will the gas system have to be shortened. Being able to still shoot target loads is a must.

There's no silver bullet here. The shorter you go, the larger the parts need to be and that will increase your fouling. Or you can just heavy loads and leave the ports smaller.

You can actually go down to 11" with the stock gas system, if you don't mind having large gas ports (higher fouling) and only fire heavy loads.

Tony

Tony,

Do you think something can be done with the piston design to act as a carbon scraper to some extent (fouling issue)? Also, what's the purpose of what I'm going to call a vent hole at the back of the gas block and can something be done with that? I have some interest in having a 18" barrel ported to help with muzzle lift, but it has to bleed off some pressure and I don't want anything negative with cycling.

6500RPM, that vent hole is not a gas bleed-off hole. The gas pressure is on the other side of the piston and the piston never clears that hole. I am not certain, but I imagine that hole is to allow the air behind the piston to vent out easier as the piston is driven rearward.

Tony