Saiga Dimpled Receiver w/ Y stamp

Does anyone know where I can purchase a NIB Saiga in 7.62 with the dimples and the Y stamp?

Also can anyone confirm that the 20" saigas from RAA have the dimples. All of the pics I have seen for RAA sagias in 7.62 show no dimples on the 16" but do show dimples and y stamp on the 20". Since these are web photos I realize they may not be accurate so I trying to get some validation. I live in the PRK (kalifonria) and most dealers here in the OC wont even discuss Saigas, no less sell or stock them. I had to use a FFL about 80 miles away for my last purchase but they only have 16" with no dimples in stock.

Check out these links

with Dimples

Without

Without Dimples

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly is the "Y" stamp? What's the fuss over it? Is it kinda like how everyone wants a dimpled receiver? Excuse my ignorance :D .

No Problem! The Y Stamp is where the auto-sear pin would go. NOT THAT I WOULD EVER consider putting one in. IMHO I think it makes it look more authentic to have both ( Y stamp & DImples).

Some ppl dont like the look( just ask tony r at tromix) and others think the dimples help with mag wobble. I think mag wobble on Saigas are due to too over zealous dremel users on the tabs. I have moded about 12 mags and none of them wobble, but I took my time to make sure that they fit tightly. I could be wrong on that one, it may have been part luck and part good mag? dunno?

Final Note: Its like having beadblasted bolt carriers, serves no purpose but looks cool(*Again a prefernce thing). Hope this helps.

What exactly is the "Y" stamp? What's the fuss over it? Is it kinda like how everyone wants a dimpled receiver? Excuse my ignorance :D .

As previously stated the 'Y' stamp is where the autosear pin would be. The dimples are more military-appearing. If you find one with both this receiver may have been in the military production line at one point then diverted for civilian consumption.

Ahhh... the perfect opportunity to post pics of my new baby! The Y stamp is right above the mag release.

dimpled-y-saiga-l.jpg

dimpled-y-saiga.jpg

dimpled-y-saiga-r.jpg

Thanks Micah you were my inspiration! keep up the good work

No Problem! The Y Stamp is where the auto-sear pin would go. NOT THAT I WOULD EVER consider putting one in. IMHO I think it makes it look more authentic to have both ( Y stamp & DImples).

Some ppl dont like the look( just ask tony r at tromix) and others think the dimples help with mag wobble. I think mag wobble on Saigas are due to too over zealous dremel users on the tabs. I have moded about 12 mags and none of them wobble, but I took my time to make sure that they fit tightly. I could be wrong on that one, it may have been part luck and part good mag? dunno?

Final Note: Its like having beadblasted bolt carriers, serves no purpose but looks cool(*Again a prefernce thing). Hope this helps.

As previously stated the 'Y' stamp is where the autosear pin would be. The dimples are more military-appearing. If you find one with both this receiver may have been in the military production line at one point then diverted for civilian consumption.

Thanks. Another thing learned from this place! :smoke:

Yeah I had been looking for a dimpled Saiga for a while, it was the only thing holding me back from purchasing one. After I stopped looking, one day I was at the Knife and Gun show here in Miami and guess what I saw a dimpled 7.62x39 16" laying there on the table!! I baught it for $300 out the door, which I think it's a pretty good price. I'm planning to start my convertion by January of 08, I going for an AK-103 convertion just like micah360's which I think is one of the best I've ever seen.

If anyone know where I can find those black synthetic mags in 7.62x39mm please post the link or pm me. Thank You!

Yeah I had been looking for a dimpled Saiga for a while, it was the only thing holding me back from purchasing one. After I stopped looking, one day I was at the Knife and Gun show here in Miami and guess what I saw a dimpled 7.62x39 16" laying there on the table!! I baught it for $300 out the door, which I think it's a pretty good price. I'm planning to start my convertion by January of 08, I going for an AK-103 convertion just like micah360's which I think is one of the best I've ever seen.

If anyone know where I can find those black synthetic mags in 7.62x39mm please post the link or pm me. Thank You!

I just shot it for the first time yesterday and it's the most accurate AK I own (or have ever owned... except for maybe my Saiga 308 with the 22" barrel).

Anyway... those mags are Polish polymers and they pop up for sale on the boards every so often for around $25-30 a piece. They are nice tho...

Here's a set of 5 that was for sale recently for $100 shipped. That was a great deal!

polish mags

Edited by micah360

I took new pics of my rifle yesterday and they over-wrote the old pics. I just wanted to be clear that the magazine now pictured (here, and in the pics above) is not a Polish polymer mag... it's a factory Saiga 30 round polymer mag that I modified to work with the feedramp that's installed in my rifle (they are manufactured to work in un-modified Saigas).

Just thought I'd update the post so there was no confusion (since I couldn't edit it).

dimpled-y-saiga-bw.jpg

Edited by micah360

You mentioned OC dealers won't talk about them

Yeah, I'm here too and places like Turners and Fowlers won't. I don't think the Stockade or Saddleback Guns will either.

Forget Grant Boys. That place sucks. What an attitude in there.

Try either J&J Armory in Santa Ana or Ade's in Tustin.

I've spoken to Ade, he's cool but really busy and just picked my Saiga up at J&J last week no problems.

Hey Y'all!

I couldn't figure out what y'all were talking about, so I looked at my 16" X39 and guess what? It's got dimples and a Y stamp! Except it has a pin through the Y stamp.

Also, micah360, in your last pic, what is that on the side of the gun in front of the mag by the SAIGA stamp?

I discovered Saigas about a year ago. These things are AWESOME!!!

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Y'all!

I couldn't figure out what y'all were talking about, so I looked at my 16" X39 and guess what? It's got dimples and a Y stamp! Except it has a pin through the Y stamp.

Also, micah360, in your last pic, what is that on the side of the gun in front of the mag by the SAIGA stamp?

Thanks,

Matt

In front of the mag is a latch for the sidefolder.

I'm looking for a dimpled Saiga with the Y stamp, if you want to sell it let me know, if you no where I can get one let me know. Thanks!

Hey Y'all!

Thanks,

Matt

Matt - you discovered our guns a year ago, and you just NOW posted?!?!?!?!? talk about lurking! you lurkers need to come out of the shadows and get into the group here.....welcome aboard! its ABOUT TIME!

In front of the mag is a latch for the sidefolder.

Thanks!

I'm looking for a dimpled Saiga with the Y stamp, if you want to sell it let me know, if you no where I can get one let me know. Thanks!

Not interested in selling, sorry. I found it at the spring Wanenmacher gun show. I had no idea about any dimples or Y stamp. It was the first X39 I found so I bought it (Ended up buying a 16" .223 later that day). Talk about luck!!!

Matt - you discovered our guns a year ago, and you just NOW posted?!?!?!?!? talk about lurking! you lurkers need to come out of the shadows and get into the group here.....welcome aboard! its ABOUT TIME!

Thanks! Glad to be here, great place! You're right, a year's too long. Actually, now that I think about it, it's probably been closer to two years. LOL

It all started with an S12 I found at the local gun shop. I had no idea what it was, but it was a clip-fed semi-auto 12ga shotgun, so I knew I had to have it! (It's a 23" EAA. Paid $275) I started doing research on it and found y'all, and have been collecting them ever since.

I'm getting ready to convert the X39, and would like everyone's input. I'll start a thread on that soon. I've got a list of parts going, and I want to know what y'all think.

Matt

Hey Y'all!

Thanks,

Matt

A 3rd pin through the Y stamp. Is yours F/A?

Hey,

F/A being Full Auto? No it's not.

good question, what year is it? is the FA disconnect on it, as well? do the numbers match on it?

I think it's an '06. There's nothing on that 3rd pin, the one through the Y stamp. What numbers? There's a three digit number behind the charging handle that matches the last three digits of the serial number.

As I understand it, the dimples and Y stamp on a 16" are pretty rare, right? What does this pin through the Y stamp mean?

Thanks!

Matt

post-8621-1197485071_thumb.jpg

Hey,

good question, what year is it? is the FA disconnect on it, as well? do the numbers match on it?

I think it's an '06. There's nothing on that 3rd pin, the one through the Y stamp. What numbers? There's a three digit number behind the charging handle that matches the last three digits of the serial number.

As I understand it, the dimples and Y stamp on a 16" are pretty rare, right? What does this pin through the Y stamp mean?

Thanks!

Matt

Nice rare saiga receiver you have there just that it is classified as a machine gun with that 3rd hole no matter if its pinned or welded. ATF may want to have it demilled.

I aslo saw something about some MAK 90s that had the evil 3rd hole on another forum.

"Over the years I have seen many people ask about the Chinese MAK-90 rifles that came into the country in the early 90s, and were subsequently "collected" by the BATFE.

Special thanks to "Dutchkma" and his personal first-hand experience with one of the "special" rifles. These pictures are probably the only ones in existence which closely detail the specifications.

These MAK-90 rifles were declared "contraband" by the the BATFE because of the third pin hole in the receiver. Even though they had a rivit installed in the third hole, they are still contraband because of the third hole. "Once a machinegun, always a machinegun."

I actually handled one of these back in Colorado Springs, Colorado at the local gunshow and a dealer friend of mine said to stay away from them because they were "ATF Bait."

If you run across one of these rifles for sale.....admire it.....handle it......but don't buy it. There is no way it will ever be legal to own.

KF" Quoted from Akforum.net

post-6703-1197495326_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1197495350_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1197495387_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1197495407_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1197495463_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1197495482_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1197495429_thumb.jpg

Edited by Superhawk138
Hey,

Thanks!

Matt

Since it looks more like a rivet than a takedown pin I think it might mean dont put an auto-sear pin here this is a SA .

I want to make it clear that I am not interested in the FA features in anyway I just like the authenticity/look of the dimples and y stamp.

To go FA would be

1. really really bad w/o a class3

2. Would require a new FCG(trig,ham, rate reducer,auto sear,etc)

3. modifications to the rails on the reciever(not reversible)

4. FA bolt carrier and bolt.

5. Additional Modifications

FYI to all who noticed : hey I can just file down my disconnector and I 'd have FA :ded: What you will get is an OOB discharge and a nice hospital bill. This is why the real deal employs a rate reducer.

If you want FA - Join the Army! In fact if you sign up for rapid deployment right now, you will get up to $40k, an M4 and ppl to use it on. :rolleyes: that sign up bonus buys a lot of Saigas and conversion parts. Plus once you get to the sandbox, I am sure you will have your pick of the litter on surplus AK parts lying around on dead insurgents and from the stashes you will raid.

Sorry for the tangent, I just needed to point it out, in case some newb reads this thread and thinks FA w/o class3 is cool. I dont want to F it up for anyone. Keep it legal and if you really want the rush of FA learn to bump fire from your shoulder. We have enough ppl(anti-gun) against us , we dont our own kind bringing us down!

Hey,

Thanks!

Matt

Nice rare saiga receiver you have there just that it is classified as a machine gun with that 3rd hole no matter if its pinned or welded. ATF may want to have it demilled.

I aslo saw something about some MAK 90s that had the evil 3rd hole on another forum.

"Over the years I have seen many people ask about the Chinese MAK-90 rifles that came into the country in the early 90s, and were subsequently "collected" by the BATFE.

Special thanks to "Dutchkma" and his personal first-hand experience with one of the "special" rifles. These pictures are probably the only ones in existence which closely detail the specifications.

These MAK-90 rifles were declared "contraband" by the the BATFE because of the third pin hole in the receiver. Even though they had a rivit installed in the third hole, they are still contraband because of the third hole. "Once a machinegun, always a machinegun."

I actually handled one of these back in Colorado Springs, Colorado at the local gunshow and a dealer friend of mine said to stay away from them because they were "ATF Bait."

If you run across one of these rifles for sale.....admire it.....handle it......but don't buy it. There is no way it will ever be legal to own.

KF" Quoted from Akforum.net

post-6703-1197495326_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1197495350_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1197495387_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1197495407_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1197495463_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1197495482_thumb.jpg

Great Pics you made a excellent point! I am now second guessing my desire for this config. But what if it is not drilled, is the "y" stamp enough to make it contraband? or is it once there is a hole to receive a pin then you are in trouble?

The Y stamp alone is fine, Its only when there is a hole in that location that it becomes "A machinegun". I personally wasn't too interested in the dimples and the Y stamp at first but now i want one to make a 99% accurate ak-103 clone.

Awesome! We are on the same page bro, AK103 all the way

Are you saying this is an illegal gun??? How can that be since it came from Saiga like this and RAA stamped their name on it? Shouldn't RAA have caught that?

Since it looks more like a rivet than a takedown pin I think it might mean dont put an auto-sear pin here this is a SA .

I want to make it clear that I am not interested in the FA features in anyway I just like the authenticity/look of the dimples and y stamp.

To go FA would be

FYI to all who noticed : hey I can just file down my disconnector and I 'd have FA :ded: What you will get is an OOB discharge and a nice hospital bill. This is why the real deal employs a rate reducer.

If you want FA - Join the Army! In fact if you sign up for rapid deployment right now, you will get up to $40k, an M4 and ppl to use it on. :rolleyes: that sign up bonus buys a lot of Saigas and conversion parts. Plus once you get to the sandbox, I am sure you will have your pick of the litter on surplus AK parts lying around on dead insurgents and from the stashes you will raid.

Sorry for the tangent, I just needed to point it out, in case some newb reads this thread and thinks FA w/o class3 is cool. I dont want to F it up for anyone. Keep it legal and if you really want the rush of FA learn to bump fire from your shoulder. We have enough ppl(anti-gun) against us , we dont our own kind bringing us down!

It's NOT a take-down pin, it's a permanent riveted pin.

To go FA would be

I understand what you're saying about the FA issue and I agree with you, but I think there's some confusion here. I'm NOT trying to bring anybody down! All I want is to do the standard conversion like many of you here have done. NOTHING full auto, NOTHING illegal!!!

Now that we're clear, is there a problem with this Saiga???

This is EXACTLY how it came from the factory. I have done nothing to it, and as far as I can tell, nobody else has either.

Does a riveted pin through the Y stamp make it illegal?

How did it slip through RAA?

Thanks for your help guys,

Matt