Which POSP for 3-gun/shotgun?

Okay, I've managed to accumulate a little "fun money", so I'm thinking it's time to consider some optics for my Saigas (7.62x39 and S12). I have an EOTech and a low-rise scope mount -- but that doesn't give me any magnification and I'm probably not inclined to spend the $400 to get the 4x attachment.

Given your general experience in 3-gun, what POSP scope would you recommend? Fixed mag? Adjustable? Is 4x enough or do I need something more?

Any links to good deals are always appreciated!

Thanks!

Jim

Can you make it out to Black Creek this weekend I will show you what I am using, Ron will have his Vepr I think, Eric will have his S.223, personally I would not go any more than 4x.

Kmoore has a very nice piece of glass on his AR I think it is 1 to 4 zoom it is sweet.

guess we need a 3 gun optics thread,

Edited by topmaul

Some folks, like Mike Voigt, shoot a EOTech and nothing else.

Taran Butler has been spotted shooting a Trijicon TA11, as well as a Aimpoint and a swing-out 3-power magnification glass.

Benny Hill used to run a Meopta 1-4 Kdot, but now runs a 1-4 Talon.

Jerry Miculek was running what looked like a Nightforce 1-4 (he moves so fast that I wasn't able to read the side of the scope at the match last weekend ;) ) with a JP or Doctor on a Burkett mount under the scope at the rear of the receiver.

A lot of Open shooters run glass and a dot. The Leupold 1.5-5 used to be popular, combined with a PDP4 or a C-More on the handguard. Some tricksie folks run a dot on top and a scope at 2 o'clock (the usual is a scope on top and a dot at 2 o'clock) since the dot is run on most targets (as most targets are inside 100 yards anyway) and saving the twisted-rifle position for the occasonal long-range stuff.

Having messed with the game for a little bit, I still haven't figured out quite what I like best. My current gun wears a Meopta K-dot 1-4 on top, and I tried to run that by itself at last week's match (where I took fourth to Darst, Miculek, and Hill...in that order). After looking at Jerry's rig, I may add a JP on a Burkett (yes, I have a spare parts bin that looks like a gun shop...heck, I have a gun shop with less high-end optics than my spare parts bin) to my rifle in a "Jerry" configuration for this weekend's club match and see how I like it.

My old gun was a Trijicon 01NSN on top with a JP/Burkett on the handguard. The rifle before that was a IOR with a OKO. The one before that was a Leupold 1.5-5 with a OKO. Before that was a M4 with a Reflex II/amber triangle. My spare gun is a 18" with a EOTech, and my M4 now is set up in patrol configuration with a M68/Aimpoint (tactigeek, I know). I've tried a few things.

Here, in no particular order, are a few things that I have learned:

Fast dots are more helpful to your score than slow magnification.

Field of view and eye relief are VERY important. You have to be able to hit your "full" glass easily and without head bobbing, and have a big sight picture so you can roll between targets quickly.

Uncluttered reticles are good things. The IOR 1.1-4 is a nice clear piece of glass, but the older "doughnut" CQB reticle sucks. The doughnut covers too much. I likes me some mildots, but not the middle crapfest. The new IOR 1.1-4 is much better, but I don't have one because I bought a Meopta to play with instead.

Illumination rocks. With a good (true) one to four scope, you can crank up the illumination and use the scope on one-power as a big red dot sight. Yeah, you can get the trick covers and a TA11 and do the same sort of thing with a blocked objective, but I'm just not comfortable with it. Some folks are, including some folks who kicked my ass at the Nationals this year, but I still don't like it.

Unless you are a tinkering fool (ahem), run what you have and practice with it a lot. Dry fire...practice "snapping" the gun between targets, and you will be faster in matches. Practice hitting odd positions (around a corner left and right, under a chair (to force "prone"), walking around the backyard...practice a lot without shooting ;)

If I was going to set up a gun right now with a thousand dollar budget, I'd go Meopta K-dot and a Larue 1.5 mount. Since I already have a EOtech (or three, sigh), I will probably put a 4-power magnifier on a Samson "flip" mount on my spare 18" gun to see how that works. I think that EOTechs are too big and heavy (with overly thick sidewalls around the glass), but they do "center" nicely with that dot/ring/hash mark reticle.

Yeah, helpful as mud, that is me :)

Alex

Jim, if your shooting with us at BC your going to need some magnification, what RonSwin does (pardon me Ron) is use a hight scope mount for distance and irons for shorter targets, this system works great for him and he will be taking it to Fort Benning next weekend.