Two Important Reloading Tools that every beginner needs.

These two items came up in an email to a fellow forum member and they are important enough to post.

Powder Scales

One item any beginning reloader needs is a good scales. Before you spend $100 or more on a digital scales, I recommend a simple scales that Lee Precision Manufactures.

For a beginner I recommend the Lee Safety Powder Scale. The following quote is from the Lee Catalog:

"This is the only scale that can never get out of adjustment. The beam is made from a very tough phenolic, the same type material used on table and counter tops. Phenolic is tough but, like glass, it can't be bent. Even if dropped you can feel confident that if it did not break it is still accurate. Sensitive and readable to 1/20 grain.

Lee Safety Powder Scale Item # 90681 Serv.Parts

You can get this on line for $25 or less. You just need to go one of the larger on line reloading sites. Here are a few. Just use GOOGLE and type the name and a plus sign and then reloading, like;

Midway USA + reloading

Widener's + reloading

Natchez + reloading

These scales are inexpensive (LEE products cost less but work great), but they are sensitive enough that

if you cut a piece of paper 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch the scales will weigh it.

Primers and Priming Tools

Primers cause more accidents than anything else in reloading. When you handle a box of primers (100 to a box) there is easily enough explosive to take your hand off.

The only primer tool I would use is the RCBS Primer TOOL. They sell for $20-$30 (I haven't checked in a while).

The reason I so highly recommend them is when you are pushing a primer into the primer pocket, the primer is shielded from the other primers and so if one should happen to explode, it should be confined to the one primer.

A lot of priming tools that hold usually 50-100 primers at a time do not have the same safety feature.

I am very serious about primers. When I am reloading I check every single round for a high primer.

The way I do this (and it takes practice) is to hold the loaded round upside down (bullet down). You must hold the round within 6 or 7 inches of your eye. Try to look across the head of the cartridge and see if you can see the very slight edge of the primer on the opposite side. It may sound crazy, but if I can see even the slightest edge of the primer pocket, then the primer is seated all the way.

A "HIGH PRIMER" will not be seated and you cannot see the opposite edge of the primer pocket if it is high.

--A HIGH PRIMER can "slam fire" which means it goes off in the magazine as a result of the recoil of your firearm. This occurs in firearms with magazines.

--A high primer can "slam fire" when you release the slide and it pushes the round into the chamber and as it finishes the chambering of the round; the high primer can explode.

-- A primer can explode when you are seating the bullet during reloading (depending on the make of the press).

I just want to see beginning reloaders using safe but reasonably priced equipment.

louielouie