post-8321-1196139739_thumb.jpg

I like the way this AK Weiger Clone looks, and a couple of articles have sung its praises...... anyone own one, or fired one?

It is brough in by Interordinance. Just wandering if there is enough bang for the buck.

Thanks for any info.

Robert,

Beaumont.

( http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programmin....asp?Prodid=422 )

This is what the Romanians make for InterOrdnance. It's just a WASR with different furniture.

The Wieger weapon system only came in 5.56 Nato. This is a marketing maneuver to "sell more guns cuz they got'em a fancy name".

post-8321-1196139739_thumb.jpg

I like the way this AK Weiger Clone looks, and a couple of articles have sung its praises...... anyone own one, or fired one?

It is brough in by Interordinance. Just wandering if there is enough bang for the buck.

Thanks for any info.

Robert,

Beaumont.

( http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programmin....asp?Prodid=422 )

When has any gun magazine not praised any gun they write about? If they really said what the gun was, they'd be out of business. Their advertisers wouldn't send anymore free guns to test and write glowing reports on.

That being said,Romanian AK's are notorious for being crude junk. They must be the worst Combloc guns ever made. The fit and finish is terrible. They have sharp edges everywhere. I've had them not even shoot out of the box. The sights were bent or crooked or misaligned. One gun I had wouldn't even cycle because its bolt carrier was rubbing against the receiver and gas tube. The bolt had to be ground down a lot just for it to cycle, something that should've been checked before it left the factory. Obviously they don't test fire them there or my specimen would've blow up in the firer's face! The STG2000's look like nice guns as it's an East German pattern. I'm sure the company bought up all the EG parts and made up their own. Too bad they aren't EG quality. I like the flash hider and the forend....too bad they didn't have peep sights instead of those crude AK leaf sights that were made for Kindergardeners of the third world! :chris::smoke:

That being said,Romanian AK's are notorious for being crude junk. They must be the worst Combloc guns ever made. The fit and finish is terrible. They have sharp edges everywhere. I've had them not even shoot out of the box. The sights were bent or crooked or misaligned. One gun I had wouldn't even cycle because its bolt carrier was rubbing against the receiver and gas tube. The bolt had to be ground down a lot just for it to cycle, something that should've been checked before it left the factory. Obviously they don't test fire them there or my specimen would've blow up in the firer's face! The STG2000's look like nice guns as it's an East German pattern. I'm sure the company bought up all the EG parts and made up their own. Too bad they aren't EG quality. I like the flash hider and the forend....too bad they didn't have peep sights instead of those crude AK leaf sights that were made for Kindergardeners of the third world! :chris::smoke:
I have to call "foul" on that. Romanian commercial AKs (currently known to us as WASR and STG2000) are made for very little money out of parts that don't make the milspec check. This doesnt mean that the parts are substandard or dangerous, but that they fail the higher demands of the military (do you think Remington or Weatherby produce their guns to military specifications?). The quality control budget isn't what it should be, either. OTOH, I've owned several WASRs and not had any of the trouble you describe.

Romanian AKs (the real military issue ones) are just as good as any AK. If you get a rifle made from military Romanian AK parts, you've got a fine rifle (depending on builder, of course).

Edited by nalioth

I have a WASR.

~When I got it, it wouldn't fire. I had to return it.

~The sights are so far canted that at 50 yards at maximum drift, the shot is off a full 18"+

~The gas block is canted

~The piston scrapes across the gas tube

~The wood furniture is of the absolute lowest quality that I've ever seen, the cut is terrible, the wood is the worst I've ever seen, ever

~The magwell was not finished, and the supplied steel magazine had to be destroyed to remove it from the magwell

~There were tooling marks all over the entire gun

~No edge has been rounded in any cut place

~There is bare steel in several places

~The engravings must have been done with a dremel by hand, they're crooked and ridiculous looking

It is sitting in my safe, because it is totally useless to me. It is impossible to zero without pressing off the sights, and it's going to function horribly until the gas block is turned (if possible given the hole in the barrel). $300, gone.

Edited by Twinsen

Much of the WASR's deserved bad reputation comes from Century Arms. I think they all are imported as low cap rifles and the drunken ass clown monkeys that they employ as gunsmiths convert them to hi-cap. Send the F'n thing back and demand that they send you another one (or at least fix it) until they get it right. Friend of mine had to threaten to hand deliver the POS to Vermont before they finally made it right. Looks like it would be a short trip for you...

I have to call "foul" on that. Romanian commercial AKs (currently known to us as WASR and STG2000) are made for very little money out of parts that don't make the milspec check. This doesnt mean that the parts are substandard or dangerous, but that they fail the higher demands of the military ..........Romanian AKs (the real military issue ones) are just as good as any AK. If you get a rifle made from military Romanian AK parts, you've got a fine rifle (depending on builder, of course).

Absolutely PLUS 1!

This is a very accurate assessment of the Romy variants as available in the US.

Crooked sight towers? A standard AK problem, found on many country's examples, including the Saiga.

Buy a Saiga, or a clone built by a first class builder. Or do what I did, build it yourself, with a little help from my friends. :D

I can't return the thing, the sights being off isn't good enough reason. I just want to replace the stocks (which I cannot do because of the canted gas block) and slap a scope on it and call it a gun.

As mentioned, it's a common problem.

So common, someone has had a website up for years explaining how to correct it.

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/gascantfix.htm

and don't forget to bookmark http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/ as there is a boatload of knowledge there for all Ak owners.

I can't return the thing, the sights being off isn't good enough reason. I just want to replace the stocks (which I cannot do because of the canted gas block) and slap a scope on it and call it a gun.

and don't forget to bookmark http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/ as there is a boatload of knowledge there for all Ak owners.

Remove welds, drill out pins, drill new holes, find new pins, straighten, learn to weld, refinish gun.

Oh I forgot how it would actually go: remove welds, drill out pins, notice gas hole is not centered, hire gunsmith for more than the gun is worth to correct problems.

Remove welds, drill out pins, drill new holes, find new pins, straighten, learn to weld, refinish gun.

Oh I forgot how it would actually go: remove welds, drill out pins, notice gas hole is not centered, hire gunsmith for more than the gun is worth to correct problems.

Ok, now I really call foul (you're making stuff up now).

There are no welds holding the gas block on.

There is no need at all to drill out the pins (a punch works fine)

If you can't find new pins in your shop or friends shop, you're not looking (that is, if you mangle the old ones up getting them out). I use old drill rod for pins that I may need.

The gas hole would have to be WAY off for a centrally placed gas block to not function.

Please put your drama llama out to pasture. If the gun is that bad, sell it as a "parts gun only" (have the buyer send you a letter saying he acknowledges he's buying a parts gun, needs to be looked at by a gunsmith before firing, bleh blah bleh)

The pins, not the block. And I don't own a shop.

I guess the gas hole must be a lot smaller than I think it is. The tube is crooked enough that plastic stocks won't fit on it, I'm just assuming the absolute worst with this thing.

I was just going by this: http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/gascantfix.htm

Which involves removing the welds, drilling, getting new pins.

I guess the gas hole must be a lot smaller than I think it is. The tube is crooked enough that plastic stocks won't fit on it, I'm just assuming the absolute worst with this thing.

That site was written during good ol' ban days. Back then, they welded up the muzzle and torched off the bayo lug. If you've purchased yours since the ban lapsed, there shouldn't be any welds.

I don't own a "shop", either, but my garage does a fairly good impersonation of one.

Bvamp just bought my Wasr 3

This gun would jam every 3 rounds,

the magazine catch was too short so it would skip a feed now and then

if you held the trigger down the sear might not negage

fit and finish was poor

furnature was poor,

To fix it I put a Tan Tapco set, Tapco single hook trigger group, I some people have had better luck than I have but if you ask me side by side the Saiga is a much better weapon hands down.

That site was written during good ol' ban days. Back then, they welded up the muzzle and torched off the bayo lug. If you've purchased yours since the ban lapsed, there shouldn't be any welds.

I don't own a "shop", either, but my garage does a fairly good impersonation of one.

I live in a ban state.

I always thought the AK needed a shorter sight radius. :blink:

Do a search. Someone on the forum bought the STG a while back and said it was garbage. I saw one at a gunshow a while back and was very unimpressed. The furniture was el cheapo.

A shorter sight radius!!!! The shorter your sight radius, the more room for error in aiming!! The AK's sight radius is already too short as it is combined with its absolutely crude sights and trigger , adds up to its reputation for poor accuracy! :ded:

Plus the front sight on the STG2000 is hooded which makes light gathering or seeing your front sight even worse! Seeing your front sight is paramount to making a good shot. :devil:

I always thought the AK needed a shorter sight radius. :blink:

Do a search. Someone on the forum bought the STG a while back and said it was garbage. I saw one at a gunshow a while back and was very unimpressed. The furniture was el cheapo.

A shorter sight radius!!!! The shorter your sight radius, the more room for error in aiming!! The AK's sight radius is already too short as it is combined with its absolutely crude sights and trigger , adds up to its reputation for poor accuracy! :ded:

Plus the front sight on the STG2000 is hooded which makes light gathering or seeing your front sight even worse! Seeing your front sight is paramount to making a good shot. :devil:

He was being sarcastic.

Hey BRG3, you make any furniture like that?

Not exactly.

I've done an extended lower HG for a S-308, and I've done an extended upper HG for a Romak III in collaboration with a fellow who modified the gas tube to take it.

I've wanted to see this STG-2000C in person to see if its furniture attaches in a way that interests me at all. That being said, I'm a fan of Saiga style one piece handguards.

I held one in the fun shop before I purchased my Saiga 12 and it was very bubba-licious.

It looked rather rough and beaten hard. The front handguard was two halfshells that rattled and didn't fit together well. I did however like the plastic buttstock. Needless to say, I didn't purchase it.

It's all just lipstick on a hairy pig.

• 2 weeks later...

My local store has had 2 of these for some time now, they don't really look as bad as what everyone here is describing, but to me, what looks really screwed up is that skinny assed barrel sticking out. They are threaded 1/2 x 28 with removeable flash hider, we stuck a can on one to just see how it would look, it didn't help. The trigger on the one that I looked at, "seemed" to be smooth and crisp. It's all in what you want, are looking for and willing to pay. On a different note, I did bring home a new Ruger mini 14 ranch target rifle with 8x32x40 scope on Sunday. How do you tune the harmonic thing on the barrel when it shoots 1 1/2" groups at 110 yard, best group right before I left was 1".