Thanks guys!! The friday squads did not finish today and we had to stay over tonight and complete two stages tomorrow morning. Incredibly creative and difficult stages. Rifle shots out to 400 yds. and a shotgun slug stage in a small boat with trolling motor that you cruise across small man-made pond and engage drop turner targets and swinging targets. WOW!

Edited by Ronswin
Thanks guys!! The friday squads did not finish today and we had to stay over tonight and complete two stages tomorrow morning. Incredibly creative and difficult stages. Rifle shots out to 400 yds. and a shotgun slug stage in a small boat with trolling motor that you cruise across small man-made pond and engage drop turner targets and swinging targets. WOW!

sounds like ALOT of fun GOOD LUCK!! :super:

Edited by Cryptkeeper

I finished in the bottom third of the Tac-Optics even though I should have been in Open Class. I'm not unhappy over the results considering the amount of name competitors that were there participating. I've got photos of me with Todd Jarrett and Jerry Miculek and had time to talk with them. Both are very down to earth and decent guys despite the fact they are world class shooters. It was one of the most challenging 3-gun matches I've ever done.

I finished in the bottom third of the Tac-Optics even though I should have been in Open Class. I'm not unhappy over the results considering the amount of name competitors that were there participating. I've got photos of me with Todd Jarrett and Jerry Miculek and had time to talk with them. Both are very down to earth and decent guys despite the fact they are world class shooters. It was one of the most challenging 3-gun matches I've ever done.

we would love to see those pix!

Jerry Miculek with an over-the-hill Navy SeaBee. Jerry is a world record holder with the revolver and champion IPSC/IDPA competitor:

post-7-1196900681_thumb.jpg

Todd Jarrett, another world class shooter with old SeaBee:

post-7-1196902996_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ronswin

Gallery including pics of the AMU's manufacturing/gunsmithing facilities and custom guns:

http://www.cavalryarms.com/competition/AMU...07/AMU3G-1.html

029.jpg

003.jpg

041.jpg

148.jpg

124.jpg

154.jpg

The AMU's machine shop/gunsmithing facility was very impressive. One of the AMU's missions is to enhance combat readiness by training other military units in marksmanship, and applying new firearms technology from competition to military applications.

The application of competition shooting technology to military applications is particularly apparent in Sniper Rifles and Designated Marksman Rifles. Many of the modifications to the M14 that turned it into the M21, the Remington 700 that turned into the M24, and the M16A2/A4 that turn it into the Squad Designated Marksman Rifle come directly from competition shooting.

One of the reasons the AMU hosts this match is to see new firearms and accessories, and how people are using them.

The ride in the Stryker APC to the "sniper course" and dropping the "High Value Target" with an issue M24 rifle was a hoot! I can't say as much for that damn swinging bridge since the recoil of the rifle would move it around. I still wonder what warped mind invented slug shooting from a small boat with a trolling motor.

Besides Saiga shotguns I notice one competitor using a Spas-12 shotgun with two six round mags welded end to end:

spas15.jpg

Don't see too many of those shotguns everyday!

Besides Saiga shotguns I notice one competitor using a Spas-12 shotgun with two six round mags welded end to end:

spas15.jpg

I wasn't there but I believe that was Aldo Zitta from MA with a Spas 15. He owns ZM weapons and makes the LR300.

Edited by GTOShootr

spas15.jpg

I wasn't there but I believe that was Aldo Zitta from MA with a Spas 15. He owns ZM weapons and makes the LR300.

That had to have been Zitta, as I saw the same guy on the long distance rifle stage use a ZM rifle. Between the Spas-15 and the custom ZM AR rifle, he probably had over $5-7 grand in long arms alone. Must be nice!!

I opted not to use my Saiga this year in Trooper class and it afforded me a win in Trooper. Who know I may go back to the saiga-12, but in the meantime I'll stick with the Benelli for competition. I'm getting rid of a bunch of 8rd russian mags if anyone needs some.

alan

Would it have been possible to use the Saiga shotgun in Trooper Class or would that bump you into Open? I noticed that Friday on my scorecards I was in Tac Optics so I told Linda Chico I was using a mag fed shotgun and my scores stayed in Tac Optics. Looking at the high scores in Open class I am not complaining.

In Trooper equipment is completely unlimited. It is more open than open in that you can reconfigure guns during the match, use sub-machineguns or pistol caliber carbines instead of a pistol, you just have to carry it all.

I competed in Trooper with a Saiga-12 and Alan still beat me on the shotgun stages. He is simply a better shooter most of the time.

In Trooper equipment is completely unlimited. It is more open than open in that you can reconfigure guns during the match, use sub-machineguns or pistol caliber carbines instead of a pistol, you just have to carry it all.

I competed in Trooper with a Saiga-12 and Alan still beat me on the shotgun stages. He is simply a better shooter most of the time.

Russell,

thanks for the compliment:) I just didn't make but one mistake the whole match, so I got lucky. Here is the vid I posted with my brothers vid footage.

alan

Yea, we had the same problem in Norfolk. Daniel Horner used to wipe the field, saiga's and all, shooting his belly fed gun. He's on the AMU now ...

Haven't seen him since he joined up, but that was about the nicest well mannered young man! Had been winning everything for years but still nice enough to talk with anyone giving advice and whatnot.

That seems to be a trend in the shooting sports. The top dogs are rarely anything but the nicest guys you could ever meet.

I still wonder what warped mind invented slug shooting from a small boat with a trolling motor.

Technically, I did, but it was 30 years ago and we shot at snakes and we used shot not slugs. Kids who hunt and have access to guns, boats and water will produce things like this. We just didn't have the tacti-cool clothing. I would pay money to see video of the duck boat assault with slugs.

We did do something similar with a circa 1960 Chrysler station wagon (with push button transmission) but it was with 20 gauge slugs and there was no water invovled.

So now I am sure someone else will come along and claim the credit!

PS just saw it on the video from Sinistral! That was great!

Edited by Zoub